1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] BimaThug: Sit Tight and Play the Hand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 9, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Who said that you had to get a FREE AGENT with 2011 cap room?

Having cap room makes the Rockets a player to make almost ANY trade with ANY team willing to deal.

1 person likes this.
  2. albuster

albuster Member

Great post Bima and thanks Clutch. It seems, from the great Bima article, that there is still a lot left to chance or luck with regards to the Rockets future. So many variables still beyond the Rockets control. I just hope that the pieces and circumstances will finally fall the Rockets way after so many years of championship drought.

I hope there will be many more articles like this.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While the end result is that we sit tight, we do need to make a run at Carmelo Anthony right now.

The Nuggets and Anthony will definitely turn us down - and that's ok. You are making a run at him to make him feel like we really want him. Make the Nuggets feel we really wanted him.

Why?

Because if everything works out and we are on pace to win 50-55 games....and Anthony still doesn't sign a contract renew by Feb, and the Nuggets are clearly now not just second to the Lakers, but also the C's and Heat...Carmelo may want to consider the team that wanted him really bad back in the summer.

And the Nuggets might feel that since Houston is interested, it's better to get something than nothing in a trade then letting C.A. walk.

Carmelo Anthony is the only player now that can significantly change our fortunes.

So you have to make a bluff run at him now and get his attention before he just decides to sign that 60 million renewal.

4. arubato

arubato Member

I'm thinking one the three (Bosh, Wade, James) will be traded before the trade deadline.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

#85 sammy, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  6. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Well stated. I definitely agree.

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I'm actually glad that we didn't get Bosh as I felt that he wasn't worth it. I would rather have Anthony Randolph and a shot at Melo in the future along with other possibilities that are now still open. This article really opened my eyes in terms of just how much flexibility we will have. I can't wait!

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Great read, Bima.

Fans are never going to like a smart, conservative approach but the fact of the matter is the point of the article is spot on.

Waiting until the February trade deadline to make our next big move is two-fold.

First, it gives us some time to gauge Yao's recovery and potential to be the centerpiece moving forward. It's a contract year for the big fella and given the relative uncertainty regarding his health moving forward it makes little sense for us to go "all in" by making panic moves or adding any unnecessary long-term contracts (i.e. using the MLE, trading for "win now" type players carrying bloated contracts).

Second, as mentioned, the best deals are always found at the trade deadline whenever frustration and other variables can be a key motivator for all these GM's with struggling teams to make deals. That's exactly how we were able to get Kevin Martin despite all the reports of him being unavailable. This type of scenario happens every year and is certain to happen again this February.

Until then I fully expect Morey to find some sort of low risk option to give some insurance to the five spot. The Chandler deal would have been a solid move to address this need. I'm not a big fan of Brad Miller but even Miller on a cheap, one year deal isn't all that bad of an idea.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bima always presents things from the a professional team's point of view. Great stuff as always!

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Which makes it all sort of pointless in that respect. Without the ultimate goal in mind, what are the teams trotting out there for?

Your mindset is noble, of course, but at the end of the day we are still talking about basketball.

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

We have a 2011 right to swap draft picks with the Knicks. We just swap draft positions. We just exercise it and move up in the draft.

12. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If we went back to the lottery, it would just be a repeat of last season. We would be drafting at the 14th spot at best. The Rockets would then exercise their right to swap draft picks with NY, anyway.

13. amaru

amaru Member

Dean Winchester FTW!!!!

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

IF we can come up with a great deal at that time, wonderful. IF we are a 5-8 seed team, yes.

Seems like the teams that make big trades at the deadline blow up their chemistry in the process and wind up flaming out early. Dallas went out in the first round. We (Rockets) never really got up a head of steam with all the new guys (granted, there were injuries). Cleveland went down like a stone.

15. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

In both Cleveland and Mavpricks case, I think it had more to do with players being washed up ala Jamison and Butler than anything. Also didn't help that Carlisle and Brown went with strange substitution and lineup matchups down the road.

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I'm all up for waiting till the deadline to make a move if it means we can aquire a guy like Danny Granger or CP3.

Morey netted us Martin, Hill and NY draft picks just by giving up T-Mac's corpse and Landry. We've got more assets now then when we did before last years deadline. Hope a team like Indiana or New Orleans folds under pressure.

17. GMNot

GMNot Member

Pointless? As I posted in another response, I wasn't waving any white flags. Of course the team is playing for a championship. My fault if this wasn't conveyed well in what I originally posted. My comments were precipitated by the player(s) we didn't get during the free agency circus headed up by LeBron James. This thread is a result, mostly, of not getting Chris Bosh. While not villians, I do think the behavior of said free agents showed less character and more about only winning a title, with little regard to, now, ex-teammates and fans. Of course, the same might be said of Artest, but if a player is getting to the end of his playing days, I don't begrudge him looking for a championship team to play with. (Although, as I mentioned, Hakeem never bailed for that goal.) It's why Barkley came to Houston. When you do that in your prime, though, it might be that a players assessment of the organization he plays for leads him to believe he can't get a championship where he has been playing. I don't happen to think that can be said of Cleveland. Therefore, I think James decision shows less character.

Mid-level players don't really have as much choice as stars do. They can be bounced around the league, playing for several teams without much choice in the matter.

In the end, it is a business foremost. This does lead to the title pursuit being the driving force. Fans do fervently wish for it for their team. I just think a championship team can be built without chasing after overly self-absorbed players.

18. Texasboy1978

Texasboy1978 Member

Would it be a good idea, to have signs and such for guys we desire in Houston when we attend games against their respective teams. "Come to Houston Melo", "Granger be a Texas ranger" or something to that effect (Not on a creative high right now ;) ). To get free agents or S&T's to want come here and STAY, we have to make them know that they would be welcome and the fans would be appreciative. Above all else in sports, the most important thing to me was hearing the crowd...because my performance was for the team and them.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

For those who are bored and wanting an Igoudala trade now, if you haven't read this article, i suggest you check it out.

20. jedicro

jedicro Member

I would rather gamble that Yao can comeback to any semblance of his former self than to gamble on Thabeet. We are obligated to Yao for one more season. We have until February to determine if he should be traded and then 3 more months of the season if he's not traded to see if he's worth resigning.

Why are you against the idea of seeing if he can come back? If he does come back and is effective and we use our trade assets to bring in a Granger or Iggy at the deadline then we could be an explosive team. If he breaks every bone in his body then we say our goodbyes and move on. Either way we have 3 first round picks in the next 2 years, 2 of which are likely to be early lottery picks. I like where we're at.