1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans and Daryl Morey: A Call for Introspection and Reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Apr 24, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Of course I was kidding -- you shouldn't have to ask. I hold your opinion in high regard, though I may disagree with it at times.

As far as the groupings, I'd hope that most fans do not fit into any group. I judge deals as they're made, so my opinions have probably stretched across all four groups at some point.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think this is pretty naive.

"Moreyites" vs Morey Haters?

???

How old are you?

#82 heypartner, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. PeppermintCandy

Well, since YOF vs. YOH has run its course, I guess we need something to take its place.

Personally, I think Alfalfa was the real leader of the Rascals, not Spanky.

4. heypartner

yeah, but then why do we need to completely make up middle ground tribes. OP invented 4 tribes...surely he did not to ever believe his four tribe theory would last a day on the internets but he wrote four so he could write his rant while trying to pigeon hole everyone into 4 slots.

bimathug

dude...disappointing...like me

5. heypartner

I think that's what Morey and BimaThug and other lawyer or stats geeks tell their gf when she is pissed at them for putting her in a slot.

6. heypartner

is BimaThug getting defensive like Morey? so true...so sad...especially when all our hopes now rely on BimaThug being correct.

7. heypartner

yeah, sorry, I was at a party too. see my responses above.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

The banning might include you though, the senile randomly belligerent tourettes nut job category. A little specific, but you definitely corner the market. ;)

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I didn't mean to imply that. I do feel that BimaThug is getting somewhat defensive about the criticism that Morey is facing. Some of the criticism is uncalled for,but some of it is quite rational in my opinion.

10. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Y'think?

I always thought Darla held all of the power, myself.

1 person likes this.
  11. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

I rather thought Bima was calling for reasoned discussion rather than vitriol and name calling.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree that bashing Morey over the using the term "asset" is just ridiculous.

As far as his drafting record I have to believe they are mostly due to DM's evaluation just based on the unbelievable amount of success the Rockets have had with late 1st round and 2nd round picks during Morey's tenure with the Rockets vs. the lack of drafting success they had prior to DM as the Rockets GM.

I will agree that Les's fingerprints are likely all over every attempt to trade for a superstar the Rockets have been involved in during Morey's tenure just based on that the Rockets have chased the block buster trade as long as Les has owned the team.

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

How can you bash the man over a word he never used:rolleyes:

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The problem I have is that far too many people went from either Group B or "indifferent" about Morey to totally flaming Group D members just because of Adelman's departure.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm a BimaThug-ite. Great stuff, as per usual. Keep it up. You raise the level of discourse on this BBS.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Those were great moves which you acknowledge. It sounds like you believe he makes really good basketball decisions by reading this. I am curious which move DM made that was a bad move or did not make the Rockets a better team.

In this quote you seem to take issue with DM's talent evaluation placing your own above his. Well maybe your talent evaluation is better but if it is then your ability to evaluate talent is at an elite level because I think DM's record is with out reproach in this area. In my opinion when a GM drafts using late 1st round and 2nd round picks you have to judge him on the picks he made not the picks he did not make. Why? Because drafting that low in the draft is such a crap shoot. Just look at the Rockets draft history prior to DM as our GM. Look at any other team's success drafting that low in the draft and you'll see that DM has done an outstanding job evaluating talent. Even Rudy T. (who you list as a better talent evaluator than DM) did not draft as well as DM. Do we need to re-live the multiple drafts that he had 3 1st round picks and came back with little to nothing?

I agree that DM is not perfect. If he were then we would not have been looking to trade for Omar Asik since he would have been on the team. There are other examples but as I said I just don't believe you judge trades and drafts on what you did not due but instead you grade him on the moves you make. I am willing to put DM's talent evaluation up to this point against what Rudy T and CD did and I don't think there is any question who's drafts would get failing grades and who's drafts would get A's.

I absolutely hate that RA is not going to be here next season. I am a huge supporter of RA and his system. My question is this, why do we just assume that DM did not want him back? It was reported that RA wanted more control in order to come back to the Rockets. DM and Les were obviously not willing to give RA more control in personnel decisions so RA did not want to continue coaching the Rockets. Is that DM's fault?

When judging DM's moves individually and on their own, I think he has an unbelievable success rate. Most of them unquestionably have improved the team and his draft picks have been very very good. Were there better players available? In some circumstances yes but when drafting late in the 1st round I am thrilled when the Rockets get a very good player as opposed to a player that never cracks an NBA rotation or even worse a player that never even puts on an NBA uniform.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I second that.

18. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

This thread is just fomenting Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of uninformed, interwebmedia-spun bitterness. Bitter Morey Face makes Clutch the Bear cringe.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not getting defensive! Why do you think I'm getting defensive??? :grin:

Seriously, though, while I am often DEFENDING Morey for various reasons, I do not think my creating this thread was out of any sense of getting DEFENSIVE about any criticism of Morey.

saleem, you are correct that there is some "quite rational" criticism of Morey going on right now on this BBS. In fact, never have I seen more instances of rational criticism of Morey than in the past week or so. (I, for one, am both disappointed in the decision not to bring Rick Adelman back and am at least a little skeptical as to why there was such a seemingly large gulf between Rick and Les/Daryl that could not be bridged, although I am giving Morey the benefit of the doubt on this one for now.)

However, other "less rational" individuals have used this opportunity to come out of the woodwork and just hate on Morey, trying to blend in with his more rational critics. In response to those haters, many pro-Morey posters (either those who think Daryl can do no wrong or those who just think he's a great GM) have been spewing hate right back at the anti-Morey posters. Hence, the level of disrespect has gone way up recently.

The criticism of Morey is not the topic of this thread. It is HOW that criticism--AND the defense--of Morey is accomplished on this BBS and the respect that seems to be lacking among both pro-Morey and anti-Morey posters (either on a particular Rockets move or in general) that is the true topic of this thread. I think the vast majority of responses to my OP have created much of the confusion on this.

Bingo. PEOPLE, PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND.

First of all, heyp, thanks for perpetuating the respect I'm calling for in this thread. It's greatly appreciated. :rolleyes:

Second, I will admit that you are right, and I am wrong, in one key respect. I am oversimplifying matters by dividing the BBS into four "tribes" (as you call them). The fact is, many posters on this BBS fall into countless "shades of gray" in between the categories I reference. To label someone (other than the extreme examples) as being "just" one of those four is unfair.

My primary goal in coming up with those categories was to emphasize the difference (a) between Moreyites and Morey Supporters and (b) between Morey Skeptics and Morey Haters. Perhaps I should have been more careful to clarify that people can often be both supportive and skeptical of Morey.

Thanks for calling me out on that, although I did not appreciate the personal attack.

(CXbby, Shroopy: See, THAT is how you deal with people with whom you disagree, even when they make things personal. Respectfully correct them if they're wrong. Admit your own mistake if they are right. Either way, just take the high road, fellas.)

20. gah

gah Member

Blind Moreyite detected.