1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 3/30/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 30, 2013.

1. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

Wouldn't mind it. Smith had a good game. Will be interesting to see how the rotation goes forward with Smith, Asik, D-Mo, and T-Rob,t hough.

2. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

He's lost 2 inches of height.

JOKZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

and you are doing the same - hahaha - as for me i never dump on the team when we win. even if Lin gets benched on the 4th.

I hope mchale learns to let Lin PG for real. he can it . i was surpised that he handled those double team and traps , well. improvement!

on the 4th , i thought BEV was going to wrap it up , but to my surpise the lineup was not doing it and the clippers crawling back in. Lin came in and put a stop to that. It's not obvious, but a Lin was intaiting and feeding the ball to the correct places.

4. iohudave

iohudave Member

LIN needs cut down the TOs
    BEV needs learn how to control the tempo.

5. Little General

Do not feed the trolls
    We win = we played good!

6. torocan

torocan Member

Observations on this game...

1) Team ball is much better when Harden is off the floor. Harden's ISO moves are amazing but he calls for pure ISO's and doesn't play off the pick or make quick decisions and move the ball often enough. This can discourage his team mates from making aggressive cuts, and sometimes even discourages passing the ball as you're never sure you'll get it back.

2) Harden's absence was very noticeable in terms of the defensive effort. It wasn't perfect, but fast rotations, everyone getting back in transition, lots of contesting and even some aggressive plays for blocks throughout the game.

While Harden does expend a lot of energy on offense, I think it would be good for McHale to reduce the load on Harden in terms of offense and demand more defensive play.

I'm not really sure you can expect Harden to significantly change his game this late in the season, but I don't think it's unreasonable for McHale to reign in Harden when he's looking to ISO too much.

This can either be through reducing Harden's minutes to a more reasonable level (35-38) and allowing Anderson more play time, or through running the offense more frequently through Lin and Beverley through set play (yes, I KNOW they don't really have a playbook, but it can't be THAT hard to introduce a few more plays).

The Rockets were for the most part sloppy on the offensive end, but their crisp ball movement happened often enough to more than make up for it. They really shined on defense, and with the play offs looming I have to say it's a very impressive performance defensively.

Lin had a lot of turnovers, however he was guarded by Chris Paul (#1 leader in steals) and he was double-teamed and trapped frequently. Given the defensive pressure, I think he did okay. More importantly, he racked up fouls on the Clippers all night. The Clippers had multiple players deep in foul trouble... rough on Lin's body, but it really hurts their ability to play aggressive body up defense on us.

Beverley had a strong game offensively in terms of shooting and took care of the ball well, however I felt he didn't drive nearly often enough, especially when the Clippers went to a 3-2 zone. 4 contested perimeter jumpers. 4 team misses. Most of them at the very end of the shot clock. He still has a long way to go before he'll be starting material as a facilitator.

Anderson was the best surprise of the night. I wondered to myself why he never got much playing time prior to this. When we signed him I believed he was supposed to relieve Harden of some of his minutes. It never made sense to me why McHale continued to burn Harden for so long all season.

Anderson isn't Harden, but he's a decent defender, can drive to the basket, and can make a shot now and then. I feel McHale is underutilising him.

Asik... just a beast on the glass. And some nice post moves tonight too.

All in all, was pretty happy with the substitutions and minutes alotted by McHale. Pulled Lin when he was tired. Pulled Bev when the offense was stagnated in the 4th. Didn't ask Delfino to play a horrible mismatch at the 4 and put it instead on Smith.

And most importantly, it was a win. :grin:

7. Gil

Gil Member

This is the most peaceful I've seen this forum in a looooong time.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Smith and Asik together is definitely a bad combination for our offense, but I understand where McHale is coming from. Motiejunas is just not ready for big minutes. He has a long way to go on the defensive end. Smith is also a poor defender, but not a sieve the way D-Mo is.

9. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I am really starting to wonder how important a stretch 4 is? Especially considering that Smith adds mucho with his ability on the PNR.

10. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I don't think he handled them very well. He had some pretty bad turnovers in the first. Definitely need to work on ballhandling. That's a tough double to split or get around but at least pass it out and take advantage that they're a man down.
    That being said, he does seem to get better and better. Excited to see how much he improves himself this offseason.
    I think this will be a scary team next year. Parsons, Harden, and all our other young guys will get better.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

True, but it worked, they did a nice job together. Smith didn't back down from Griffin and the minute D-Mo came in you could see he couldn't hold his own. Still, spacing is going to be an issue but that's when ball movement becomes more critical, more body movement and quicker passing. Let's see if the Rockets are up for the task.

12. Champ06

Champ06 Member

No!!!! Jeremy wins games by having TOs. Old good Knicks' days......Linsanity

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I posted several times in this thread tonight. Please, by all means find me one where I was dumping on the team or overly negative in anyway. I pointed out some hypocratic posts, but nothing about the team or specifically Lin that was negative.

14. figment

figment Member

I'm happy for Smith but I feel bad for D-mo :( Torn

15. brick

brick Member

Well said !

16. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I'll take Smith on both ends of the floor. DMo can stroke it somewhat but not really a great presence down low off penetration the way Smith is. Morey calls him our best finisher and he's right.

17. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Lin lost his two inches period.:cool:

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

*fixed

19. novaman

novaman Member

Random Fan is a no show tonight ;)

20. Little General

Im not sure if it's bad for our offense if Smith and Asik can get the offensive boards when the others missed a shot. But I get it would be bad for our guards if they can't space the floor. But with Asik and Smith on the floor u can set very good multiple screens, the others can't do that very well.