1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] BimaThug: Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 9, 2010.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

The thanks goes to you Bima... great article. I am a much more knowledgeable Rockets fan, thanks to you and the various other stellar posters on this site. Long live Clutchfans!

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Players cannot be accumulated to create one large trade exception. A trade exception is only generated with respect to a single player. So, in your hypothetical, the Rockets would end up with a $6.88M trade exception (for Jeffries) and a SEPARATE $7.4M trade exception (for Battier) and however many other SEPARATE trade exceptions that would be generated for each player traded into another team's cap space.

Case in point, the Rockets generated two SEPARATE trade exceptions when they traded Carl Landry ($3M trade exception) and Joey Dorsey ($881k trade exception) to Sacramento last February. Trust me, if Morey could have combined those two into one $3.88M trade exception, he would have.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Okay then. We'll just have to trade them for Kirilenko and then do the same thing with Kirilenko.

4. delishman

delishman Member

Fantastic as usual.

While I completely understand that plan B of the trading deadline with the lux tax.. It will be mass chaos around here if ultimately what happens.

5. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

So does this mean i should start my proposterous trade propsals starting now for the next 3 months? :) I am ready! Iggy for Chuck Hayes!!

Anyhow. The outlok seems as if this hinges on how Yao progresses within these 3 motnhs to find out if we should in fact go off the build with Yao or resign others. Right now it looks like trade is the most likely path. It doesnt llok like they will resign Brooks unless he is reasonable. So Brooks should be the starting point of a trade. It doesnt look like they are bringing back Battier. So Battier can be another peice. This is actually falling together for them. its if the other team agrees with our proposals. I think we should get what we can to upgrade from Brooks and Battier. Kick that around for a while and see what other teams say. Then around the deadline we should have an idea what we might have to offer and what we would get. Then move.

6. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Did you see how denver got spanked by the Indiana pacers, Man they are having serious problems there, I hope they keep this going and maybe melo will decide to hop off the bandwagon earlier in the season to the Htown..

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Please make this an honorary six star-thread.

8. Felece

Felece Member

Well the game didn't start when you post this but. PACERS dropped 54 in a quarter on them leading to a 144 point in regulation win. Damn thats bad.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm taking suggestions for Bima's sig since he will lose to the greatness called leebigez :p . Once again i will trump the stat padders with simple common sense which seems to be lacking on this board. Any good and bad sigs will be considered :grin:

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Fantastic article and analysis Bima, much appreciated. Things are certainly going to get interesting the closer we get to the trade deadline.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think you actually read what Bima wrote? Or maybe you just didn't process it? It's not new either...aelliott and NIKEstrad have also clarified this in the past many times.

Great article. I know MadMax doesn't like discussion of the salary cap, but I think it is very relevant to how the Rockets can be built for the future.

I'm actually also interested, Bima...are you a programmer or financial controller or something like that? You seem to be very good with logic and numbers, that's why I am wondering.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm a lawyer. A transactional attorney (not a litigator), so I deal with contracts all the time.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Wow! It's like hearing a chorus, the skies open, a shaft of light comes down, and everything makes sense. No wonder you have a terrific grasp of this stuff. Nice questions, guys. :)

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thx for the article BimaThug. very informative.

However, yet again, I got depressed by articles like this which say the lockout is "inevitable." :(

15. leebigez

I told them you had a b.s. in bs :grin:

1 person likes this.
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, you are one of those boring guys. :) Your username is deceptive, transactional lawyers are not "thugs" or even "bimas."

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, the "thug" part of the username is not intended to be serious or even a misplaced show of machismo.

And I bet you don't even know what a "bima" is. :p

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I like you anyway! ;)

(where did you study?)

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sort of like "Thugleavy"?

As for "bima," obviously, it's a reference to the state of Alabima.

20. leebigez

Nah, after getting his 1st check, he went to TV Johnny and got iced up in his grill. Then he went out and bought a used,high mileage 325 Bmw, thus taking the name Bima Thug :grin: