1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] BimaThug: Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Didn't they reduce guaranteed contracts by a year? That was pretty good. The Player's Union will be lucky to get away that easy this time. What I'm hoping for is a franchise tag, because free agency has given stars way too much power.

2. worzel gummidge

harpring was done and his contract was mostly covered by insurance. like bima has said there isn't much incentive for another team to take on jeffries's contract unless the rockets give up a first round pick.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. Teams will laugh at the Rockets if all they offered them was the "enticement" of Jermaine Taylor in exchange for taking on a contract like Jeffries's. They are going to want a LOT more than Taylor.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My guess is that we have to give up a pick, and then some cash for someone to take on Jeffries.

DD

5. Nero

Nero Member

Unlike in years past, this offseason leaves me feeling a little bit uncomfortable.

And it's for the same reason as always: Yao's health.

I suppose it's the signing of Miller to up to 3 years, at undoubtedly over-market value.

Why did DM do this?

Well, it's entirely possible that Miller will not be 'overpaid' at all.

If Brad Miller ends up being our starting center most of the year and into the playoffs, and then the same thing next year, then 5 mil per season is not overpaying. It's tremendous value for what he would add, which would be assuredly a better option that the valiant Chuck Hayes all by his lonesome.

So the thing which scares me is, does DM know something about Yao that he's not telling us?

We have seen nothing but optimism from the Rox organization regarding Yao, up to this point. I hope and pray that it is for good reason.

But signing Miller to the deal he got seems to hint that DM felt strongly enough about having fairly long-term viable 5 option that it had to be done. I mean, don't get me wrong, my preferred guy was Miller, but still, this is a little much.

Unless.

Unless there is a very strong concern that Yao's foot is not going to hold up.

I understand DM doing his due diligence regarding a backup 5, which he absolutely had to do, but the way it went down, it just raises the hairs on the back of the neck.

Hopefully this is just me being a worrier, and nothing more. I'm definitely crossing my fingers...

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

The housing market has neva, eva, eva, went down for the country as a whole. Until it did. A wise man learns from history, a foolish man will follow it blindly.

Bimathug has already blatantly demonstrated why it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE for us to avoid the tax this year. For another team to take on $10M+ of our salary, we would probably have to blow all the assets we have been accumulating, just to sweeten the pot. That would make NO sense. Realizing this would require logical thinking, as opposed to blind faith in the PAST.

7. raleigh

raleigh Member

Cash, and all $3M that is allowed, is a given. By the trading deadline, there should only ~$3M left to be paid on his salary, so the team acquiring him wouldn't be paying him any money. The question is how much a team would want in exchange for using up some of their cap space around draft time, which normally would be a valuable thing. But with the lockout upcoming, who really knows???

I agree that using Jeffries as expiring filler to acquire talent will be the first option. This season's trade deadline should be an interesting one...

8. DaDakota

I think the bet is for "NEXT" year.

DD

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lee is saying we won't pay it, THIS year. Or, EVA.

10. DaDakota

I stand corrected...they will be paying this year, no doubt......maybe not next year, but this year...fo sure.

DD

11. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

we arent going to look the same after the trade deadline so these numbers wont apply next summer when we have a new superstar to take us into the next HOU era :cool:

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Seeing is believing. The housing market is always up and down. What happened to housing is what happens to these young people who want things now vs working their way to the older people worked for. Not to de-rail, but there are people i know who make alot of money ,but alot less than what i make. Their outgoing expenses far exceed mine because I'm debt free. From the outside, my house and cars arent anywhere close, but from the liquidity and asset point its not even close. These same people incur an injury or a reduced salary and now their house is on the market. If u multiply by millions, then you have a housing market collapse. The good thing about real estate is that there is always a market whether a buyers or sellers.

13. Nero

Nero Member

Steve: What credit cards do you have?

John: Chalmer's Big & Tall. Great stuff, but it does us no good NOW.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. The sig bet is for THIS upcoming season. Easy money . . . er, sig.

The day after the February trade deadline, I may start a new thread where I will field submissions for what leebigez's new sign should be. Until that time, start thinking of them.

DD, on the issue of paying luxury tax in the 2011-12 season, I could see it going either way. If Yao is done and a major move for a star (think a Chris Paul/Emeka Okafur-type trade) is not made, then I could see the Rockets blowing up the current team and avoiding the tax for at least a few more years. I don't think this scenario is very likely, though.

On the other hand, if Yao can show that he is capable of being a star-caliber NBA center on at least a quasi-regular basis, and if Aaron Brooks builds on last season, then the Rockets very well may be taxpayers next season, depending on the rules of the new CBA. If you figure that the payroll for that season is already around $47M (remember, we're not counting Brooks's cap hold for this purpose), then you add Yao's new contract, Brooks's new contract, your first round pick, and any additional salary taken on at a deadline deal next season, you could quickly be looking at luxury tax territory.

But it's way too early to tell on that. And I certainly wouldn't be so foolish as to make a bet based on something so speculative.

But, hey, I guess even that would be better than betting on something that is next to impossible. :p

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Bima, great stuff as always. Thank you.

16. ty185

ty185 Member

Bima, I personally think it's probably more likely that rox find a partner from a team with a huge TE who does not intend to use it anyway. Since the TE would expire in one year anyway, if the team does not intend to bring in long term contract, the price of doing such a trade might be reasonable by the trade deadline?

17. ty185

ty185 Member

-- on second thought, nah... ignore whatever I was saying. I didn't think straight :p

-- The fact that teams with big TEs could be our trade partners should drive the price of cap-saving trade further down a notch though.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Get real dude. You are asking for a team to take on $10 million of salary..............for nothing?

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sorry for the derail and OT.

I commend you for your life style choice. And you are correct regarding those young people who overspent and are now in the hole. That however is not the issue at hand.

I stated that the housing market AS A WHOLE(nationwide) has never gone down, until it did in 2008. This is a FACT and undebatable. Individual housing markets go up and down, nationwide it has always been UP. I brought this up because it was this fact, and that same type of thinking(blind faith in history) that locked all those banks into their mortgage derivative junk, eventually causing the financial crisis(ongoing and deteriorating). This is only one example of a pattern that truly repeats in human history.

The point? The "Seeing is believing" mentality is harmless in our current harmless conversation of luxury tax and sig bets. But it is also the same sort of mentality and ignorance that has cause great ruin to men and societies. It is a logical fallacy that I hope you can see now after this completely off topic post that I must once again apologize for.

1 person likes this.
  20. ty185

ty185 Member

I wasn't refering to get under the lux tax all together as leebigz suggested.

instead, if trading Jeffries's expiring contract (with is about 3M by the trade dealine and has no implication on the opposing team's CAP space) with cash and some reasonable compensation?

I wouldn't think it'll be easily done, but it can not be mission impossible either, right? :)