1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 4/20/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 1)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

My analysis: I had many concerns heading into this series. The biggest was Terrence Jones ability to cover Aldridge. I knew LMA would abuse T-Jones. I think they need to give D-Mo a shot. If that doesn't work, do a Harden at PG, Parsons at SG, and Garcia at SF, with Howard and Asik controlling the paint. Secondly, Parsons needs to hit his open shots. That flat jumper will haunt us. Put some arch into it and it might go in more often. He's a 37% 3PT shooter... dude could get it higher if he put more arch in that shot. Lastly, why not give Troy Daniels a try? Now THAT is a guy who will hit open threes!

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think not having Lopez in the end actually hurt the Rockets somewhat because now they have to force one of their big men on Adridge. That's why they did the pick and roll to free up Adridge for the 3 because they know Howard is not going to come out to guard him. I just think the Portland coach is way too smart when it come to strategy and our coach is just stupid and dumb.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I'm sure it has already been said, but I'm not too down after this loss.

It took what will probably be the worst game of the series by Harden plus what will most likely be the best games of the series by LMA and Lillard to beat us by 2 in OT.

As was mentioned in the podcast we had double digit leads in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th plus a quick 6 point lead to start OT. As bad as things went we were in control at so many points of the game.

I just don't see the stars aligning like that for Portland 3 more times. It's not going to be easy, but I think we got this in 7.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

The guys better win this for McHale, or he won't be back next year.

5. chatterjb

chatterjb Member

The Rockets did this the whole year. Part of it is constant turnovers and shooting a ton of 3s. That's just who the Rockets are this year. It's easy to build a quick lead that way, but if you go dry for a spell shooting a tons of 3s and turning the ball over, it's pretty easy for a decent team to mount a good run. The Rockets, IMO, just don't play intelligent basketball once they have solid leads.

I have also been saying this all year long...James Harden's defense is a joke. It really is. It isn't even average, it's a liability. I'm surprised more teams don't go right at him like Portland did. At least we have legitimate reasons for letting LA go off, but there is no excuse for Harden's incompetence and complete lack of effort playing D against Wes Matthews. Everything he does is fundamentally wrong. He constantly gambles going for steals, he doesn't move his feet, and he routinely loses track of his man off of screens. It's really quite painful to watch.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Does anyone have the intro video from last night?

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I still can't believe we lost... That game was ours to lose

8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I was at the game and I just feel like it's done sorry. They came into TC game 1 a rocking crowd against the harden howard duo who you know wanted to make a statement and just punched us in the face. Portland drew first blood from us and I'm telling you all game 2 will not have the same energy as game even if it is a must win. That's why game 1 is so important it's a reason why teams who win game 1 win the series 80 something percent of the time. It was a real heart breaker and I don't think the fans or the team can muster anything else to win this series.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I am as depressed as anybody over last night's choke, but surely you realize how ridiculous you sound saying "it's done" after 1 game, right? I mean...you can't possibly be that ridiculous, no?

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not at all just really really heart breaking. Me and wife's first playoff game ever and everything was perfect except the outcome. Even if we win the series we lost when me and my wife were at the game. I just really wanted a victory for me and her.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Still in shock. We had no business losing that game.

Watching this game you got the feeling that whoever won this game would eventually go on to win the series. Rockets need to win at least 2 out of the next 3 games to take this series.

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Very true. And Portland made some really lucky shots to keep them in the game

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Did you watch the game at all? We had no business being ahead most of that game. We should have been down 20 early on.

14. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

People keep saying Harden won't be that inefficient for the whole series, but he also hasn't been forced to defend like that before. I think we only have a sample size of ONE (this game) when the opposing offense targets Harden on the defensive end. Maybe being forced to "defend" causes that horrible offensive performance (tired, lazy settling 3s, bad accuracy, etc.) Sample size of one though, so who knows? We'll just have to wait and see...

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Oh, he was forced to defend last night? I must have missed it.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? I watched the entire game dude. Portland played like crap most of the 2nd half and Dwight was playing well. Even James hit a few shots. Up 11 with 4 min to go, there's no way in hell we should have lost.

If McHale keeps Dwight in during hack-a-Howard we win. Plain and simple.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I just don't think that was it. They really only went at him hard early in the game. For whatever reason they stopped giving it to Matthews in the post as the game went on. After that first quarter it didn't really seem to me like they were "forcing" him to defend any more than what's normal for him.

Plain and simple Harden started 0-5 from 3 and from what I can remember most if not all of those 5 were pretty good looks. I think nerves got to him early and he just never fully settled in. It sucks that it was the first game of the playoffs and things are going to be magnified because of it, but I really just think it was an off night for him. Don't expect to see anything like that again this series from Harden.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As he did last night, Harden again accepted responsibility for game 1 result. Emphasized need to be more aggressive attacking basket</p>&mdash; Jason Friedman (@JasonCFriedman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonCFriedman/statuses/458335140544921600">April 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. alethios

alethios Member

I sincerely hope we make some adjustments for game 2. I'm glad it's not til Wednesday to give Bev's knee a couple of days rest.

Got to admit that Stotts has a good game plan against us and it worked pretty well last night, though he freely admitted they got lucky on couple of occasions.

What killed us was the poor offensive choices at the end of the fourth quarter, the late defensive rotations, Jones leaving his feet too soon and some missed baskets. This game really could have gone our way if one or two more things had happened in our favor.

20. Clarinetmonster

That would suck.