1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Chandler Parsons won’t be getting a free pass any longer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2014.

1. split41

split41 Member

Parsons is going to get a lot of criticism, probably deservedly so, as he isn't $15 mil good. Real talk here: his defence sucks, most of his shots come from open looks created by others, can't create his own shot.

Honestly, Hayward is better. I said it.

Unless Parsons improves his D to at least his rookie year and knocks 40% from 3, he'll get a lot of heat.

I really like Parsons, but not at that price tag. He's a role player nothing more, I honestly don't think he'll get much better (other than more focus on D). Good luck trading him will all those bells and whistles in his contract too.

This contract is, imo, worse than Rudy Gays.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A quick question for whoever knows the answer. I know the team trading a player with a trade kicker has to pay the TK, not the team getting the player. What I was uncertain about is how does that impact the team trading him away? The question comes to mind, obviously, because Chandler has a 15% trade kicker in his signed deal with Dallas. When he is traded, the team trading him has to pay an added 15% of the remaining amount of the contract to the player that leaving. Say after 2 years, Morey decides to trade the matched Parsons. That's 15% of the amount of his 3rd year, that third year being worth about $16 million bucks for Parsons. I'm not very good at math, but that's about $2,400,000 bucks. Not chump change. How does that $2.4 million impact our cap?

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We will match and should match. We knew his market value was going to be inflated. Our window to win is now and we shouldn't let such an important asset go just because he's going to make four million a year more than he should. Try to sign Bosh in the next three days or the best player you can and get ready to go to war for next season. Future roster improvements will have to come via trade.

It's crazy how much a players salary shapes the reception from fans. If Lin were making $2 million/year he would be loved.

1 person likes this.
  4. torocan

torocan Member

If you don't get Bosh?

From a team building perspective, unless you're fairly certain that Parson will elevate his game to the $15M level you probably need to let him walk for multiple reasons.

1) We'll still have the cap space that we had available to sign Bosh (or can manufacture it by trading Lin now or later)

2) If you believe that Parsons is NOT a $15M player, then you can get equally good and hopefully significantly better players for $15M.

3) One year when you are NOT paying luxury tax resets the repeater tax counter, giving you more flexibility to go into the luxury tax for a longer period later.

4) Without Bosh, Parsons + Harden + Dwight alone adds up to $52M, or only $11M short of the salary cap. Combined with the rest of the team salary, you'll have the MLE available but you're running up the Luxury Tax counter (1 year closer to the repeater tax). Letting Parsons go would leave you with just Harden + Dwight ($37M), in other words you would have the room to secure a Max ($20M player) or multiple mid-level ($10M range) players and still fill out the roster (like a back up center) and bench depth.

If we don't get Bosh and I'm Morey, I let Parsons walk. I sign a 2-3 year contract for a $8-$10M player and retain Lin ($8.3M cap hit, and no certain upgrade PG's available in FA at this point) and the NO 4-19 pick. That gives $16-$20M you can use in a trade at the mid-season, and potentially $16m-18M usable in a sign and trade at the end of the season ($8-10M signed player + $6-8M for Lin on a S&T when his contract expires).

Yes, we take a step back for a year, but we also can raise the value of multiple players on our roster for a mid-season/off season trade, and we just might get lucky and see another of our players take a step up/forward.

It's also McHale's last year on his current extension, so we could theoretically be in a much better position to attract FA's if we can secure a higher tier Head Coach.

That's if you're really trying to take a significant step up towards building a Championship level roster vs just incremental improvement over where we are now.

Just my 2c.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent point. Fair or not, salary colors one's perception of a player.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think this is very understated. The past couple of years have nerfed salary increases as teams were adjusting to new CBA. The next couple of years will see a huge increase in salaries. Even then, Parsons is making some bank. If the Rockets were not likely going to be over the cap, I think it would be a very difficult decision and likely that the Rockets don't match.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure about loved as long as LoF's exist, but he will definitely be much more appreciated.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

They said we couldn't replace Shane, they said trading Budinger was unwise, they say a lot. We need a stretch 4, all the other pieces will eventually fit together as time passes. Chandler, you are in no way unique and you can be replaced. Have fun with your Cuban sandwich with Dirk.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Time is no longer our friend though...those were days when we were still searching for stars in hopes of becoming a contender down the line....We can't afford to wait for future drafts or free agent summers to replace guys.

11. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Parsons outplayed him in the playoffs.. little known fact... Harden/Lin/refs is why we lost that series...

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great read Clutch, accurate, and to the point.

We will see how Morey works his magic, it is much tougher now, but you know he will work his butt off to try to make it happen.

I think Cuban Moreyed Morey.

DD

13. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

They'll have to distribute shots and touches according to salary. McHale will have that chart on the clipboard.

[​IMG]

14. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The Rockets knew all along no big star was coming our way. Lebron...seriously?! Melo? not a good fit. Bosh is too old and would be the next Pippen/ Barksalot. They HAVE to match Parsons. He is the only chance we have of going far in the playoffs.

The Rockets have to act like they are trying to keep the fanbase happy and engaged. BOY! are you guys engaged. Maybe they hit a homerun.

My thing about Chandler is that Morey let him out of his last year so he can get paid and Parsons didn't handle it well IMO. The kid is 25 yrs old. Who handles anything well at that age?

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I appreciate your exuberance but if Parsons is the only chance we have of going far in the playoffs I say lets get back to the good ole days of being 9th in the West.

16. dream2franchise

Is it wrong to say that we tried Howard/Harden/Parsons last season and it didn't work? Add to that if we don't sign Bosh and trot out the same team the chances are it won't work again? Only this time we're paying 15 Million extra? It was only one season together I suppose.

If Dallas wants him bad enough we should match it, then see what the Mavs are willing to give up for him. Trade kicker be damned. (Easy for me to say)

I would not make a good owner. I would match just to say FU back.

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It is not the salary per say (as fans we are not paying a single penny) but the cap space each player is eating up.

A Jeremy Lin making an obscene amount of money means you are not getting the production you need for your team to do well AND the cap issue is preventing you from getting someone on the team that can produce.

Same with Parsons. $15M means we are not getting star production from him AND he has eaten the cap space so that we cannot get a player that actually produces at a star level.

Of course none of this matters if you are a NY team.

18. jayland

jayland Member

If we match Chandlers' offer does that mean we are "bringing sexy back"?

19. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/CoreyCates">@CoreyCates</a> yes we can.</p>&mdash; Dwight Howard (@DwightHoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward/statuses/487374469858471936">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. verysimplejason

Bottomline, Parsons is getting his money back from those years being underpaid. It sucks but who doesn't want to get paid? Loyalty? It isn't a strong word around the Rockets these days. Just let it go. Whatever happens, Parsons is getting paid and there's no work-around.