1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 2/20/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

My new nickname for our beast Lowry:

:grin: LOWR-annosaurus Rex! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That must be a really frustrating thing to watch Pau Gasol Grizzlies swept again and again in the first round.

3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What? Do you realize that Rudy Gay shoots a higher percentage and plays better defense? Not to mention he can actually create his own shot and he has made a decent amount of clutch plays in his career. Really, he is a much better player than KMart.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rudy Gay does not play defense.

Rudy Gay creates bad shots.

Kevin Martin TS%- 56.1
    Rudy Gay TS%- 50.8

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

His team lost today...Martin's team won! #whoop

6. alethios

alethios Member

CBud has a big problem defending RGay (RNot). He probably would have lit Cbud up like a Christmas tree.

7. DUHK

DUHK Member

I AGREE! I LOVE ME SOME LEE!!

I think:
    PG - Lowry
    SG - Lee
    PF - Patterson

is a pretty good start. We just need a better forward and center.
    LETS GO DWIGHT HOWARD!

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Watched Parsons all game, focused on him. The kid plays some impressive defensive. He just seems to know where to be and what to do. His box score may not stand out, but he plays some serious basketball. Very heady player.

9. STR8Thugg

I dunno about all that "Rudy Gay does not play defense." But I said he plays better defense than Martin, which you just cannot argue. Also, not sure how TS% works but I believe it takes into account free throw %? If so, then that would make sense because Martin is a better free throw shooter. Either way, I would much rather have Rudy Gay. At least he is more of a go to guy down the stretch than Martin is.

ROCKETS WON! So I'm Happy!

10. STR8Thugg

That is completely beside the point. My point is that Rudy is a better player than Martin, and I would rather have him.

I am super pumped about the win though. Memphis always gives us fits. That was a big W tonight. Lowry stepped up like a beast.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rudy Gay is garbage.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's not garbage but some people here WAY overrate him. He's just a solid roleplayer, nothing too special. I've seen a few people talk like he's the next coming of Jordan :confused:

He's about what you get when you trade away Shane Battier. I'll give him credit for maximizing his potential, but you don't get star potential for a roleplayer/glue guy.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes, TS% accounts for free throws and 3 pters.

Agreed on the defense. Gay is better but still not really good.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

At equal money, you are probably right. But...

Martin is making 11.5 mil this year and 12.5 next year and I can only imagine the next contract he signs will be somewhat close, but less than what he is making now.

Rudy is making 15 mil this year than 16.5, 17.9 and 19.3 through 2014/2015.

Production just doesn't match that money. Not worth it.

15. STR8Thugg

Wow is that true? I did not realize he made that much. Definitely overpaid...

16. STR8Thugg

The definition of a role player/ glue guy isn't 19 and 7. If that's the case, the Rockets don't even have role players, we just have a bunch of scrubs... He is a good stater in this league but as I just found out, highly overpaid.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

He averages 19 and 6, not 19 and 7. And 19 and 6 doesn't tell the whole story. Gay is too inefficient. He has a lot of games where he hurts his team with chucking. He rebounds and defends better than Martin but he wastes a lot more possessions with missed shots, missed free throws, and turnovers.

Martin's PER this season is 17.8. Gay's is 17.2. Martin's having a down season too. His career PER is higher.

They're probably about the same level player overall. They are both good roleplayers. Neither of them is a star.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Also, I didn't call Gay a glue guy, I called him a roleplayer. Battier was a glue guy. Gay is a scoring roleplayer like Martin.

19. Mashing

Mashing Member

I especially loved how he used his footwork and space to force Gay under the basket and forced a bad pass for a huge turnover toward the end of the game. There are veterans in this league that don't know how to do that properly.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol garbage he is not, just role player he is not.

He was in conversation for allstar reserves... That has to be Top 25 players in the league.... dear OremLK