1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] BimaThug: Sit Tight and Play the Hand

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Nero

Nero Member

This makes sense except for one small fact: We took the Lakers to 7 games essentially without Yao.

There is zero doubt from any sensible person that had we had Yao the entire series, we would have beaten them. And since they went on to win the ring, then there is at least a reasonable assumption that we could have won the ring also.

The corollary is that we were so close to the Lakers in that series, even WITHOUT Yao, that had we had even a serviceable center to replace Yao in the middle for the rest of that series, I fully believe we would have won the series, and, again, been at least as likely as anyone else to win the ring by virtue of already having taken out the toughest opponent in the playoffs.

Therefore, I do not buy into the theory that a 'stopgap' quality veteran backup to Yao would somehow be a bad idea. I certainly do not see how acquiring a player like that halfway through the season would be BETTER than getting him now and having him the whole year with the team, training camp, coaches and playbook.

I am all for Brad Miller now, and it certainly seems that Morey and Adelman are feeling the same way. Of course Morey has his 'value calculations', and if the asking or going price for the kind of player we need is simply too high, then fine, sit tight and hope that Hill develops as desired and Yao's body follows Ilgauskas' in the recovery-from-foot-troubles health arc.

But I would sure as HECK feel more comfortable with Miller in here now. There's no reason that would prevent a mid-season move too.

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good post. Rep'ed.

3. role_50

role_50 Member

i agree nero! i think t-mac's contract would have been the differance this offseason if we WOULD HAVE KEPT HIM and got rid of his contract then salary cap is not an issue. instead we brought in 21mill. we got rid of and could not sign any valuable free agent. the pf is still a problem when it comes to size and scoring and was the differance in the laker series in 08. now the rockets are a differant team than 08 and just needed quality size down low which helped the lakers win another ring.

4. redao

redao Member

In fact, going back to lottery is way better than being mediocrity.

5. rodmanhust

rodmanhust Member

great read.
    one thing though, suppose we get Melo from denver, who guarantees that he won't leave immediately after next season, since he's dying to go to NY?
    then we get nothing?

6. Nero

Nero Member

Oh God, don't agree with me and then say THAT!!

That trade was a work of art. Getting rid of TMac and fleecing NYK while also getting Martin was GM of the Decade stuff.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know you are right and all Bima but I hate reading "Wait until next year" articles before the season begins.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nero, I hear you, but you are advocating that the Rockets ASSUME that Yao will be healthy enough to (help) lead the team to a championship next season and that they completely commit to adding another player with the MLE to help out with the championship run. Fair enough.

But just realize that that MLE signing may be the difference between being able to add a star next summer or not. A star!

If you nevertheless feel the way you do, then so be it. I'll respect your opinion and will certainly hope that your plan works out!

:mad:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=168495

:rolleyes:

I'm sure that Daryl Morey will factor in that risk when making any trade. He'll probably be far less likely to bet the farm on Melo if he doesn't agree to a contract extension before the trade is completed. Perhaps Morey still takes the risk; but the price he'd pay to Denver would likely be smaller in that case.

I didn't say that the Rockets COULDN'T win it all next season!

Keep Hope Alive!!! In Morey We Trust!!! :grin:

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Finally some sense. The rockets can sugar coat this thing all they want and the fans can be delusional also, but the rockets are in a bad spot, the middle. Yeah, they might make the playoffs with yao, but what good is that if they lose in the 1st round? If they miss like this season and get the 14th pick, then what? I like the young assets they have, but they don't have that dude. Brooks is a rising star and i like him alot, but depending on yao to be anything more than 13ppg 6 rebs this yera is a stretch. So what does that do long term? Nothing but put them in this position again and another great Bimathug article. What do i suggest? I knew you would ask :grin: .

