1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Celtics @ Rockets 2/11/2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 10, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I see the sprained toe in Dec and bruised thigh 3 weeks ago. Real injuries, but not like a sprained wrist or broken fingers. The article said:

"Harden had struggled during the month of January with shooting percentages of 35.6% from the field and 25.2% from 3-point."

There it is. He was struggling for a month prior to the sore thigh from the bruised toe in December I guess. Come on man, I don't care if James has slumps. They all do. I just find it difficult to stomach people who blamed all the bad shooting on a bruised toe.

I don't degrade Harden to lift up Russ. I have given them both credit, and did it right after the game ended. Plenty on here degrade Russ to lift up Harden, even when Russ has a great game. It goes both ways my friend. Together they are unstoppable, but need their surrounding cast to play like last night, to have a chance. I'm still hoping for better support coming.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just got through watching this game again. Damn, what a game! It’s almost like watching a different team and a different coach, and as @Clutch pointed out in his column, to paraphrase, the trade of Capela for Covington unlocked it all. The Celtics are a very, very good team, with a good coach, and we battled them to a standstill. Covington’s defense was a wonderful thing to see. As the broadcast team doing the game were saying (probably the best pair to do a Rockets game this season, in my opinion), the key to the Rockets winning during the last part of the 4th would be if they could get defensive stops. Here was Covington, and Harden, playing balls out defense with each having 5 fouls. We got the stops and the win.

Brodie and James were simply tremendous. Moving Capela has opened up lanes to the basket for Russ that he wasn’t seeing before, and last night he took full advantage. They are the best backcourt in the league, no doubt about it. What about House? That was one of the best games from him this season and he had the legs for 40 minutes.

Thabo was effective during his 9 minutes on the court, although it seemed like he played longer. He put on a clinic boxing out, something I’ve thought we were decidedly average at before, and threw a beautiful backdoor pass to Rivers for an easy layup. I was like, “Where did that come from?” Thabo has clearly gotten himself in shape. Mac put in some solid minutes, as did Rivers. Excellent bench play, in my opinion. Austin only scored on that layup, but played effective defense and really moved the ball around. Ignore the plus-minus.

That brings me to Mike D’Antoni. He seems rejuvenated and it’s great to see. He’s been calling effective timeouts for the last several games, which was something he didn’t seem to do very often this season (and seasons past, to be honest, from where I sit). As Jim Jackson (who played for Mike with the Suns) pointed out, he came up with some nice plays following those timeouts, and Jackson wondered why he didn’t do more of that during games. Good question. MDA was animated the entire game. I think he loves the team he has now maybe more than any team we’ve had since he got here. Heck, we didn’t have Eric Gordon again, and I didn’t miss him a bit. What a trip. Heck, I didn’t even mention “The epic return of James Harden” in the 3rd. We missed you, James. Welcome back!

Now we have 9 days off and we need them. A great way to end this part of the season before the break. We could easily be 3-1 over the last 4 games, except for that miracle shot by Utah from the cat who’s name I can never remember how to spell. Boggyditch. Something like that. Anyway, I’m excited. Anyone else excited about the money part of the season coming up and then the playoffs? You should be, in my humble opinion. If we can stay healthy, we’re going to make some noise.

RCPM, hakeem94, Fyreball and 15 others like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden sprained his toe on Dec 29, 2019 then had a poor January.

Timeline is organic and reasonable. Just because he does not meet your eye test or you believe the sprained big toe and deep thigh bruise not severe enough like broken fingers and knee surgeries (how convenient that these are Russ exact injuries) does not make it any less factual.

You do have a bias against Harden, it's a shame that you just cannot see it.

You are a great Rockets fan but pitting 2 best friends against one another does not help the team.

