1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Donatas Motiejunas works out with Hakeem Olajuwon (Video)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 29, 2013.

1. j3i

j3i Member

He just has to slow down... I feel like he was trying too hard to execute the move quickly and not getting the motion down first.

2. nobie

nobie Member

my opinion is that his footwork is much worse than Hakeem, also he probably was very nervous. Obviously if Hakeem will continue to coach him, his footwork will increase tremendously.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know who you are or what you want, but I have a particular set of skills that I learned thru a long career.

1 person likes this.
  4. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I'm so happy to have Dream back with the team! Not just because he's going to improve everyone's game, but because he's The Dream! Those of us who were around back in the Olajuwon days have had a hole in our hearts since he left. For those of you who weren't around, savor it now!

5. alethios

alethios Member

in the video, I also noticed that DMo was swinging his hands out wildly when pivoting and spinning. Hakeem caught that, too, and had to show him that he need to bring the ball lower and closer to his body as he spins. That little move may help him get this, but it's going to take a LOT more practice. Like fundamentals practice.

6. alethios

alethios Member

Most big men's footwork is a lot worse than Hakeem's. He should take them out on the soccer field and have them work on just their footwork.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

t has been 2 years since the Rockets drafted Motiejunas and he has been hitting the weights hard, putting on all kinds of muscle. He now weighs 257 pounds

8. basketballholic

Yes, he was bringing the ball straight through the defenders hands zone. You gotta sweep it high to low and under your knees that are supposed to bend.

DMO exhibits very poor flexibility in my opinion. He's fast enough. But way to upright with all his moves. Makes his already short arms appear even shorter. I worry about his turnover rate if he sees major minutes. He needs to widen his stance and dip the knees.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

^^This. Lower his stance. When Hakeem spins, his stance is low and wide. When DMo spins, his stance is almost straight up and the steps are narrow.

Wider stance gives you more control and balance when you spin. That's just physics.

10. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Seeing that that was DMo's first practice session with Dream, many of you guys are being too harsh. I think he was starting to get the spin move by the end of the video. Also, that spin-move is not at all intuitive. Why not spin with two hands on the ball instead of just one, does anyone know what the advantage is the way Dream is doing it? It would seem to my untrained eye, that spinning with one hand palming the ball is more prone to get stripped? Is having the other hand free suppose to offer more balance?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

His center of gravity is too high, he needs to get lower.

DD

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Eye-opening is right. D-Mo needs to get more sleep. He is developing raccoon eyes. However, I have faith that, if he works on the moves was teaching him, he will be a game-changing rotation player by mid-season.

13. allaroundplayer

D-Mo already has a good quick post-up spin-move which he has shown now & then.

It is just different from the one that Hakeem was teaching him.

14. j3i

j3i Member

Defenders are always drawn to the ball. Keeping it in one hand can get them out of position. Same reason why people keep falling for Rondo's behind the back fake pass. That said, Hakeem spins with two hands on the ball plenty of times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0GCyU0sKxqI#t=126

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So many eyes so little sight.

The key to the Dreams spin move is keeping the ball against the body with one hand. If that ball comes out after a hand swipe (it would have to be more like a punch, think NFL running back) then the refs will probably call a foul. It is not so certain that if the ball is held in a hand away from the body that the refs can detect a foul.

That much was obvious in the first 30 seconds of the video. D-Mo did not catch it during the practice session, but I feel sure he will when he reviews the tape. Like I said. It is obvious.

16. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Send morey an email.

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Why? He is perceptive enough to pick that up with a glance. And so is D-Mo.

18. allaroundplayer

No, the key is a wide base / stance / pivot.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I hope you realize that you took 15 minutes of my life to prove you wrong. Are you going to repay me with intelligent and concise posts?

Dreams base:

[​IMG]

D-Mo base:

[​IMG]

20. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Stop trolling.