1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Finally! First Scrimmage Footage of Dwight Howard with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2013.

1. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Agent Zero is BAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Scrimmages are just for chemistry development, running plays and seeing which player makes the final team.

Guys like Harden, Howard and Parsons have little to play for because their starting spot is secure, they are just going to play within the system and shoot when they really need to.

The PG spot is more contested, but is for Lin to lose.

Practically none of the starters have any real reason to go all out. The scrimmages are for the rest of the team to fight for minutes, so they are the ones doing the most.

Some inferences could be made from the practice footage with regards to the non-guaranteed players or players that do not have guaranteed minutes, because those guys have a lot to play for. But even that's limited, so there is really no reason to make blanket statements about anything.

1 person likes this.
  3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

The answer is simple, If they had Howard on white. I can assure you, you will see a bunch of beautiful pick and rolls. alley oops. Harden can have his Bev bromance. :cool:

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Parsons had to apologize or explain something to Harden near the end of the 1st video ... hard foul that caused Harden to fall?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What you say might work in theory but on the court everyone wants to be competitive. Nobody wants to lose at least in crunch time.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

yeah, looked like he gained muscles. and his redtop makes him easy to pick out from all the rest.

So with Harden's yellow shoes haha

7. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jones, Motiejunas, Lin and Brooks looked excellent.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Brooks will certainly give the bench more offensive punch than Beverly. Yea would be nice to see AB take that spot.

10. allaroundplayer

Agree. I know he expressed in the past starting is a big deal to him, but if he thought about it, the greater scoring / playmaking responsibility off the bench should appeal to him. I noticed in a lot of the videos Beverley & Harden are on the same team which might mean nothing, but for all we know the coaches may have already planned a lineup change that just isn't announced to anybody yet, including the players. My guess is it is something which they have in mind at this point, and the play of each player in the preseason games will determine if it happens. I imagine Lin knows this is a possibility, so he is going to be looking to perform well in these games.

11. allaroundplayer

I think Brooks will win the job of backup 2.

12. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Jones missed his first four shirts, and made some awful decisions. He penetrated however then got caught in the air and had to make a desperation pass out to the perimeter (turnover in a regular game). Again he tried to penetrate and instead of passing off forced the issue and was soon surrounded by three players on the other team (turnover in a regular game). He airballed a three point attempt on a very ill-advised shot (hand in his face and too far out). He attacked the basket and three up a wild (and very difficult) left hand hook. He pulled down maybe one rebound.

On the positive side he made two wide-open three pointers.

Excellent?? Passable, at best. If that excellent then we're in trouble at the PF spot.

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Harden needs Bev.
    Why?

14. allaroundplayer

Mistakes of aggression you can't go overboard about. He's going to start converting those plays.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They still want to win, but the starters are just coasting.

More than likely they were just practicing the set plays they learnt over the course of the training camp.

16. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

PG isn't contested either.

17. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

You mean like how everyone looks when they guard Lin? I think it's more a case of seeing what you want to see. Out of all the things he did, with no points having been scored on him and noone going by him, this is what you want to point out? And you say, you're not sure you've even seen worse when it sure seemed like Lin just walked by all of his defenders pretty much every time.

The reason I'm responding to this post is because I hate (not directed you you) most of the parrots repeating how Lin can't shoot, can't play defense, can't go left, etc while having no idea what they're talking about. Having lived basketball for a long time, I have to tell you, his defense is really good with potential to be great. Getting up on someone is not great defense for a 48 minute game. IF someone gets up on Lin everytime, 2 out of 3 times, he's gonna just go by him. Straight up. Guards these days are too quick to stay in front as much as you would like, I guess, though everyone else was getting blown by not Lin. Sigh~ And why would you want Lin on the bench when you have Dwight starting? Or are you satisfied with the offense of the black team in this short clip? There was no pg presence and no flow. Anyways, point being, as fast as Lin is his lateral movement is not his strongest suit, but DEFINITELY not the glaring weakness you may think it is, imo.

18. iku

iku Member

I agree. I don't see jlin losing his starting job anytime soon as well. Some of you guys really have to cut jlin a slack.
    He performs well in the scrimmage = fighting for spots.
    Harden and parson sucked = not trying cuz their spots are secured.

Really guys? Lol.

19. allaroundplayer

Beverley was excellent in the playoffs, at least in a few games. Lin, in the time that he played, was bad. That has to count for something. How do the coaches just ignore that?

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It is contested. Beverley is fighting for minutes. Doesn't mean Lin isn't getting his starting spot.

This isn't hating on Lin, if you were wondering.