1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Chandler Parsons won’t be getting a free pass any longer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 10, 2014.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Simply put, a team of Beverley, Harden, Parsons, T-Jones, and Howard is NOT a contender and I am as huge a Rockets homer as they come. If Harden played ANY D consistently, if Beverley can be counted on for more than D and open 3's, if Parsons would focus more on D instead of O, if T-Jones had a brain, and if Howard could hit clutch FT's consistently, it would be a different story. Remember, we are in the WEST, not the Least.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The same thing happens whenever a player who shows promise signs his first non-rookie contract. The player tends to get a big pay raise and get held to a higher standard.

Those contracts are rarely bargains, and are often gambles by teams on players not only keeping up his current level of production, but also staying healthy and continuing to improve his skills.

To me, the Parsons contract most likely needs to be matched. I've thought through some contingencies and it just does not appear likely that the Rockets will be better off without Parsons. There is no certainty in landing any of the alternatives, and little likelihood that other good SF candidates (Ariza, Deng, etc.) will become much better value propositions. The market on these guys are going to be up there just like the market for every other free agent has been so far this July. I doubt that Deng or Ariza, for example, are going to end up with contracts that are going to have high trade values.

3. Pukimonster

Pukimonster Member

good article

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

If you have an opportunity to acquire a superstar whether it is your 1st one or 3rd you do everything you can to get it done. I understand that team chemistry and solid role players plays a role but you can figure that stuff out after. Miami is a perfect example of that. 4 straight finals.......2 nba championshps.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

had it been any team but Dallas, my feelings about this would be different. but if there was an agreement with Fagen (i want to write Fagin, and then Fagen worked with Cuban to design the most Rockets-unfriendly contract possible, that's a big FU to Morey.

and there's no way they the made him a RFA w/o having the outlines of a deal in place.

6. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

With what he was making the last 3 years, it would have taken him 50+ years to make the 46 million he will now make in the next 3 years. I guarantee Cuban had a very short time frame for the offer. Take it now or it wont be there tomorrow sort of a thing. And you can't expect anyone to do the Rockets a favor of buying them time under the assumption that another max offer will come later. People hating on him, IMO, are the definition of hypocrite. (with all due respect) Come on, be honest with yourself. I loathe the Mavs & Dallas just as much as the next true blue Houstonian, but $46 million dollars would have me asking to borrow someone's pen real quick.

Parsons:
    -Most heavily used Rocket. What did he play, something like 55 minutes per game for us since day 1 as a rook? Whenever he was out, we sucked and lost cause there was an 87 minute hole in our rotation.

-Despite being so heavily used and while being the 3rd option behind Lowry Martin Harden Howard, he gets knocked for inconsistency...even w/ pretty good FG% 3P%. Could you imagine how much better he'd be if he only played one position for 33 minutes, and was given more green light instead of 3rd fiddle? Kid can ball.

-Gazelle of our team. Just restructure our entire offensive philosophy now if we lose him. Transition buckets? Parsons. Assists by committee? Take starter assists and divide by 2. Don't want the ball to be sticky? The only guy constantly moving.

-Everyone knew he'd get more than 10 a year. 11-13 was the consensus from my view, yet we're destroyed by an extra 2 million past what we knew he'd get?

-Though we could have forced another year of peanut salary, it would have further damaged our reputation in future free agent markets. Chatter would be: Look at how they did Parsons.

I for one won't boo him.

7. Snorkin

Snorkin Member

Spurs beat the heat, and look at how they run their organization. And as much as I HATE the F Spurs, I can't help but respect how their team is run, managed, and coached.

8. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I voted No on the matching (purely due to emotions running high), but afterward thinking more about it, I think we need to match.

People kept saying Parson took & posted the pic, wasn't his douche friend the one that took it and posted it?

As much as I dislike Cuban, can't blame him for using these tactics.

I didn't realize this is the case. wow.

That would be funny. I'm sure he won't like that.

9. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Good read! Thank you Clutch
    I agree with you in everything, but I still believe we have to resign Parsons because:

- If rockets sign a big FA, and let Parsons go (he will not be replace)
    - If Parsons goes to Dallas, the next player how goes to Dallas can be Dwight in 2 years

I hate Parsons atittude and his horribles fotos, but he needs to be resign
    We can trade him later to Charlotte for MKG the next season

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

MKG? you got to be kidding lol

11. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

With that said the Spurs have 3 elite players in Parker, Duncan, and Leonard. Yes I said Leonard because of his impact and his defensive presence. That isn't even mentioning Manu.

The bottom line is that even though the spurs rely heavily on chemistry and ball movement they have superior talent.

12. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

same with the video.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Spurs are a SINGLE team in the league and its not like they win every year either. There are MULTIPLE ways to build a contender and not all teams are lucky enough to find a player like Duncan who anchors the team as a leader and HoF player.

14. dje243

dje243 Member

Do you think Harden and Howard texted him when they saw that pic? Something like "What the hell bro?"

15. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

He wasn't worth that salary last year. Will he be worth it this year? It seems like that is expecting a lot of growth. On the other hand, he had the leverage in the negotiation, not Morey.

We were negotiating with him before he signed the Dallas offer. Morey had to know he was going to be paying Parsons that kind of money after the Hayward deal, so I'd be guessing the sticking point was not the money but the player option/trade kicker that would make his deal harder to move.

On the one hand, given Morey's history of moving players, I can understand how Parsons would want that. On the other hand, he kind of screwed us with the timing in order to get it.

He's going to have an interesting year next year.

16. rocketsmetalspd

Yes something does not sit well with Parsons signing with the Mavs. The organization has done all for Parsons since drafting him and his loyalty is with himself and the all mighty Benjamin's. I can't remember ever seeing a player sign a contract at a club and flaunt it.

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

WE

ARE

NOT

TRADING

PARSONS

1 person likes this.
  18. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Nobody can fault Chandler for getting paid. Morey has made it known that the NBA is a business and players on the Rockets have heard him loud and clear. Until the ringchasers come, nobody is taking a discount to play for the Rockets based on loyalty.

Agreed that this will make him more of a target for fan backlash, but for that kind of money, I would not care one bit. Chandler is set for life even if he flames out horribly and can't get anything but vet minimums from here on out.

On a separate and nitpicky note, the 60% number in the article is misleading, unless you're saying that there are only ~1000 Rockets fans total and they're all on this site, haha.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think This is payback for his efforts to land Dwight.
    I think releasing him was the right thing to do

If Morey was the amoral business only a-hole people paint him to be
    he would have retained Parsons and used him to sweeten some deals without paying him
    or brung him back Asik style . . ..

Rocket River

20. Gri

Gri Member

Hahahaha "...over 60% of Houston fans do not want the Rockets to match the deal." So Rockets have 350+550=apx. 900 fans. You are kinda full of yourself don't you clutch?