1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] BimaThug: Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 19, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good ideas but B. Lopez is a role player, the same as Scola. No need to break the bank for him, as he will never be the guy who matches up with the best the league has to offer.

Anyway the Knicks pick definitely put us at an advantage with regards to rebuilding while trying to contend. All it takes is a knee injury to Amare, or an implosion between Amare, JJ and D'Angelo, and you have lottery picks coming our way. Even if they don't that swap and pick will definitely upgrade the talent pool we have, and give us more assets for a consolidation trade. IMHO we're a lot like the Celtics before they traded for KG and Allen. We're knee deep in talent, and its only a matter of time before we package them for something good. Meanwhile, we can enjoy the ride and see how our version of the Pistons/King part 2 take us :grin:

2. worzel gummidge

Spreading rumors like his knee was healthy when it wasn't?

You conveniently forget the injury he had at the end of that season. Feigen's written about how Landry's agent requested that the Rockets not reveal the extent of the injury at the time. They Rockets copped a fair share of flak over it from fans.

3. Houston_Rockets

Good read

The only thing I think people don´t touch is Yao´s expiring contract

Don´t forget folks, this dude still plays bball

If by any chance he plays say 20 mins per game and averages decent numbers, playing, say 60 games, his market value will raise up

If see that Yao can´t play more then 20 mins for the rest of his career, does it make sense to re-sign him to max contract??? Or use his contract at deadline???

Has DD said, it is not good when your management doesn´t even put Yao on possible trades, if you can upgrade talent and mins per season, you do it, no matter who you are talking about

What is important is that Houston can maintain the flexibility over the years, because what is difficult, is to do an all in type of season, and if it goes wrong, you will have 1 or 2 seasons, were you are stuck with meh players under contracts, and no cap space to sign FA

PeAcE

4. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yup the rockets definitely got a lot of flak about it, but not because they covered up Landry's knee and made him appear healthier than he really is.

"With the Rockets seeking additional medical tests before extending a contract offer to restricted free agent Carl Landry, Landry's agent shot back that the request was designed to frighten off other suitors and said the tactic has backfired"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5867051.html

Certainly sounds like DM the GM wasn't trying to cover up Landry's ass.

6. Manos

Manos Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Salary Cap Update: Forget Standing Pat, Go All In?

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hahahaha! Sort of.

Remember, I did say that re-signing Scola and Lowry was part of "standing pat". It wasn't until the signing of Brad Miller (combined with the sheer size of Scola's new deal) that it became apparent that the Rockets were opting not to stockpile 2011 cap room.

And they are still essentially standing pat. I said in the prior article that signing a guy like Brad Miller could still happen. That article was more about not going after a major free agent. The point was that the Rockets could make their big move in February (via trade) or next summer (either via trade or free agency).

That is still the case, except that major free agent moves (outright signings as opposed to sign-and-trade deals) now appear to be off the table for next summer, with the Rockets instead choosing to put their money to work this summer.

It's just funny how closely timed the two articles were to each other. I seriously didn't see the Lowry and Scola situations unfolding until at least late August. Shows what I know! :grin:

9. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Apparently, I only rep the same people and need to spread some rep around before I can rep you again.

Always appreciate your analysis on the up to date cap situation for present day and future discussion.

10. CincyRocket

CincyRocket Member

Getting under the luxury tax limit? [Re: BimaThug article]

I love Les, but it seems to me that congratulating him for going over the cap and spending luxury tax this year may be a little premature. Although most think (Re: <a href="http://www.clutchfans.net/news/1569/houston_rockets_salary_cap/">Bimathug article</a>) we will be paying significant lux. tax this year, I am not so sure.

Hoopshype has our payroll at 77.8 mill and the tax limit will be 70.3 mill. Thats only 7.5 million. Jefferies is sure to be moved this season and he makes near 7 million. Now I know we can't just dump him and not take on any salary in return, but lets just say we did trade him and a first round for nothing in return (which I think is very reasonable trading to a team under the limit, depending on how the knicks are doing).

While selling first round picks is definetly not DM/Les style as of late, it would be hard to turn down if it meant saving almost $15 million, and no other options were on the table.

While I'm sure DM has another plan up his leave (and I would be shocked if he sold our pick), I would be equally surprised if he doesn't come up with a deal to drop significant salary at the trade deadline (unless a superstar/blockbuster deal is available). I predict not much tax being paid when its all said and done... for what that worth

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

1. There is already a thread about the article somewhere in the depths of clutchfans. Search for it.

2. Morey has stated time and time again the Luxury tax is not a problem. You are also assuming we do not take on other contracts by Febtober. When the trade deadline comes around the Rockets may drop some dead weight (ie a Jefferies, if Battier is still struggling, or even an Ariza) but, that assumes some team wants expirings for next season. With Melo basically saying he wants to stay in Denver, the free agency pool isn't so impressive next season. If Houston does drop a contract most likely they will pick up a bigger contract in its place. Barring a sub 500 record come trade deadline area, Houston will be well into the Luxury tax, as well they should. You have to spend to win.

12. MattM

MattM Member

this affirms that the rockets are well positioned.

13. YouCompleteMe

YouCompleteMe Member

I really like where the Rockets stand. They can stand pat with the team they have and contend, or trade their assets for another star. Either way, the Rockets will be a good team next year.

14. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Isn't it double?

Like if the Rockets are 7M over the tax line, they owe 14M?

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The only way I see us getting below the luxury tax (and I'm not gowanns to hold my breath) is by making some sort of deal with New Jersey and their open cap space. It would have to involve Luis down the road (Morey said the Nets still coveted him) and/or Kevin Martin or something like that, netting a Courtney Lee and/or a Derrick Favors.

In other words, we're in the luxury tax this year and gonna stay that way.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Yes it is.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't understand why people think Les is so cheap. He has managed to squirm under the luxuary tax every year, but it isn't as if he dumps contracts for nothing. If you had a chance to save that much money without giving up anything wouldn't you do it.

Unless there is a move I'm forgetting the rockets have not made any straight salary dumps, so why do people complain.

Morey doesn't give away 1st rd picks.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They could unload Jeffries to a team that can absorb him, and give $3 million in cash and a draft pick, ala Steve Francis to get close....and then jettison another minor piece, say David Andersen as well.

I could see them doing that, and getting under the Tax line, it would be smart business, and what they have a history of doing.

DD

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Exactly

Unless the Rockets have no chance at making the playoffs, mind you I just said making the playoffs and not winning a playoff series, there is no incentive to do a deal like that. It brings us no closer to a ring, and only brings in new talent who have to learn a complicated system fast. Les and Morey have basically gone all in for the next two years. Thats right folks, we are officially in "win now" mode. Basically, to win a ring while Yao is still in his prime this is the stance we have to take.

Just a note: Luis and Kyle are not trade-able until December 15th.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait what?

That is not true, they could trade Jeffries and $3 million plus a pick to New Jersey, and Andersen + $ 3 million to another team with space.....to get under the Lux tax and save more than they would spend.

While it is likely they pay tax, if there are no big names available, I would bet my house they are trying like mad to get under that tax limit.

DD