1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clutchfans] Dwight: Defensive woes "starts on the perimeter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Dec 31, 2013.

1. StandontheLake

dude, weren't they both 14th picks? Or something close to that. They have pretty much the same contract.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Patterson was packaged with Douglas and Aldrich.

3. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

The ball doesn't magically appear in the paint, it comes from the perimeter. Funny how it took Dwight to figure it out when there are millions of rocket scientists in Houston...

4. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He has an idea just don't know how to get his players to change those mental errors. He stated that they just talked about communicating, lack of energy and effort. Them not having that pop. So he knows exactly what's wrong with this team. Now how do you get these cats to change from their bad way, hmmm he might not know how to make those changes.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He can't just say "my team can't defend, they need to pop". He needs to show them how.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Exactly Coach. But do he know how to show them is the million dollar question? Or are the players ignoring what has been taught and doing their own thing?

7. NotChandlerParsons

Either way, its ultimately a coaching failure.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

And that's the bottom line. Coaching

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It doesn't look like they are even aware what they are doing wrong, so I would say no he is not showing them. They look confused out there sometimes. I really don't see Mchale as that type of coach.

10. KillScarz

KillScarz Member

A horrible one to remember. Mr Anderson. He went completely off on us.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Yup,Melo is next it seems

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Umm maybe bc he played 45 mins in a game in Dec. Fire Mchale

13. Solaris

Solaris Member

Yes, because we all know Thabo is such a scoring threat in the OKC offense :confused:
    4/6 is very telling.

14. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

He was right. We should be glad that he said it in open. Hope to see changes!

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Does it matter? If the players are ignoring what McFail's preaching to them in practice and in timeouts, then they have no respect for their head coach which means McFail needs to go. If he's simply not doing anything to correct these mistakes and is making no effort to devise offensive plays during timeouts other than ISOs for Harden, then he's a lazy, incompetent head coach and he needs to go.

The more this season wears on, the more I'm inclined to go with the latter scenario. I cannot fathom that McFail is coming up with offensive plays during games only to have Harden wave them off and go ISO. If that was happening with regularity, the locker room would be close to a meltdown by now. And I seriously doubt he's doing much in practice to correct any of the problems that have plagued this team all season. Has their defense improved since opening night? No. Have the turnovers been reduced? Not really. Has the team improved its free throw shooting percentage? No, in fact it seems like some players are regressing. Has anything been done to remedy the 3-point shooting funk everyone's in? I don't see it. Is the team taking the weaker opponents more seriously now? No, if anything they're getting beaten far more often lately by crappy teams.

If I saw some gradual improvement over the course of the season, I'd be a lot more patient with McFail and his staff. But I don't think any honest observer could deny that December was a major disappointment for this team and a big step back from the progress that had been made in late November. And is there any reason to think that things will improve going forward? Does anyone really feel confident that the Rockets are going to come out and destroy the Knicks and Lakers in the last 2 games of this homestand as any legit contender would? I sure as hell don't.

16. SirKen

SirKen Member

I could write a long post about my observations as well but what's the point?! Some of us knew what was happening and was going to happen. We pointed it out LAST YEAR!!

... And some people here knew how incompetent McHale was even before Harden was signed...

I hope I am wrong but I think things will get a lot worse.

17. Yellow

Yellow Member

I'm wondering, do you players in the locker room or at practice talk to each other about this? Like Howard or anybody telling Harden, in particular, that it's time to stop ****ing around?!?!

I just cannot believe any player can get away with this, I was afraid he was going down T-mac's road but the guy has passed Tracy already. Is our coaching staff really this pussified?

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I was never on board with McHale coming here in the 1st place. But since this team made the playoff's in the wild wild west, I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

I am in total agreement with everything you just said. If things don't improve, hell yes he needs to go. Point Blank!

But my thing is why do Harden keep reverting back to his terrible habits? ( Iso ball and horrific defense.) Why did he have the ball even after he turned it over twice, took ill-advised contest 3 pointers. We were up 3 with less than 2 minute to go. Why didn't Mchale put a stop to that madness in which cost us that game? What the he** is he scared of, put Harden in his place? Now granted he has put both Harden and Howard on the bench before. But come on man, get in his face like he does Lin.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes I am pretty sure Howard and others are in his ear. Howard said plenty of times that they all hang out together a lot. So trust they are talking to him.

20. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

Probably not, because if you look at Parsons face you could tell he's just frustrated when he says there's "selfish plays" implying Harden and implying they don't talk about it (but should). The team isn't Parson's but really Harden's team and if someone has a problem they need to speak up the next coming weeks and really change or else the next 10 game stretch will not be looking too pretty.