1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Bargain-bin shopping: Where Rockets may fit with remaining free agents

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 6, 2014.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Fair enough re: Ish. We've done it before (guaranteed someone the minimum and then cut them before the season starts). Still seems odd concidering the resources we've poured into the position (not even including Llull and Gentile).

The coaches had enough confidence in Daniels to give him 17 minutes per game in the playoffs. I can't imagine he'd get significantly less time during the 2014/2015 regular season.

The bottom line is if you sign Allen, either he or Daniels turns into a 3rd team end of the bench guy getting less than 10 minutes per game. Poor use of resouces (IMO) when you've got significant depth problems at the 3 and 4.

2. NotChandlerParsons

This seems to be a recurring theme with us going back to McHale's first year.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think most agree that we need an upgrade at the 4, but OP's article is just focused on remaining available FAs. Probably why you don't see any on the list.

4. Remii

Remii Member

I don't think Bledsoe is a "Bargin-Bin" player. And that's not a Bargin-Bin _ it's more like the Scratch & Dent department.

I wouldn't mind having Jermaine O'Neil though.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Okafor is working out for the Clips this week, right?

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So a supposed title-contending team that lost Lin and Asik for nothing and already wasn't deep at the wing spots is going to let its MLE/BAE go almost completely unused and trust 2nd round rookies and minimum signings over proven veterans?

You can add a couple of veterans without compromising your ability to trade whatsoever.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

My guess is that the Rockets would NOT give Marion a partial guarantee at the amount of the vet minimum when they could instead just "assure" him that he'd have a fully guaranteed vet minimum deal waiting for him the following season.

That way, they could renounce their rights to Marion, clear him COMPLETELY off the books in order to maximize cap room, with Marion understanding that he'd still be able to either (a) go out and find a better situation and/or more money elsewhere or (b) come back to Houston in 2015-16 with a $1.5M pay day.

Ideally, the Rockets would be looking to sign Allen/Marion to a two-year deal, with the second season being NON-guaranteed. That makes the contract a more valuable trade commodity after the season. Of course, those vets have been around long enough not to eagerly agree to a non-guaranteed second season and would rather take one-year deals (assuming they couldn't get player options and/or partial guarantees on that second year). But who knows? Maybe the Rockets acquiesce and give one of them a partial guarantee.

8. yaodynasty

yaodynasty Member

I'd love to get Marion. Want to see him on fire playing against Mavs. :)

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

If we could get Allen, we could trade Harden for Love. Allen and Daniels at the 2, a real stretch 4 to space the floor, and an addition by subtraction to our defense...

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This would not surprise me at all actually.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This article once again confirms my insider info that Morey is focused mostly on signing African American players.

1 person likes this.
  12. craguin

craguin Member

This ESPN Radio host says no...
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Correction: Emeka Okafor will NOT work out for Clippers this week.</p>&mdash; Jorge Sedano (@SedanoESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/SedanoESPN/statuses/496663378606456834">August 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What is Okafor's status? I haven't read or seen any news regarding his recovery from the herniated disc/neck injury.

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree that the Rockets wouldn't want to give Marion any guarantee for next year, but I could see Marion being insistent on it. Either way, I'm not sure either Allen or Marion would agree to a fully non-guaranteed 2nd year for the very reason you suggested......they would obviously be viewed as trade assets, and why would they want that at this stage in their careers?

A partial guarantee is kind of a meeting in the middle. The player gets security and knows that the team will have just a little bit more difficult time trading him. The team still has a decent asset for trading purposes, and has the ability to bring the player back without dipping into next year's MLE.

Another solution would be a team option 2nd year. This allows the player to either get paid next year (whether with the Rockets or another team) or determine their fate again in free agency. Obviously the team would prefer the tradability of a non-guaranteed contract, but this could be a happy medium.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

You have some great sauces. :)

How can I subscribe to your insider newsletter?:grin:

15. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Houston only has one superstar and that's Dwight.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would love to pick up Okafor, Beasley/Marion and Prigioni. Would really give us the depth we need.

Troy Daniels can't be considered a backup swingman. IMO a backup swingman has to be able to play the 2 AND the 3 - Troy Daniels is way too small to play the 3. I think he's perfect as a backup 2 though.

Where I think we need cover is backup C - Dorsey is a promising signing but we don't know for sure his improvement in Europe will translate to rotation minutes in the NBA. Okafor is the right guy IMO - always solid, extremely smart, good defender, sticks to his strengths on offense. Having Dorsey allows Okafor to get back into shape and shed the rust.

The other place we need cover is backup PG. It's too risky for us to hope Canaan will earn 15 minutes, and Ish Smith is good but not ideal since he cannot score in any way, nor does he have the size to be a consistently good defender. This is where I hope the Knicks are releasing or shopping Prigioni. By all accounts an excellent guy, great passer, amazing shooter. He's up there in age but he can handle a backup role and the added bonus is his strengths are exactly what our current PG's need to learn. I think this would be a fantastic fit.

Finally, we need a 3/4. I'm just not happy to go into the season with Jones, DMo and Adrien. If we're going to hope someone claims the minutes with strong play, then I want more people competing for those minutes. That's why I like Marion and Beasley - these guys can play the 4 sometimes, while they also fill another need we have: backup SF. We are really thin behind Ariza, so it would be fantastic to have someone who can play those minutes and provide a challenge for minutes at the 4.

If we go about this the right way, offering 1 year contracts (or two year with team option) then we can come out with a significantly better roster than last season. Right now we can - without touching the TPE - offer Okafor the minimum and I think he takes that. We can acquire Prigioni with a non guaranteed and a 2nd rounder (I heard they are looking to dump him?).

We should NOT low ball Marion. I think we offer that guy 2 years, $3.5M per season, partially guaranteed second season. He shot 36% from 3 last season - given his defense and rebounding, I would love to have him do that as our backup SF and backup PF with championship experience.

17. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Bbbbut clutchfans told me that Dorsey will be better backup than Asik and that Nick Johnson is the next Cp3 and Troy Daniels is the next Ray Allen. 2014 champions!!!

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Window-shopping: What the Rockets have done all offseason.

:p

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

good read.

I say DM should be faxing out one year contracts daily... Ray Allen, Sessions, Marion, Okafor - bring on the vets! Sign any u can, and swap out the Joey Dorseys... Let's make a run, danggit!
    I'd also keep beating the Bledsoe bush - and hope a Gogi falls out! ;) or continue to work the Monroe angle (or another pf upgrade)... let's get the pupu platters offered up and clear some roster spots for the vets!
    Make it happen, Murray! lol

20. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I guess Morey already gets started his holidays. He won't work until next season begins.