RyanB, hakeem94, Fyreball and 2 others like this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Wrong dude. They both need to play for us to have a chance. I think their opposite styles are a perfect match. I have NEVEr started a "I hate so and so" thread. I prefer Russ' style just as many prefer Hardens style. I really don't care which style you like. Go pick on the people who post hater threads and bug off.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL, okay. Was being as respectful as possible but will make this the last dialog between us.

vlaurelio, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

No hard feelings D-Rock. I, like you, just want to see our team finally win that trophy once again. It's been a long time. Sometimes I am biased, just as most, towards certain players. It's just a personal preference. I try to give credit though, when credit is due to our guys. I also never wished ill will or hate on anyone. I can also be very sarcastic, but mean no I'll will to anyone personally.

I usually blame the coach for playing guys I feel underperform, or for not making adjustments when needed. It's his responsibility to not just let guys do as they wish at the expense of the team I can't blame any player for not being good enough either, so no reason to hate them. Our GM picks them out and our coach does what he can with what he is dealt.

7. Nook

Nook Member

No you are just wrong.

He has been injured for over a month and he has played through injuries when most players would not. Also he doesn’t have a bruised toe. However the fact that you would make light of a foot injury to an NBA player that relies on a skill set like Harden, tells me that you really do not understand the game well. Foot injuries are a big deal.

Second I know for a fact the lower body has been bothering him quite a bit. The team even suggested he take some time off and he said, he wants to play and win. He hasn’t said anything about his stats falling and he hasn’t complained at all with Westbrook taking a larger role while Harden is hurt. That is a very good leadership quality.

Third, James Harden doesn’t have to be your favorite player. However what you have said about him 90% of the time isn’t grounded in reality and makes you sound ignorant.

The fact is, Harden takes a beating, he has a track record for playing through injuries and every time he is hurt it only comes out later from someone else other than Harden just how banged up he was.

Also, FWIW, for a player like Harden (that has his style and arsenal) a lower body injury is worse than an injury to his hand or wrist. Harden puts a tremendous amount of stress below the hips to penetrate, to decelerate, for shooting 3’s and the step back.

vlaurelio, riko, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then Morey and MDA need to have a real sit down with Harden to protect him from himself. Of course he wants to play, but this is simple roster management. For the better part of 2020, he has hurt the team due to poor play, and if it is injury-induced, and they know it, and they keep allowing him to go out there, then that's an issue. It's February, not June. They can't be risking this dude's season on some regular season games.

hakeem94 and deb4rockets like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great posts, Deck and Nook!

vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  10. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Curry and Thompson may come back next game

D-rock, saleem and hakeem94 like this.
  11. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Chiney always holding it down for Houston

D-rock, saleem, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Wow, who do you think you are?
    90%?
    If you think I sound ignorant 90% of the time then maybe you live in a world where you think anyone and everyone is beneath you, and that only your opinion matters. Even NBA analysts and ex players can say stuff that people don't agree with, because that's life. That is reality. Go find a friend who shares your opinion 90% of the time and toot each other's horns.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Theis is proportioned like Bismack Biyombo and I wonder if he can shoot the 3..

Tatum and Hayward seem to be on the same level, who will they keep or trade?

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Gotta, say, I am getting some @KlutchQT vibes here.
    #TequilaThoughts

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm shocked that this came from ESPN. Love the chick (figuratively speaking!), who had a great take.

D-rock likes this.
  17. smp

smp Member

Their 2 man game is much better than a Capela pick and roll. Double Harden and Westbrook is off to the races. Don’t double Harden and he will torch your ass for 3.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  18. riko

riko Member

If you can’t see harden has been battling through multiple injuries since atleast mid November then I don’t know what to tell you. It’s easy for anyone objective to see. Totally agree with you

hakeem94, D-rock and Nook like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Both 6'8 but no way Theis has a 7'7 wingspan. Do you have an official measurement for Theis?

And yes, Theis shoots the 3 at 30% this season, 33% career.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

I hold my breath every time House goes in for a hard dunk. ah well, he always recovers well.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.