1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Finally! First Scrimmage Footage of Dwight Howard with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2013.

1. bmd

bmd Member

Anybody who is trying to draw conclusions from 10 minutes of the first scrimmage should be ignored.

Anyway... it isn't so much about making and missing shots. I mean, of course you'd like to see Casspi and Jones and everybody hit their shots.

But it is more about what happened leading up to the shot. Did they get a good look? Did they make the right pass? Did they make the right play? etc. On defense, are they in the right spots, are they getting beat, are they closing out, are they boxing out, are they too far in the passing lane and getting beat backdoor, are they sagging too much, are they not rotating well, etc.

If they can shoot, the shots will fall. Missing a couple shots during a 10 minute scrimmage is nothing. Harden missed a layup. It's not a big deal.

2. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Come on, what do think us closet coaches have been doing all summer? Watching TV? 9 minutes is plenty of time man! And you did miss something, something big called the Jeremy Frkn Lin still ain't got no left hand:cool:

3. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I believe Asik is injured, can't play. And he's probably depressed over the fact that he can't play. McHale plans to give him minutes. He shouldn't be too concerned at this point.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Is that Robert Covington starting at the 5 next to TJ?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I never thought Casspi was any good. Seeing him get pushed around on D and missing wide open shots just gives me more reason to believe he won't be any good for us this season, if for some reason he isn't cut.

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Lin, Harden, Parson, Jones and Dwight sound like a good line up to me.

My thoughts though.

Lin looks better, I guess less pressure?

Harden, Did you really miss that right hand lay up?

Parson, I feel this will be his year. Granted he missed some shot here. I rather see it in action.

Jones, Boy oh Boy... We got a Star in the making.

Dwight, Looks good out there.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Just to be clear, you mean the 2 shots he missed gives you more reason to believe he won't be any good for us this season. Okay.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well it certainly doesn't help.

I hope I'm wrong and he becomes the new Delfino, but I don't see it.

9. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

We only know he used to be able to shoot back in 2010-2011. His first two seasons he had FG% of .43 and 3P% of .37 the last two seasons he had FG% of .40 and 3P% of .32. His career FT% is only .66.

He even shot poorly during EuroBasket this summer. FG% of .37 and 3P% of .28.
    More like a few bad years!!!

10. kcd

kcd Member

Lin looked great, although he needs to work on his free throws.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Well to be fair, I don't think any judgement should be made off of 2 shots. Ever. But we can agree to disagree on that.

Off of 694 career threes, Casspi has made 35.3% of them. Compared to Delfino's 36.5%

694 shots, versus 2 shots.

So there's that.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not judging him based off only those two shots. As I just said, I never thought much of him. Seeing him struggle doesn't help me think better of him - which I would like to because I would like to see him succeed.

And again, because it's been a couple sentences since I've said it, I'm not judging him solely based on two shots.

So there's that.

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

14. King901

King901 Member

Who was harden saying needs to pay more attention?

15. eomor131

eomor131 Member

Thanks Clutch!

Lin's you've changed bro drive was so funny.
    Jones looks more strong!

I like overanalyzing in this type of videoes.
    Just ENJOY!

16. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I've been saying this, last year when he got minutes, TJ looked good. Granted he looked a little lost and more so was reacting on instinct rather than any philosophy from what it seemed. I think he will have a solid year but to just say that over this video is kinda knee jerk if you weren't saying it last year.

17. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

CP probably will have a slow start this season. Seems like he haven't put in a lot of work on his training this summer. At least there is still about a month till the real games start.

Only watched half of the video since it was very choppy for me. Howard had a few nice assists.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

TJones is now the second coming of Jesus until the next set of scrimmage is released and people will claim he sucks again. :rolleyes:

In other news Parsons will suck too :rolleyes:

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's basically been a gym rat all summer, adding 8 points of muscle and training with the US Olympic group (in addition to the Rockets' camp and whatnot). Who knows how he'll start the season, but he absolutely has put in a lot of offseason work.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

What I take from the video?

Basketball season starts soon! Not sure what else to take from it, but thanks for the footage!

It's great to see Dwight casually dunking though with little effort. I was mainly watching how he moved to see if there was any limp or see if he looked to be lumbering with all the nagging injuries he's had the past two seasons. He looked crisp out there.