1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Don't Vote for Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

I think he has earned it, and besides you don't know if Yao wants to play. Until he says he doesn't want to play in the All-star game, I think people should vote for him.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

So stupid! I don't know my beloved clutchfans is becoming a joke ...

3. gah

gah Member

This.

As long as fans are the one's who are voting, this is what always will happen. I'm a Rockets fan, With Yao being our most important player he will always have my vote. To put another example, the same gos for Scola, he might not even be a top 5 foward, but he has my vote.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Jeff, I understand the idea behind this post... but there are players who don't "deserve" to be all-stars voted in every year. There is a flaw in the system, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't vote for their favorite players.

Heck you want to know who I voted for last season as my choice for the West center? Chuck. Not because I thought he deserved it, but because I didn't want to vote for any of the other choices.

Unfortunately, all-star games are not about who's the most productive "star" on their team... it's a popularity contest.... it's name recognition... it's promotional ability.

As a Reds fan, if I have learned nothing in this past year, it's that the average fan knows only the names and not the players they are voting for... When a desperation last ditch effort is what it takes to get the second best player in the National League into the baseball all-star game, you know the "fan voting" system is broken.

5. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I only vote for players that deserve to be an all-star. That's what the all-star game is for. The players that are playing the best. It shouldn't be a popularity contest. At this point Yao is not an all-star. If you vote for him you are taking away a spot for a player that truly deserves to be there.

1 person likes this.
  6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, Yao is so fragile, could get another injure by playing this game.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I agree with Jeff.

But with 2 billion Chinese, this is a moot point.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

So, in essence, Chuck Hayes should also be an All-Star? Shane Battier?

Would you say the same thing if Yao were playing for, say, the Spurs and our center might be excluded because of him?

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Agreed. If the all-star game was about the best players, the decision would not be in the hands of the fans. As long as the fans are doing the voting, actual contributions on the court are meaningless.

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Why don't you say "don't vote for Brooks"? Since he played less games than Yao this season?

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yep. He's virtually a lock to be voted in as starter. Things will have to improve considerably for Yao (good health, more minutes, more numbers) to avoid this being the story when the results are annnounced.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I maybe wrong but from my understanding I thought Yao always received more votes within the US than he did from China

It may have changed but I remember reading in the last 2 years that China may have more people but I believed that the # of people with internet access is about the same to to the number of people in the US

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Clutch, I have a lot repect to you. But, you cannot do this. What you do only could motivate Yao fans to vote for him more. For example, I have thought I wouldn't vote for all-star games this year. But, after I saw this thread, I decided to vote for Yao everyday. Every fan has their own, independent thought. You cannot force people to do things like this...

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't think Yao should get the All Star nod either, but who am I to talk, I don't think I'm old enough to vote.

15. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

whats the point, he is injured...he won't be playing in it....especially if its Back 2 back All-star activities.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

There is the All NBA team, and then there is the Allstar team.

One is based on merit, the other on popularity.

One is voted by more knowledgeable coaches and media members, the other by impressionable fans.

There is no "deserve" in the latter.

There are a lot of people in this thread confusing the two. Including the OP.

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I already voted for him like 10 times since the voting started and i'm going to continue voting for him, and I DON'T GIVE A DAMN! :p

--RB

18. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Have you guys looked who are the choices...........................

Not one single competition. Maybe Oakfor, but half the "Normal" fans, have no clue who he was, what he did...

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Stupid article is stupid.

I think we can all agree that Yao doesn't deserve a spot on the All-Star team right now, but most people don't vote based on who deserves to be there. If it was based on that only, why have a vote at all? Just go with the guys with the best stats or the guys the coaches choose -- no need for voting.

No, people vote for players they like (and the largest country in the world likes Yao). The sooner you realize this, the less angry you'll be, Jeff.