1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Don't Vote for Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

A disgustingly poor taste by a member of our crew! :p

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You shouldn't vote for him either. He doesn't deserve to play in the All-Star game given his injury. He might later, but not at the moment.

Plus, he's not one of the best 2 guards in the West anyway, but that's a different story.

Doesn't make me root for him OR Yao less when they are playing for the Rockets.

3. gah

gah Member

Those fans would have the right, the voting system is plainly a popularity contest, logically the players with the most fans are going to be in it.

If you have a problem with that (and I do too) don´t bring the heat to Yao, bring it to the system.

This boycott is borderline extremist, afterall who isn't a Yao fan here?

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I would just like to add in this:

Being selected to the All-star team by the coaches is an honor -- that means that your play was amazing in the 1st half of the season and your peers (ie opposing coaches) recognized this and selected you.

Voted onto the starters? Thats just a popularity contest nothing more...granted its usually the good players that make it on there but we've seen players like Carter get voted on when he played in 4-5 games on season.

Yao knows he is popular I dont think he needs another sticker saying that he is. Right now I think if he was selected by the coaches it would mean more to him because it would be validation that he has reclaimed his spot as one of the top centers in the league.

Besides his rookie year every year Yao was the starter he would have been voted on by the coaches anyway.

Also its not like Yao even really plays in these things. We all complain that this season Yao is way too slow for the Rockets 'fast paced' offense..yet people want him to start in the fastest paced game of the year?

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

THAT is exactly my point. EXACTLY.

Imagine the jokes about limiting Yao's minutes in the All-Star game. Oy.

6. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Nice long article there.

My response is: if you like to have Yao on the all-start court, vote for him. If you don't, have a rest.

That's called freedom.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I recall reading that last year Yao wasn't on the ballot because he personally requested that he be taken off.

So, I'd imagine Yao would agree with Jeff's view here.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Is it any surprise that Yao would win a popularity contest? He is popular.

If you would rather it not be a popularity contest then it is another topic altogether. Petition them to change the format.

The system as currently constituted is a game FOR the fans. Why deny them of who they want to see? There is no shame in a popular guy winning a popularity contest.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

good to see you writing again!

(but I didn't know *anybody* took the all star game seriously :cool: )

10. highstep

highstep Member

If only all of China would vote for Scola instead of Yao...

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Popularity contest? That is what it may be, yet every year, the fan voting results are measured against the actual stats, and an undeserving player can get a ton of focus and criticism.

Whether you agree with him or not, Jeff is writing as a fan of basketball... not of Yao, or Kaman, or Okafor or whoever. He wants Yao to earn the spot, not have it handed to him because he's popular, and right now he's out with an injury, trying to return from a bigger injury and playing under a minutes cap on a 3-8 team. It's hard to produce numbers worthy of an All-Star starter under those conditions.

That's not an insult to Yao -- that's the hand dealt right now -- but in my opinion, I agree with Jeff when he says:

I would much prefer Yao be picked by the coaches because he came on strong and played well this year than be voted in by the fans as the starter when his numbers don't reflect it. Because believe me -- there will be negative publicity and criticism. Remember last year when Tracy McGrady, who wasn't even playing, nearly started? Allen Iverson was voted in as a starter and he can't get a job in the NBA.

<UL><LI> Fanhouse: <a href="http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/19/billups-mcgrady-iverson-dont-deserve-all-star-berths/">Billups: McGrady, Iverson Don't Deserve All-Star Berths</a>
    <LI> Dime: <a href="http://dimemag.com/2010/01/right-now-tracy-mcgrady-and-allen-iverson-are-still-starting-in-the-all-star-game/">"The fact that both McGrady and Iverson would start in the All-Star game if voting ended today is just crazy. What is this, 2001?"</a>
    <LI> Atlanta Journal-Constitution: <a href="http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/iverson-named-all-star-280556.html">“Iverson’s popularity lands starting spot for East All-Stars” is how NBA.com framed the issue in a headline. “Fradulent” is how others might put it.</a></UL>

12. sefril

sefril Member

yep, agreed.. you don't see the same "competitive spirit" on all-star game like playoff games anyway.. every players just want to entertain the fans that chose them.. and the fans want to see the player that they chose on all-star game..

13. deshen

deshen Member

Scola is the only one that I voted.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he makes it, they will play him 40 minutes...

;)

Love the idea behind the article, but I am voting for him anyway.....

I don't care one iota about the all star game, it is all marketing, and we need to market Yao for that sign and trade in the offseason.

:grin:

DD

#54 DaDakota, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Part of the problem is that they release the ballots too far in advanced. I'd prefer they release the ballots a week in advanced, open up 3-4 days for voting, and then announce the starters after that. They also need to add eligibility guidelines for being on the ballot (have to have played in more than x games, etc.) and then allow the fans to vote after that. I'm sure there'll still be players who get snubbed, but the system would be better than whats there right now.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd also like to see the NBA incentivize the all star game in order to make it competitive. I actually think it'd be cool to see the best players in the NBA play each other competitively (even at the risk of injury), rather than watching Shaq/Yao/DH shoot 3 pointers.

In any case, the only Rocket I'll be voting for is Scola :)

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch crew can do what they want to do , this ain't a democracy

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Which other center in the west stands out?

18. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

People will always have their own opinions, and this article won't change that.

I have said it on BBS before, but some US based fans should be aware of the following fact:

NBA is not the most important basketball competition for a lot of fans around the world. Hall of fame or championship rings don't necessarily match world recognition/world champion&Olympics championship outside of US. Yao himself admires Sabonis the most(not Hakeem, Shaq, Chamberlain...).

Otherwise, yao wouldn't play for Chinese national team every summer, and he would be long gone to other legitimate contenders and get rings.

Simply put, NBA achievement/career stats has its limitation and those 'all time greats' are not that great in the eyes of people around the world. Many of my friends only know MJ and consider only him as a great player.

19. choujie

choujie Member

So far, nobody on Rockets deserves to be voted to all star game. None plays both ends well. And the record shows.

Despite that, My bet is Yao will be voted in anyway. He'll get a lot votes not only from China, but from US as well. Weather Yao will go to the actual game or not is a different story.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

DD is the smartest clutch fan. It's official! ;)