1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 4/23/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

Houston sports is a grim grim thing...we've had our hearts ripped out from us so many times.

With Cleveland they don't ever get a chance...it's harder for us because we expect to win...then the playoffs come around and we get embarrassed.

I mean if we go down in a epic 7 game series then so be it...but not like this man...

Just like the Texans, getting clowned by the Pats...

It's always like this recently.

2. team5

team5 Member

So he was instructed by coach to foul? I didn't think he would make that decision himself.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Based on the reaction of the other players, I don't think he was instructed to foul.

4. team5

team5 Member

This quote in sungrindkid'a post I was talking about.

5. Insider Thought: The time to foul

From ESPN Insider Kevin Pelton

There are no good answers to the dilemma Houston faced after James Harden's 3 cut Portland's lead to 3 with 30.7 seconds remaining. Instead of playing out the possession, the Rockets fouled intentionally. Damian Lillard made both shots, and Houston never threatened again. Had the Rockets played defense, they surely would not have gotten the ball until the final 10 seconds, and they would have needed a stop to have a chance to tie. Given their difficulty defending LaMarcus Aldridge -- and securing the rebound when they did force a Blazers miss -- the foul was justifiable and possibly even smart.

5. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Here's the thing with Dwight...he takes far more contact than anybody in the league without getting a whistle. He also gets whistled for the slightest contact on D. It's baffling how that occurs the way it does. There are players that you literally can't breath on like LMA,Durant,Dirk, LBJ, etc. As a superstar he gets literally ZERO benefit on calls. The defenders guarding him are bumping him so hard it reminds me of a pinball machine. And he is fouled pretty often on throw downs with no and 1.

6. langal

langal Contributing Member

Jocar and theAce are 2 smart chicks. We would totally be up 4-0 if it weren't for LIN.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Yes, I read that. I'm simply saying I don't believe they were instructed to foul, based on the reaction of the other players on the court.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Hmm sounds like Yao all over again.

It's the NBA's way of keeping the game interesting and the clock ticking. They can't call every foul because the game would become an eyesore, when you have two freaks of natures that overpower their opponent's centers.

9. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Decent until the last few seconds. Really shouldn't have fouled. That was a dumb mistake. Or was that Mchale's idea? Still, even if it was, he shouldn't have done it.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Both Shaq and Yao went through that same dilemma. The excuse that I've heard is the refs don't know how officiate gifted big men like D12, Yao and Shaq.

11. Dogtag

Dogtag Member

rockets in 6 #still Believe

12. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

The should have fouled but not that early. Lillard wasn't even up the court yet.

But then again seeing how we were playing it's a tough call. With our luck LA makes a 3 point shot while getting fouled leaving us with only a few seconds left.

13. team5

team5 Member

Ok so we don't really what happened. I was assuming "rockets decided to foul" instead of Lin decided to foul meant something.

14. AuburnRocket

True. That's why I loved watching Hakeem. He would dreams hake your ass to death. I had the privilege of watching the Rockets take game 7 and the Championship against the Knicks in person. The next year I was in Maui and watched Hakeem dream shake Shaq's ass to death.

15. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Please review the game and tell me how many times he was in the position to attack. I only counted a handful. Most of the time he was hiding in the corner waiting for a kickout.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

In addition, we feel disrespected by the msm media, and then lay an farking egg. Guess what, the joke is on us. :mad:

17. AuburnRocket

Fine...then don't call the nookie fouls like LMA and the others get. If you are going to allow contact on DH then allow it all over the court. Shoot sometimes the refs anticipate the foul...I think the whistle starts blowing before there is even contact (even when there actually IS contact).

18. AuburnRocket

Sometimes I'm wondering what part of the "gifted" they are most interested in?

19. Andrew Wiggins

Oh look, someone else noticed this.

20. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Good analysis. In the end it comes to the difference in the performance of both teams' superstars. LMA just steps up and outshines Harden by the mile while D12 and Lillard about equal. LMA killed us while McHale did nothing as a coach to make defensive adjustments to stop LMA. Pathetic.