1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Asik speaks out on alleged trade demand, playing with Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Sep 27, 2013.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

It's like Arian Foster and Ben Tate. Of course they want to play and of course they want to start. But it is to our benefit to keep them both and play them evenly during the beginning of the season so that the #1 is fresh down the stretch.

Omer doesn't have to like it, but he's not the type of player that will dog it when he is on the floor. I mean, what's he going to do...miss layups on purpose?

2. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Portland has Robin Lopez as their center already so why they should they go after Asik?

The only trade I could see go down would be Millsap for Omer since Atlanta does not have a real Center,Horford is more of a PF and undersized.

3. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

As I stated in the other omer thread, if the rumors had been false, Omer would've spoken up about it a long time ago.

1. "no comment" = "I want to be traded."

2. "I'll just do my job" = "I want to be traded."

3. "I'll do what the coaches tell me" = "I want to be traded."

4. "this is a business" = "I want to be traded."

5. "there are no emotions" = "I want to be traded."

--

What's unclear to me is how Omer went from a perennial reserve to a player who absolute demands to be first string "or else."

4. rullrich

rullrich Member

Wouldn't Horford be a better trade target in that scenario?

5. llRainmanll

llRainmanll Member

If we trade Asik, think Camby would be able to man the backup C position? Haven't seen him really play much these last few seasons (even when he was here last time) so I'm curious.

6. NotChandlerParsons

He's already injured and won't be practicing tomorrow so I don't know. If he's healthy I think he'd be good for 10-15 mins but he kind of cramps our running style. Probably more minutes for Greg Smith if he can get his stupid fouls under control.

7. SpiceLaneCowboy

its still quite suspicious how fast espn put out an article saying asik demanded at trade as soon as it was announced on espn citing "sources."

Either rockets gm morey is the source and he wanted the whole nba world to know that the rockets are willing to trade asik and are waiting for offers or its just another shameless contrived espn article with no real credible source.

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Honestly I don't think Omer cares about if he plays with Howard or not. He's still getting paid his contract and if it doesn't work he'll get another opportunity to play somewhere else. It's not like he's getting snubbed his salary too. Who knows it might work, but I seriously doubt it.

9. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

He cares about playing time. He wants to play. All of them do. They love the game and don't want to sit on the bench watching when they could be playing.

I remember McHale saying Omer doesn't want to come off the court, and would curse out McHale in Turkish whenever McHale pulled him out.

10. JBar

JBar Rookie

Another thing he's not comfortable with is taking questions from reporters. I agree it's a non-story.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

we need to keep Asik.

Obviously because he is awesome and has the potential to get much better.

But also because it will keep us insured in case of a Howard melt down. Will also keep Howard in line knowing if he melts down Asik will step right in.

12. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Best back-up C in the league at least, that's for sure

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Let Hakeem work with him for a little bit, and let's see if he will want to stick with the Rockets a little longer.

Hakeem's same faith and demeanor and transfer of skills might persuade him.

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

And Morey should have given O a double-locker too :)

Nothing established hierarchy as those double-lockers do.

15. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Or it could be the player's agent leaking it to have it on the record and try to force a trade for his client. Or it could be that leaks happen.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Whether Asik did ask for a trade or not, I do think that he didn't get the appreciation he deserved. I remember at the time when we final were sure of the Howard signing, everybody was so stoked they practically said, "Bye bye Omer." I was mad at people saying that. After playing his heart out for us, all he got was "bye bye"?

I don't know if all this twin towers talk is just damage control to make Asik feel valued again. I won't blame him if he feels like a nice girl being dumped by her boyfriend the minute he gets his hands on a supermodel. It doesn't matter if he tells her, "We're still friends."

17. MONON

MONON Member

Now that idea has some merit. Having the Dream work with Asik would also show that the Rockets don't consider Asik a "red headed step child" now that Howard is here.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I agree some CF posters really undervalued Asik at that time. Now different posters (I guess) seem very concerned about his feelings. Nobody knows what conversations the organization has had with Asik. For my part, I think he's great and hope he stays.

19. Deniz

Deniz Member

you're right. he is awesome. he started playing the basketball when he was 17 years old. tooo late. I think he deserves our respect. I'm sure he will be better.

I'm a big fan of him and ersan ilyasova. :)

I hope howard and asik can work together.

by the way...sorry for my bad english :grin:

1 person likes this.
  20. Yellow

Yellow Member

This doesn't sound good but you have to feel for Asik. Back-up center is not going to be challenged anytime soon with Camby already injured, not having much hope for him returning, and other then beefing up haven't seen anything yet that is going to make me believe Smith can become the back up. T-Jones getting praise from Dwight that he can play both 4 and 5 so who knows, McHale might start to mix up a whole lot.