1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Bulls @ Rockets 11/21/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Why not if Lin is as bad as people think he is, then he will benefit us by getting more losses and hence with a better lottery pick. This is the worst that can happen right? With Jeremy playing more, we will lose more games and get a better pick and end up drafting a pg. so what do u have to lose?

2. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

First, I didn't question tonight benching. It's the other times when Jeremy is beginning to play well, when he gets inexplicably benched.

Second I agree. I can't understand such hatred toward a player and I wish Morey never matched the Knicks offer.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

No way is he an elite defender. But he's not a bad defender either.

Overall Lin is not playing well. It just so happens that Douglas is playing even worse, and those are our only two options.

4. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Dear Sad,
    What is the basis for you saying that Lin "has played horrible"? It is true that his shooting has been bad but the rest of his game has been good. The primary responsibility of a point guard is to run the offense and get the ball to the open man. All of his other stats - assists, rebounding, steals, blocked shots have been good. Poor shooting alone does not make him a horrible player. I'm sad that you think that.

5. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

As a Lin fan I have already starting considering the possibility that he is what he is... He is what his stats say he is. That linsanity was a fluke. That most talent scouts were right. That Stephen A is right. It hurts... Because it was such a great story, a fairy tale.... everyone wanted that fairy tale to have that happy ending.

6. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

You are saying tangential things to prove your point. if you haven't noticed, rockets have already committed to Lin as the starting pg. Once u mske that commitment a la Miami with tannehill, browns with wheedon,, you just don't pull the player because of few mistakes.

7. TTNN

TTNN Member

yeah, I think Lin would be strong enough to stand being benched if he is not producing, like today. But i wonder who would be strong enough to stand being benched when he is producing, multiple times. That would mess up a lot of people.

8. 34to11

34to11 Member

I can agree with that.
    For the record, I don't think Lin is as bad as he has seemed so far, I just think he has been miscast.

I am just perplexed by the ridiculous excuses some of the Lin Loyalist come up with to rationalize Lin not meeting their exaggerated expectations.
    To call the coach racist or to imply that Lin is mentally weak (and therefore in need of special coddling) is beyond the pale.

9. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

It ain't over after 12 games!!

10. torocan

torocan Member

No matter how much you try to pretend you're being objective, all you show is that you WISH that Lin is going to be a static player, when history has shown us over and over that he has NEVER been a static player.

This was true when he was in High School, at Harvard, and in the NBA.

1540 minutes, 73 games, with 35 Starts... LESS than a full season of games, averaging 21 minutes per game over his career, with LESS than HALF a season of Starts at the age of 24, and you take the position that this is as good as he will EVER be.

You discount his 25 starts in NY as a fluke, then claim that 11 starts in Houston with a new roster, 13 new players, under his 2nd coach in 11 games, after rehabilitation from Knee surgery is the end all definition of him as a player.

That is not only irrational, but goes against the history of player development. What it does demonstrate is a clear level of prejudice against Lin as a player. You've already arrested, judged, and executed Lin's career based upon the flimsiest of evidence.

I'll keep my bets on Lin, thank you very much.

1 person likes this.
  11. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Omer Asik is a poor offensive player - does that make him horrible?? No he is a good rebounder and defender. Lin is a good passer and defender.

12. Grape_Swisha281

Omer is improving every game, Lin not so much.
    Quick question who has scored over 10 points more this season Omer or Lin?

13. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

Right on!!

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't hate Lin, I like Lin and I still think there is a very good chance he will be a big success here. It's the Lin fans that are turning everything sour around here.

When a player plays poorly, whether it's Lin or any other player, people here and at all sports forums will be critical of that player. When Lin or any other player plays well then the player will get a lot of love. It's just the way it works on sports message boards.

I've been at Clutchfans for more then ten years, I've seen many players come and go, and I have never seen the board in such an uproar. The Lin fans need to stop being overly critical of every little coaching decision, and just know that when Lin starts playing well, he will be extremely popular around here. You just watch, if Lin has two good games in a row, everyone around here will be saying he should be MVP of the league.

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Sampson is coaching this team like a college team.

He's giving the best players playing time that deserve it

16. 34to11

34to11 Member

No, thank you for going through all of that trouble to ultimately bolster my point.
    Sadly, you probably don't even know you did it.

17. Grape_Swisha281

LoF are the reasons Lin gets so much hate on this board... oh the irony

18. pistol111847

pistol111847 Member

I don't know - I think they average about the same. You're missing the point though - scoring is not the main thing to judge either player. Asik's rebounding and defense are more important to the team than his scoring. Lin's passing and defense are more important to the team than his scoring.

19. Grape_Swisha281

because Toney Douglas doesnt provide defense or passing, hell at least TD will make an open 3....

20. alethios

alethios Member

Lin went from a team where when he started, he was able to build an instant rapport with his players because he trusted their experience and was able to fit into that D'Antoni system. Here, he's taking longer to build that trust in himself and his teammates. Right now, he's the proverbial square peg in the round hole in this system. I, like others, keep hoping he'll start to come out of his slump and start playing with some swagger, but I think realistically we're going to be in for a long rode ahead. One that, frankly, very few on this forum have the patience for.

1 person likes this.