Morey walks into the office of les and tells him for the betterment of the franchise, they need to trade yao. Yep, thats right, trade yao. To who? the list is short considering the teams that will be willing to gamble on him. My first call would be memphis. Who do i want? Thabeet and picks.Why? We have offensive players all around the court and if they make a move for carmello or granger, they need someone like him that will be good and effective in the deke of denver/atl mode. You can win a ring without a scoring center like yao. Deke went to the finals with iverson and ben wallace was the defensive mvp and 1st team all nba before. Brooks,Martin,Granger or Carmello,scola/hill/patterson, and thabeet would be a team rising at the same time. Sure memphis would probably make the playoffs and he's in the same division, but i don't have alot of faith in them keeping it together. They would have zach,gasol,and yao all free agents the same year. Chances are the grizz would be cheap and only keep 1 or 2 and let the other move on. They might feel better about gasol and randolph combo or yao and zach combo. Either way, they're not paying all three big money.

10. Nero

Nero Member

One sentence: "More television viewers for every one of our games than viewers who watch the Super Bowl."

I have said this before and I believe it fullly - as long as Yao Ming plays in the NBA, he will do so in a Rockets Jersey. Period. The end.

11. role_50

role_50 Member

you're right. i'm sorry just a lil' frustrated that the rox could not pull a deal off and don't want to see another season go down the drain if yao cannot stay healthy.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They are going to get there with the Knicks picks anyway.

And, I firmly believe until the organization finds out what they are going to do with Yao, it is smarter to wait.

DD

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Exactly how I feel We should go in with what we have until the right opportunity strikes and nobody can can stand not taking our deal because its still the best around in the league. Haqve to hold some teams hands and feet to the fire to get some of these guys. Rockets got what they need. We are their morphine if they need a fix. Stay put Rockets and keep that hand.

14. worzel gummidge

2011 cap space is a waste of time. Melo's either staying in Denver or going to NY because of his partner's career. Houston has no chance.

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

We certainly would have had a very good chance if Yao had stayed healthy, but guaranteed? Remember the games we lost were complete blow outs for the most part. So while I would like our chances certainly if Yao had stayed healthy, I wouldn't necessarily say we would have won if we had a Gortat or Brad Miller (at his current age) on that team to fill in for Yao.

This is a dangerous way to look at things to presume that because we pushed them to 7 games two seasons ago, then we are a backup center away from a reasonable chance at a title. Especially considering how much the roster has changed on both teams since then.

I don't think anyone would say that adding a quality back up wouldn't improve the team NOW. And if they planned on doing it anyway, then sure go for it. The question is would that improvement be better than adding a true star, ala Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul or someone of that caliber at the trade deadline.

If Morey can get him at a value he believes is fair then I certainly would not be upset. But this article seems to say that such a signing very well could limit our abilities to make a mid-season move. If that is the case, then I say we stand pat for now and see what happens. Obviously if we can both make a move for a star at the trade deadline and pick up a quality back up center, then by all means they should do so.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

He is not going to New York if they suck again. Better to have a chance than no chance. We cant roll with what have. We cant. Have to upgrade at some point. We can roll right now with what we have but have to have Championship players in place at some point. We dont have the star.

17. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

I really really wanted Bosh to come here, but think this might end up being the best thing that ever happened to us. We will only realize that at the trade deadline.

Next season is just going to be strange and the best strategy might simply be to stay put. Re-sign Scola and Lowry and wait and see how it plays out. If Yao is healthy we sign a All-Star complement with the other expirings and young assets. If he is done for good, we trade him for an All-Star.

Welcome to Houston CP3!!!

18. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't mean it's right though. If Yao can't offer Houston much, Houston needs to move on. I agree we should see what happens this year but if Yao's career is done, they must move on.

But leebigez is right though... Houston is in a tough spot. IMO, you need to either contend for a championship or try to rebuild your team to win a championship.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

100% agree, we have more desirable assets than anyone to offer in a trade as well as a great team that a Melo might want to resign with. Let's limit Yao's minutes until the playoffs and showcase our young talent/trade assets.

So much to root for this season, in addition to the Rockets winning and the Knicks sucking, we should root for Melo not to sign an extension, and the Nuggets, Pacers, and Hornets losing and looking to blow it up.