1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Full Josh Smith Highlights from his Houston Rockets Debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 26, 2014.

1. gametime

gametime Contributing Member

Canaan did show a lot of promise. Nick Johnson too at times (though Brewer is definitely an upgrade).

I don't want Smith taking shots away from Harden, so I'm hoping he keeps coming off the bench. They'll still be on the floor together at times, but we need his energy for the second unit.

2. baubo

baubo Member

Obviously I preface by saying small sample size alert, but I noticed several things watching his shots.

1. He's not dunking as much as I expected. I chalk it up to Memphis defense. But there may be something to the fact that his athleticsm is declining. Hopefully I'm wrong. On the flip side, he does have a nice touch on his layups that I like.

2. His post ups looked pretty awful. The Rockets saw some mismatches like when he was guarded by VC. He could not take advantage. This was probably the aspect of his game I was most disappointed by. Small sample though.

3. His ability to get to the rim is something I haven't seen since Terrence Jones went out. Definitely the biggest gain from this signing. Definitely attached downhill.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

[Ball Don't Lie] Josh Smith's debut is a success in Rockets win
    by Eric Freeman

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ut-is-a-success-in-rockets-win-062335162.html

A single game can't alleviate all doubt, but Smith's Rockets debut on Friday night vs. the Memphis Grizzlies should help ease some minds. Coming off the bench for 32 minutes in a 117-111 overtime win, Smith didn't shoot especially well (9-of-21 FG, 0-of-2 3FG). However, he attacked the basket with regularity and helped give the offense another interior option on a night when big men Dwight Howard and Donatas Motiejunas managed just eight field goal attempts against the vaunted Memphis defense.

It's entirely possible that Smith will fall deeper into his worst habits on a team that encourages its players to take three-pointers. At his best, though, he's an ideal offensive x-factor with defensive versatility that any team would crave. The Rockets might not know which version of the player they'll get from night to night, but the potential is there for big-time success.

4. PeppermintCandy

Rewatching the highlights made me think of Royce White. I think smith is close to the type of player Morey envisioned White to develop into.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Yeah they were. Those two rebounds won the game.

6. craguin

craguin Member

Josh is playing with a couple of physical issues [hip flexor (strain?), groin (pull/strain?), toe] and is admittedly not operating at 100%.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I got goosebumps watching those offensive boards. I still have PTSD from that Yao/Tmac playoff game against the Jazz when we couldn't get the ball back because Utah kept beating us on the boards to close out the game. We we're eliminates in that game and all I could think was we would have won had we just grabbed one or two extra boards...

8. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

Josh isn't a great shooter but he can play D, rebound, and handle the rock in transition. He's also athletic which bolds well for PnR plays w/ Harden.

More importantly, though, is the intensity that Smith brings to the team. Some people think he has an attitude but I think the Rockets could use a little more toughness... a little nastiness. There are times when the team seems to sleep walk during games when Bev is off the floor so it's nice to have another player like Smith to keep the intensity level up. Matter of fact, as much as I like T Jones, I think the one thing that holds him back is his consistent effort and intensity on the floor. He has a goiod skill set but just doesn't bring it every night. Again, Smith adds another player to the lineup that delivers intensity and toughness.