1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Daryl Morey Press Conference on Thomas Robinson Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

That was a deep KU squad.

2. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

They're looking for someone to give depth for the stretch run, probably at the backup PG spot. PatBev is still a work in progress. And if Jeremy goes down, this team will struggle at the 1. Harden, Delfino, Parson can take over some of the play-making burden, but you'll still be very thin at the 1 with only PatBev if Jeremy goes down, and there will be no backup to Jeremy if PatBev goes down. Look at what happened to the Knicks last year when all of their PGs went down to injury one by one just as they entered the playoffs.

The key point here is that Euros who have not played in the NBA this season will be playoff eligible if they join the team even at a late date. This allows you to get around the player restrictions that don't allow you to add players from other teams and still have them be playoff eligible if they were on another NBA team prior to a particular cut-off date.

So Morey is likely thinking of using the remaining capspace on a Euro buyout (or a frontloaded contract) to bring someone over as a backup to give depth for the playoffs. Not necessarily for a long-term solution. Though knowing the way Morey structures contracts, it will give him the option to either hold long term or release him after the season depending on performance.

I expect a contract with a 1 yr + team option like Delfino's, or a partial guarantee + waivable unguarantees like Machado/PatBev/Chandler Parsons (Parson's contract was set up with a series of staggered guarantee-for-rest-of-year dates if not waived before certain dates each year, I think).

The first year will either include money to cover the Euro buyout, or it will be a signing bonus to bump up the compensation for the contract, which will taper off in later years or be unguaranteed/waivable/team option in the off-season to not affect future cap room if it doesn't work out. This frontloaded/signing bonus/buyout could be what he uses the remaining cap room for this year on. Assuming he can find the right target overseas.

It might even be an American playing over-seas who wants to rejoin the NBA, like PatBev.

And no, the player won't be Llull, who has made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to come over.

3. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Different drafts. Also, maybe seniority issues with underclassmen backing up upperclassmen?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Morey said that we could potentially use the rest of our cap room to sign a player from Europe. So can we potentially do what Minny did this summer with Shevd, and circumvent the draft process by signing what would amount to a top 10 pick without having to draft him?

For example, could we sign a guy like Mouhammadou Jaiteh, even though he intends to enter the NBA draft? http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mouhammadou-Jaiteh-6366/

or even a guy like Rudy Gobert?

sorry, i didn't know what thread this post should go in ...considering Morey talked about signing a Euro at his press conference.

5. coweye

coweye Member

Maybe this doesn't fit in here but i dont want to start a new thread for this. Can anyone give me a link of a video from the Thunder game when Toyota Center shouted MVP to honor Hardens performance

6. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Also was the 1 quote that caught my eye, but most of the euro talents willing to come are here I think.

7. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Thanks, Clutch! I think I am becoming a MOF. How can I not like Morey? The guy knows what he is talking about, obviously got his data under the belt, and is always on the move behind the scene. Just seems to be an all around super intelligent GM who is down to earth and can relate well to fans, media, all people. He has my vote.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I think we're the only NBA team with a GM with rock-star status. His every move is analyzed and hailed or panned.

We have loved watching Morey work since he came on the job. Here's hoping he is able to get that 2nd superstar this summer so we can have a more or less stable roster.