1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Celtics @ Rockets 12/14/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 13, 2012.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I used my phone. Samsung Galaxy Nexus

2. rockets0_12_7_1

this^ , Jeremy's just gonna have to be more aggressive with the amount of playing time he has , I was at the game yesterday and there were some shots he could've taken but he didn't , maybe he is just playing with an unselfish mentality, who knows? and as for Toney playing for most of the 4th quarter , I guess Mchale felt that he was playing effectively and there was no need for Jeremy to come back in , especially since we have a back to back and we don't want to risk anything happening to Jeremy. Jeremy fans need to learn that in New York, Jeremy exceeded because Carmelo was injured , thats why he was the primary ball handler. Jeremy needs to learn how to play with a player like Harden , and become a true point guard. Its true that Toney has more experience as a point guard , so he is earning some more minutes , Jeremy is still basically a rookie trying to figure out his game. This team has barely played for a half a season together , so there is still time for them to figure out how to play together and become effective. We are the youngest team in the league for a reason give them some time and stop complaining and whining.

3. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I feel that if Lin just look for his offense more, than everything will be fine. He's just way too passive and defenses just don't respect his shooting at all.

4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Well, Wizards have won 3 games so far this season. Does that mean they had no problems those 3 nights? While you have every right to enjoy the night, others also have plenty of reasons to point out the rooms the Rockets need to improve. At least, those fans are caring of the Rockets team beyond the night.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's a problem with that analysis first of all.
    1. That first bucket by Douglas helped the team get back in it. Then the analysis ignore part of the game when Douglas was nailing it. The game was not decided at that point. Anyone who watches basketball regularly knows this, and especially anyone who's watched the Rockets knows this. They can easily lose the lead they had. Douglas' three was first basket that gave the Rockets any breathing room. The killer instinct is something that has been lacking from this team. They've lost leads in the 4th and haven't won an OT game all season. So yes, Douglas' play in those last 3 minutes of the game were important, and the decision was not already made. Why are you diminishing the role of someone on the Rockets who helped the team win?

2. Yes he missed a shot. So did Lin, So did every player on the floor.

3. Douglas jumping on it and calling time out was great hustle and effort, that gave the Rockets another chance to score. That is good play even though you're trying to deny it. Why are you belittling hustle which helped the Rockets get a win?

4. Rebounds are not the primary duty of a PG.

5. His defense was solid. Again anyone who knows Rockets history knows that Terry has come in and killed this team off the bench many many times in the past. Why are you slamming Douglas for helping us win instead of praising him?

6. Bringing the ball up the court and then distributing it is part of running the offense. Especially when it's giving to the number one option or guy who's hot. Why are you trying to belittle the good work he did in helping the Rockets win?

So the question that keeps popping up is that the Rockets got a win, and did a good job of closing out a game that was winnable. Why would you try and trash the guys that helped that happen?

Don't you want the Rockets to win?

#1585 FranchiseBlade, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    2 people like this.
  6. steady

steady Member

Really agree with most of this. Just the last part --- maybe Ln was feeling close to McHale earlier, but i doubt still the same after being benched in 2/3 games since mchale's return. Not saying any plots, just mchale doesn't seem to be a player development coach like d'antoni or adelman.

7. Luca

Luca Member

Uh, the reason why Lin succeded last year because of the injuries and Toney sucked as a PG and the knicks lack of good PG. Toney is a SG in a body of a not really good PG with the Knicks. Lin still played well as A 3rd option scorer after Melo & Amare's return and that under woodson. His stats were 18/8.

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I think you are right. And I do think Lin should shoot more just to penalize the disrespect. I would shoot the ball even if I'm already 1/10 -- Lin's not that bad anyway.

If that's the problem McHale had with Lin, I've no problem him sitting Lin. But It's ridiculous to me for McHale to cite he didn't put Lin back in because TD played well. At least that's not for the long term well being of the team.

9. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

I'm a Lin fan but Douglas doesn't get enough credit on this board. Rockets looked like they were gonna be trash at the backup 1 beginning of the season. Now you have Douglas, who not only found his stroke this year and has made some big shots, but can keep the team in the game against starters. I honestly thought Douglas was the worst backup 1 in the league a few months back. He's proven he's far from that.

Far as Lin, the guy is being misused but it happens all the time in the NBA - look at Pau's role last couple seasons - 7 footer being forced to camp at the arc. Lin will be undeniably good by the end of the year I'm pretty sure. The guy thrives when everyone is doubting him and he really has nothing else he cares about except basketball. Let him get benched a couple more times, or demote him to backup, he'll prove what he's worth and fix his weaknesses.

10. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

Pretty simple folks. McHale loves threes. Douglas can shoot threes, it's the only real + to dougie.

I'm glad we beat the Celdicks.

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

McHale seems to value scoring ability greatly. Douglas has more of a scorers mentality than Lin and Asik is losing minutes to Smith because he can finish stronger. Delfino can't dribble, can't pass, but can shoot the 3 so he gets more minutes than he deserves.

Even if Lin doesn't have good shooting nights, taking more shots will greatly help his development. He'll lose minutes to TD regardless if he takes more shot or not so might as well take more shots and if hits them, then more playing time.

Insert random quote:

To be successful you have to be selfish, or else you never achieve. And once you get to your highest level, then you have to be unselfish. Stay reachable. Stay in touch. Don't isolate.

Michael Jordan

12. Luca

Luca Member

I want the Roxx to win and I'm happy with the win. I'm just pointing out an analysis made by a member here. Please where did I trash Toney in this post? I disagree with what you said about Douglas playing well.

13. Luca

Luca Member

Anyway, the Roxx won so that is all good by me?

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You trashed him, by denying or belittling everything he did to help the Rockets win. You tried to go out of the way to use a bogus analysis in order rationalize away the work, effort, and results Douglas had in helping the Rockets win.

The biggest case was ignoring everything Douglas did within the last 3 minutes. Rockets have had break downs in the 4th quarter all year long, and haven't won an overtime game. To ignore the last three minutes of a game and pretend the Rockets already had it won at that point is to ignore what has already happened with the team this year.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

If you are happy the Rockets won, then I'm happy. It should be a time for celebrating. We beat the Celtics. It was a team win, and everyone on the team who played in the game was a part of it and deserves credit.

16. rockets0_12_7_1

This is a different team with different ethics , you can't compare Lin's play making abilities under Woodson or D'antoni compared to Mchale's , this is a young team still trying to figure out how to play with each other effectively. Next season Lin could be having the same stats again or even better who knows? I just want to make a point that Lin is not going to get traded when we've only been playing for barely half a season.

17. Luca

Luca Member

Ok, it's all good to me. Tbh all i want is the team and Lin to do well. It is an exciting young team and I hope the coaching staff get it together.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

That's exactly what I was saying earlier.
    Unfortunately much of Douglas' recent performance gets traduced by some seeking to prop up Lin
    but the reality is that the Rockets have benefited greatly from the fact that there is no a great drop off between starter and backup at the point guard position.
    It's all the more interesting when you consider that they bring very different skill-sets to the game.

I just hope he's able to keep it up for the duration because what I once thought was basically a throwaway season has now become a very exciting and intriguing one.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I agree. I was lamenting keeping Douglas and not Livingston after the start of the year. I thought he was horrible. I couldn't be more happy that he's been more productive and not a drag on the Rockets.

It's an incredibly young and exciting team with a lot of potential, and I think they are going to all learn more as they play and gain experience, and will grow together as well. It's a huge upside for this team. They're fun to watch, and should only get better.

20. Luca

Luca Member

I agree but some veterans from this forum don't think that Lin is part of the long term plan of this team and it is a shame. Hope things turn out to be the best for this team.