1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 2/20/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I quit this thread right here.

Dude, do you ONLY want Rockets fans here?

Why be an asswipe? HUH?

2. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

All you rockets fans who say K=Mart is better than Gay are blind homers. I would take Gay over K-Mart any day of the week even if he doesnt play that good defense. We could use him right now.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

If you would pay Rudy freakin' Gay an average annual salary of just under $18 million dollars per season for the next three years, then you are stupid, insane, and your opinion can safely be ignored.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Am I not telling the truth? Marc Gasol had more success with the Grizz.

5. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Who said anything about his contract? Obviously he is overpaid, but so what? Players get overpaid in the NBA all the time. Joe Johnson comes to mind and we all know JJ is better than K-Mart. If you seriously think K-Mart is better than Gay, I question your NBA fanhood.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So what? SO WHAT?

What you fail to mention is that both guys you reference: Gay and JJ, are on teams that have built their cores (Atlanta and Memphis), but are no where near championship caliber. Those teams are done, there is no more building there. They are finished products. And those products are average basketball teams. Memphis has committed 60 million dollars per year minimum for the next four years to a team who can barely even make the playoffs. Atlanta is in a similar boat, just not quite as capped out.

The simple reality is:

Martin is a one dimensional scorer.

Gay is a multi dimensional scorer.

Both offer little else. The difference is Gay needs the ball in his hands, so he commits turnovers and doesn't draw fouls which helps the team. Martin does. If Gay were here in place of Martin, Lowry has the ball less and his production goes down, whereas Martin does not need the ball in his hands.

Martin is better at putting the ball in the basket than Gay (ie more effeciently). Gay can create more, which is useful in some sort of last second shot scenario, but that is low on our list of priorities right now. I can think of all of one last second shot needed this season, which Martin delivered in.

Rudy Gay is in that bucket of players (Ellis, Evans, Gay, JJ) that completely lock your franchise into mediocrity because they are flashy enough to look like max caliber guys, but just aren't.

Rudy Gay is a below average basketball player with some flashy scoring, but no real substance.

I'd much rather have Martin than Gay.

1 person likes this.
  7. Toothless_Texan

i thought Dragon looked a little queezy last few games and sure enough i read article that he's been sick. need him to start making shots

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Have you said this before and I missed it? I had no idea. It's OK, but just a surprise. Usually, fans of other teams who post here have something in their monikers to give you a clue. Anyway, glad you're around and I'm also glad I have your bias figured out regarding the Rockets.

9. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Gay is a below average bball player? Please tell me you are joking.
    Then you say you would rather have Martin than Gay?
    Yeah i'm pretty much done with you.

1 person likes this.
  10. larsv8

What is it you think Gay would add to this team that Martin does not?

11. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Better scorer, better rebounder, better defender, forces more turnovers than martin. better shooter from 2 and 3. martin barely has more assists than gay.

12. larsv8

None of that is true though.

Gay is an awful defender.

Martin has better TS%

Rebounding, I'll give you, but who cares.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about? Contracts are irrelevant?! LOL are you stupid or just plain dumb? When you talk about players being better for a team you should always have contracts in mind. Gay's making twice as much as Kmart, yet he performs around the same level. Sure he's more clutch (probably one of the best last possession scorers in the L), but at the same time he's not as efficient as Kmart, just as bad a defender as Kmart (worse actually since Kmart tries), below average rebounder and he's somewhat of a ball stopper.

Gay should be miles better than Kmart but because he always avoids contact and plays soft 99.99% of the time I think they have the same effectiveness on the court. Factor in the contract difference and Martin's better period.

14. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You're right. Martin is such an excellent defender, way better than Gay... :rolleyes:

And Rebounding doesn't matter at all right??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gay can actually get his own shot. Martin just stands around and shoots jumpers when he is open. Sometimes he drives, but he ALWAYS tries to draw the foul and he isn't getting those calls anymore. If he was still getting to the line 10x a game, then fine. But he is not. And he never will again. Gay >> Martin. The problem is his contract is awful...

15. arjun

arjun Member

ELTON BRAND will be OUT in the SIXERS game.

16. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Good points. Martin is an awful awful awful defender. Rudy Gay started his career as a lazy defender but whenever I watch him now I've noticed he's improved considerably in that area. This is what Hollinger had to say about Gay’s defense in his 11-12 player previews.

He also put him as an honorable mention for his all defensive teams, which Lowry rightly got ranked 1st team for.
    To act like Rudy Gay and Kevin Martin are the same level of suckiness on defense is just ridiculous. Rudy Gay is a better player than Martin and he would have been an even better player than he is right now if he was drafted by Houston. Our coaching staffs have always been superb and he would have developed even nicer than he has.

Not that the debate should be Martin vs. Gay anyway when he was traded for Battier, but I would take Gay over Martin even at his current contract. It's a fact that Morey's primary target in the last draft was Jonas Valanciunas (#5 pick) and Cleveland offered up their #4 pick for Rudy Gay. Morey would have traded Martin, a one dimensional scorer, for a young center oozing with potential in a heartbeat. But Martin doesn't have that kind of value around the league.

17. larsv8

They are both bad. The point is, defense is not an advantage for Gay, so he does nothing for us there.

Gay rebounds better because he is a forward and Martin is a guard.

Martin always runs the break anyway because he excels there. If you want to criticize our rebounding, look to Scola. If you are relying on wing players to get rebounds you are a bad team anyway.

Who cares if Gay can get his own shot? That doesn't mean anything. We don't have problems getting shots.

If you think Martin just "stands around and shoots jumpers" then you clearly don't know his game or what he is doing on the court. As for his FTA, his career average is 6.6 and he is down to 4.4 this season. Whoopedy Doo. He is down a little more than 1 shooting foul a game.

Gay is an overhyped overpaid volume shooter, get past it.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How many points does kevin martin average in the 4th quarter compared to rudy gay? How many game winning baskets has Kevin martin scored compared to Rudy Gay?

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If there are people who get all of their basketball information from Clutchfans, you would think that Rudy Gay is a HOFer lol.

I think Martin fits better on the Rockets because of how this team runs such a balanced attack on offense.

BUT one thing I don't like about Martin is that he does have moments where he just completely disappears (on the floor but irrelevant).

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bravo!

It also looks like Gay isnt improving. His stats have remained the same for several years now