1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] For Rockets, winning in 2012 would be nice, but losing might be better

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

You really hit the nail on the head Clutch. It's absolute insanity to undermine our chances of getting that elusive franchise player just to finish with a winning record in a shortened season. For my part, i will be judging McHale on the way our team plays and the development and maturation of our young talent. without a single allstar on our team, I have no idea why we would mortgage the future just to stay competitive. In fact, as a fan, i can tell you that i would rather see a losing team with tons of upside than a better-than-average team with no upside. Wallowing in mediocrity is absolutely the worst of all outcomes.

2 people like this.
  2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Let's see if morey would trade Kevin Martin for iggy because we need a superstar

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

No Murray!!!!!

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm a CD guy in a lotto (sic) ways, but change out Morey for Dawson in that MEMO and Volia! High Lotto impends!

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It's funny, Clutch and I were talking about this very issue yesterday via email!

Since the stories that came out yesterday afternoon about Nene wanting to get PAID, I have since backed off my desire to go all-in for Nene (especially since I no longer believe the Rockets can conceivably get him now). While I'm still in favor of winning with a scrappy team of mostly young players (Scola's the only guy on the team north of 30, and he's just turning an NBA-young 31), I think the mostly likely way to get better is VIA TRADE. That is how this team will improve. Not with a mid- to late lottery pick.

Don't discount the value of the Knicks' pick obligation. Even though the Knicks are expected to make the playoffs in the East, the fact that the pick is only top-5 protected (it is rare to have another team's pick with such little protection on it) makes it a very attractive trade asset. One key injury to Melo or Amare, and that's potentially a top-10 pick.

The combination of young players, expiring contracts, the Battier trade exception and the Knicks' pick are the ammunition that Morey will use to get a deal done. Not a future Rockets lottery pick (which Houston can't even trade due to the T-Will deal and the Ted Stepien Rule).

Since I don't see this team UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES (including if Martin and/or Scola are traded) being so bad as to be legit contenders for a top-3 pick, I'd rather just win games, maybe make the playoffs, impress the rest of the league, and improve the chances of Houston being viewed as "a team on the rise" to which free agents want to flock. The oodles of cap room won't hurt, either.

1 person likes this.
  6. jae713

jae713 Member

Why not make a stupid trade instead. We get rid of a couple of our young talented guys and in return get a border line star back. We would still suck so this would not affect the tanking at all and in return we might land a player that other stars would want to play with. Playing with Nene or Boozer can make this city more attractive to other stars than playing with Scola.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Drummond the next Hakeem?

8. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

You really want to be the Atlanta Hawks? They have a bunch of borderline stars but are 1st and 2nd round fodder every season.

Have they attracted any high end FA's?

I hope the Hakeem and McHale factor influences Dwight to sign or get sign and traded to Houston.

9. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I was more optimistic about this approach until I saw just how hard other teams are going after the top FAs this year. Boston is already to dump Rondo just for a CHANCE at Paul. NJ is ready to dump Lopez and 2 first rounders for Howard. It is starting to look very unlikely we would be able to get either. Paul has already indicated he's willing to sign with NY straight up maybe even for a salary discount.

I disagree that we could be a terrible team if we trade Martin and Scola. Lowry is good and Lee is average. We will have a weak center with Hill/Thabeet/Hayes. Morris and Patterson are promising but clearly need work. One of the few development truths in the NBA is that players can learn a lot about defense and passing in their 1st 2 years. That's exactly where we are with those two, which is why they won't produce that many wins now, but will be good fits in a year.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is not the first time a super fan is smarter than the people who do this for a living. Through the years I have read many many insightful comments from Clutch and many of you. I hope the Rockets read this board to find out what their most radical and knowledgeable fans are thinking. Make fun of me if you wish, but I am dead serious.

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Agree 100% with the article, this team as it currently stands is not even close to being a contender. Its a tough call, gutting the team will make it look unattractive to potential future free agents, but then again you won`t be getting as good a draft pick.

I`m probably the biggest Scola fan but I think he has to go, NOW!!!, his value will never be as high as it is currently. You trade when your assets are worth something, I don`t think holding on to him just so he finishes his career as a Rocket makes much sense, especially when nothing is going to be accomplished. I`d rather he go to a contender and win something anyway. I would probably also get rid of Martin, he`d be a great piece to the puzzle for a team like Boston. Make it happen Morey.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree that Scola to Boston and Martin to Chicago makes some sense, but I can't seem to figure out how we could corral a decent pick next year for either.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Let's say we trade Scola and Martin for trash and/or picks. We let Hayes walk, and trade Flynn or Dragic (because we don't need both for the season we're trying to have).

Our lineup would be:
    Lowry, Dragic/Flynn
    Lee, T-Will
    Bud, Morris
    Patterson, Garbage
    Hill, Thabeet

How many games can we win with that lineup? I think we can be one of the 5 worst records in the league.

14. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Funny how the threat of losing the entire season makes me feel better about tanking. I'd rather watch the Rockets lose than not watch them at all.

1 person likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm all aboard the tank train. Have been.

I understand Bima's logic, but just don't see how we will be able to trade KMart or Scola for better players. Even including draft picks. The better players out there are obviously Paul and Howard. And other teams seem to be able to put together better packages. And Paul and Howard prefer to play for those other teams over the Rockets.

So instead, maybe Martin and Scola miss 20 games here or there. Morris looks to be the real deal, but needs a year or two of seasoning to impact winning. And the Rockets put up a top 10 lotto pick type season. And maybe top 10 is closer to top 5. Top 5 or top 10, in a deep draft, that becomes a desireable asset, either for the Rockets or another team, that Morey can do something with.

Then you have cap room, you have assets, you have a full season ahead, you have a 2nd year guy in Morris who hopefully is a meaningful player, you have DMo potentially coming over, and you still have Lowry/Martin/Scola to build around.

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

To have McHale as head coach is a good sign to have a losing year in 2012, then we can keep this draft pick. I also hope that they can trade Scola or whoever for a high draft pick. Current team has no hopes to get a NBA title, Les need stop dreaming, let be real.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even think you win a championship in a video game with that roster.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The problem here is that high draft picks are hard to trade for, and even harder in a potential deep draft.

See draft notes here: http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2012

The only team with a non protected lotto pick for 2012 is the Jazz, who hold the Warriors 2012 pick (top 7 protected). Then look at the other bad teams (Wolves, Cavs, Raptors, etc.) Not sure why any of them would trade their unprotected 2012 pick, unless it was a MASSIVE salary dump involved as well (ala the Clippers trading Baron Davis).

But anyway to acquire more high lotto picks, I'm for.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Without Martin, Scola, and Hayes we would be a very bad team.

PG Lowry, Dragic, Flynn
    SG Lee, T-Will
    SF Bud, Morris?, T-Will
    PF Patterson, Hill, Morris
    C Hill, Thabeet

Oh and don't forget the MAJOR coaching downgrade. Add everything up and you have a pretty ****ty team.

If we decided to keep everything together then we would need Howard in 2012.

PG Lowry
    SG Martin, Lee
    SF Bud, Morris
    PF Scola, Patterson, Morris
    C Howard, Hill

Does that look like a potential championship team to you? It certainly doesn't to me. We would still need a legit scorer who can command a double team and pass out of a double team.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fantastic article.

I would have disagreed all of the last years (as long as there was still hope that Yao could come back, and we still had Battier and Hayes).

However, still somewhat reluctantly because it is hard to watch games somewhat cheering to lose, I am all for "tanking" (not deliberately losing, but switching to "developing talent" mode) this year.