1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Daryl Morey Full Interview after Rockets drafted Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey was giving off a "we got this" vibe the entire press conference

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Unsigned 2nd round picks don't count against the cap. They will use their cap space prior to signing Canaan.

Picking a European player would have been the strategy if we had acquired a 1st round pick (unsigned 1st rounders count against the cap).

3. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Clutch you should have asked Morey if Canaan has a fear of flying.:grin:

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Or if Dwight doesn't choose Houston and the team never needs to clear cap room.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

You describe it well; yes, there was definitely an air of confidence, even restrained exuberance. Kind of like he really wanted to break out into "I'm so excited!" Hopefully it has to do with more than a second round draft pick.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Morey said he is 100%, not 95% or 99%. And then he says there is know agreed upon trade. Which means he either has several teams desperate for TRob or he has at least one team that has agreed to trade for TRob if he does become available and Morey has not committed 100%. Say something like the Spurs saying if TRob is available this is absolutely what we will do. So it's a one sided guarantee. Which also makes sense no trade was made. In addition nothing can be finalized with the Spurs until after July 1st. My gut says he is too excited for just the spurs first pick but if they gave next years also than that might be a deal that he could be happy with.

7. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Fake it, then fix it :cool:.

Morey always knows what he's doing. Look at the team he put together (unless it was in fact all Hinkie :p)

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

100% confident was good to hear, but I would say of course he's 100% confident. Can he create $3.5M in cap room if he trades his 2014 first round pick? Without question. I don't think it will take that of course, but I don't think creating the necessary cap room is going to be a problem. It just may not be at the price or return that they want... we'll see.

I was looking for an "out" for the Rockets last night as to why they didn't get a first round pick for Robinson. My theory was that the International guys saying they wanted to play in the NBA right away, just in the last day or so, had torpedoed their plans, but I didn't get an affirmative on that. I'm left more questioning T-Rob's trade value.

Should be different when more teams can make that move soon. Boston and Philly just recently made the clear and strong indication that they are rebuilding... both could be potential spots.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it is a combination of International guys not wanting to be stashed along with a little uncertainty on if they need to trade Robinson. If Lin is traded, Rockets have plenty of cap room to add Howard, another contract, and then have room exception. Robinson's contract would be nice to give him one more shot to Carl's dissatisfaction plus possibly needed for salary cap matching purposes.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

MIT grad, works hard, successful. It was only a matter of time before he got into cocaine.

11. Chamillionaire

Cocaine and prostitutes. Go Murray.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep. Worth point out that Boston will soon have an army of picks (3 from the Nets and 1 from the Clippers for Doc Rivers). I would guess they wouldn't mind parting with the 2014 Nets pick (the 2016 and 2018 may be good once the Nets team gets old... the 2014 is probably going to be 20+) or even the Clippers pick. Boston should also have a pretty good trade exception from this deal.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this. i'm sure they could have unloaded TRob last night for a pick, but it would have been a diminishing return scenario because it sounds like it would have been a guaranteed contract that would have counted against the cap. There just weren't any good stash options in the 1st round like there have been in years past. It doesn't mean that there isn't a market for TRob.

Morey's confidence is enough for me to stop worrying about it.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Was the stated interest in the crop of PGs genuine? They were hoping for them to slide in this draft but didn't...

Did this relate in any way to Deek's tweet about the Rockets shopping Lin?

A few year's back Morey tweeted pre-draft about it being the deepest for PGs in a long time? During that particular draft a rumor was floated that he was trying to trade up and was offering a package of Brooks & Battier.

The PG position in the first round is meant to have the highest success rate? Also in this draft a few of these PGs have been touted with that high upside he's known to favor too.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Sometimes you just gotta use a little common sense. Ask yourself, if Morey thought he had to give up a first to dump TRob would he be smiling about that. That is a worst case scenario that would not have him chipper.

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

One scenario - we bundle TRob and Royce White, and pay the other team Royce White's salary (much like we did with Toney Douglas). They can do whatever they want with White after they get him, eg waive him.

In this case, we can even get back a mid-1st rounder that we can sign and play (not stash overseas), as the salary would roughly equal Royce White's.

Now if I was Morey and could kill three birds with one stone in this move (ie move Trob for cap space for Dwight, move Royce White to free up a roster spot, and actually get a player in the 1st round that we can choose to stash overseas or play right away) ... I would have a big grin on my face also :)

17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the whole presser was really awesome in a bizarre way. Usually Morey is big on overhyping our second round picks, almost in a pleading way. He did rave about Canaan (and I like the pick), but it almost seemed like "You guys know the drill, got this guy that fell to us again and we like him." Seemed like his mind was elsewhere, and he had a ton of confidence and swagger.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I noticed this as well. Good on him. I also liked his confidence saying that he'd "dominate" in the D-League and then join the team.

19. Spyckie

Spyckie Member

Morey has a thing for needles in the haystack. You know, the diamond in the rough, the no-name overnight IPO, the untested potential genius, etc.

I think he sees a reflection of himself in them. :)

And I like his analysis about just 'finding the best person' in the draft, not 'finding the best person for our team' in the draft. This is really the point, he's looking to create an asset, not trying building up the team, which, in all honesty can't really jump up to the tier level we want through roster turnover except for the One Big Trade...

Good pick Morey.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"100%" awesome video. Thank you Clutch!

NIKE, good call on the Boston 1st rounders. Clearly a landing spot for a valued asset.