1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Donatas Motiejunas works out with Hakeem Olajuwon (Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When DMo gets the ball in the post, he is a top ten player. His problem is the "When" as he has trouble establishing himself in the post. Stronger defenders deny him the post. He only gets 14.3% of his possessions in the post. Gasol, who had to deal with Howard getting a ton of post possessions last year, still got 24.4% of his possessions in the post.

Sadly, DMo's most utilized scoring option was spot up shooting which was his worst option in efficiency.

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can't even shoot threes when open cuz his weak legs get tired. You keep drinking that kool aid, he's top ten, raw, fast b.s.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lold hard at some of u guys

bunch of homers calm down with this top 10 crap

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

More top ten...When Greg Smith gets an opportunity to finish on the transition, he finished at a top ten efficiency last season. The rub for both Smith and Motiejunas is the production. Can they generate enough quality opportunities for their efficiency to matter. Last season, the answer is "no".

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

Show me atleast 9 PF's in the league who can do it and I will agree he's not TOP10 post-game players.

@1.23

[youtube]e3Vgzzm79nk[/youtube]

6. dje243

dje243 Member

Yeah that last video is great. I definitely think that working with hakeem is going to make him more self-aware of his balance and mechanics though. He always wants to rush through his moves and sometimes he loses the ball when he does that. Still has all the tools to kill some people in the post if he continues to work at it. Guy will be a rotational player somewhere. I want it to be here.

7. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Is it just me or is Olajuwon taking a much bigger role with the Rockets? Dwight/DMo/Lin/Harden probably more. Has he been as involved in the past or is he also super excited like we are?

Is it just a matter of time before he's on the bench like Patrick Ewing?

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Dmo must be Dreaming.

[​IMG]

9. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

What dwight said the other day is something DMO needs to hone in on. Just slow down mentally, he goes 100% in his head which causes mistakes and earns his spot on the bench.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Dream worked after practice with D-Mo again today. A little over 3 minutes of footage is going up now.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Here it is...

[youtube]SbX0nqoQjbs[/youtube]

1 person likes this.
  12. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He looks a lot better this time around.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

6 seconds in and I've had my Dmo fix for the day.

That was beautiful.

[​IMG]

#173 RV6, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Seems Donatas is doing moves mainly for shooting with his right hand, in both vids. Is he actively practicing his off-hand more? Maybe it's because he's cupping with his left hand on the move, and is better at the spin part of the move with his left hand?

Get comfortable at that Donatas. Next up, the change of direction part the move, where you up and under or spin back to the left hand. All without traveling though. :)

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Hakeem looks like he could still play

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

DMo looks more comfortable in that vid than he did in the previous one.

17. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

I wish Hakeem showed it in slo mo for d mo. Both fake and spin one at a time, then combine them.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

DMo looks alot better with his mechanics this second time around. Hes seems to have his knees bent (not alot but a little) and his stance seems a bit wider. He is also cradling the ball much much better and thus stopped with all the turnovers of losing the ball. It seems like he is responding well to hakeems training.

I know it is only the second practice and he is sure to make many more mistakes, but if he can keep pregroessing he will improve very nicely. He could develop into a quality starter or a fantastic offensive post spark off the bench. If he can keep BULK up (and i mean BULK), and keep that speed in his post game, he has the potential to become a top post player. (Potential- That word gets us all caught up)

I also like how he was finishing with his right hand instead of the left. i would guess that is hakeems doing. Make him good with the off hand and his natural hand will come easy. Helps with the different variations of the dream shake to be able to finish with both hands.

19. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Hakeem should be our head coach or assistant coach some day.

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

wow. there is a lot of negativity on this board about DMO--borderline disdain for the man. Why don't people relax a bit, see how he does first in games before making snap judgments based on a 3 minute video clip where Hakeem is tutoring him on (potentially) new post up/spin moves. We have no what the context is, if this is a new exercise/drill for him or what. All I read is how he sucks, has no shot, lacks a center of gravity, and is the worst player on the team...give the guy a break. He has had one freaking year in the fast-paced NBA, everyone clamored that he needed to bulk up and the man has put in a lot of work and added close to 30 pounds of muscle from what it sounds & looks like.

He seems to have a great attitude and wants to get better. Big men (and european players) are also notorious for starting out slow and taking a few years to adjust to the NBA style--the guy has a lot of talent and upside--and yes, it is only upside at this point, but lay the fugh off for a moment and why don't we all enjoy one of the most talented teams in NBA and see what they have to offer.

I personally am just eager to see things get going, I'm anxious to see how our young players do (DMO, Jones, Smith, Canaan, Caspi et al) and I hope they all succeed. Man, the negativity on this board is a bit much--constructive criticism is fine but it still feels like the pinnacle of last year where "X player only fans" were vouching for their player at the expensive of tearing down another. I am onboard with the whole team and can't wait to see what they put together.