1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans and Daryl Morey: A Call for Introspection and Reason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Apr 24, 2011.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Haha -- BimaThug is definitely in group A. That's two bans -- whose next?

2. anchel

anchel Member

Easy to say "get a star by draft". But, live a 20 wins season, and you'll blame the GM and his team much harder than at present. And daily/weekly, during all the year. Most likely 2-3 years at the least.

I firmly believe that it's not only "get the star", but also the journey you undergo until you get it. Easy to say that "I accept a 20 wins season, or two", not that easy to watch that team sucking every single night. That's if you're a true fan and watch the games, of course, if you aren't, you just have no right to opine on this issue.

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If that doesn't indicate that somebody is a "Moreyite" then I don't know what does expect this:

Wow, in general, but especially the bolded parts...pure owange and I gotta agree with you. Also, I didn't want to be the one to call out the OP as a blind Morey supporter cuz people would start engaging in name calling, but since a few others have done it, he definitely falls into that category...The fact that he tries to mask it shows the he is disingenuous since he's acting like he's above it all when he's right in the thick of it.

#43 Kwame, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

There would be no one saying anything bad about Morey if TMAC and YAO were healthy. His job was to build a supporting cast aronud them and he did. He succeeded in that perfectly. Imagine Lowry, Batman and Scola playing next to a fully healthy YAO and TMAC. No one would be questioning Morey now.

He only failed in one area and that is not getting us a solid backup C for Yao. Its not like Yao was healthy all this time and he just went down now so we need that back up now. NO - YAO has been going down almost every season. We needed a solid backup way earlier. Morey has failed to provide any sort of continegncy besides a borderline retiring DeKe. That is just not acceptable.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

There is always a group of self righteous know-it-alls who take a lack of success personal and bash whomever is the most public figure as a symbol of failure. There is rarely sound reason in thier argument, just emotion. Its one of the things I loathe about the nature of human beings.....the need for a scapegoat.

Sometimes group B appears to be group A, because they will try to defend thier position against these irrational torch bearers.

I myself am somewhere between A and B. I find Morey incredibly crafty and clever in some of his workings. His patience, foresight, scouting, cap management, etc are all very impressive.

However I think his communication and relationship building/maintaining skills need some fine tuning.

With that said, I stand behind him 100% and am very comfortable with him as our GM.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

Wow. Nice diatribe Old Man. You sure do live up to your billing. Red pill, blue pill. Took the wrong one again today?

Anyways, I found your last beef pretty funny. Nothing says objectivity more than the geographic location of where the blood came from. Dirty south represent.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think there is a difference between NY Knicks sucking and Thunder/Bulls sucking. If you can see progress being made then losing is MUCH easier to swallow. I remember sitting through a few bad seasons waiting for Franchise to develop into the savior, much easier to stomach knowing one day he would lead to something substantial...McGrady in his case.

I am very willing to sit through a couple seasons of progression understanding and seeing incremental progress which is why I understood and liked moving Battier and Brooks. Young guys can now develop and progress by playing against the best during crucial situations rather then sitting and watching. The issue is we don't have a Francis type talent to groom or trade for Morey's superstar which makes this progress so frustrating.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

A call for introspection and reason? WTF does that mean?

[​IMG]

9. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

^ This ^

I would put myself in that B group. What move has the guy made that has "hurt" the team? What move was available to him that you would have liked for him to make? Brad Miller was probably the worst overall move and atleast it can be rectified quickly. To quote DD it's not easy to trade for a Super Star" or something to that effect. What's relevant is the point. The only way to get one is via the draft or to develop one, and Adelman wasn't going to offer any help to the team in this category. (Adelman's leaving imo has added further flame to this fire) Don't get me wrong, loved Rick and he was a great coach and is a great coach for a team that's right on the cusp of winning the ship. However, he isn't the guy I want in charge of developing my new and upcoming team. I am also willing to understand and accept that this team will probably take two steps back before it takes 3 forward. This is what we need to remember. It's most likely going to get worse before it gets better, so expect to see the support and growth from group D in this next year. As always though, winning cures all so expect it reside once he has us back in contention!! :grin:

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think it's a red herring because nobody would be bringing the issue up at all if our performance was different. His speech and mannerisms have not really changed in the past fours years we've had him; no one was complaining over his use of the term until the past two months. The only reason they've brought it up now is simply because they are not happy with the results.

I'm not happy to be losing Adelman like anyone else, but at the same time I'm not going to place any aspect of blame on the fact that Morey used "assets" too much or treated his players and his coach like "assets" or even that his purported lack of people skills has led to this falling out. I believe Clutch and other reporters when they say it is nothing personal and more to do with the change in direction in which the team is headed and how that does not match up with the way Rick would have been running this team.

So instead of speculating on this immaterial subject I'd like to be doing like many good posters on here are doing and sticking to the facts: should we have done more to keep Adelman? Is there another coach out there who might be more in tune with what we're trying to do as an organization? What ARE we trying to do as an organization and is that the right thing to do? These are far more interesting questions and frankly the ones we should answer in order to determine whether or not we think Morey is doing a good job as GM.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm really not sure if you are agreeing with me or bashing me??? :confused:

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Of course that banning doesn't include you because he didn't include F the #@#%ing Idiot category. ;)

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Neither. Sorry, it wasn't about you but more the idea that Adelman was upset at Morey for weakening the roster at the trade deadline. Clutch mentioned it in his write up as well and I just flat out disagree. Rick should be thanking Daryl for making the 2010 Rockets better, not complaining that they "got worse."

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

LOL! I respect the OP a lot,but I assume he feels that Morey is being unnecessarily bashed by quite a few people. IMO,there is no need for introspection and reason at all.

15. PeppermintCandy

Sometimes Clutchfans reminds me of America prior to the American Revolution. Except there will never, ever be a revolution.

16. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

When you do not have a good team, what else you talk about?
    We do not have any superstar but we have a "cool" GM. That will win us a championship. Watchout Mitch Kupchuk, you did not go to MIT.

Pathetic!

17. deshen

deshen Member

when does Daryl have a better judgement on the roster than Adelman? We all know that Adelman had been with the players on the court every practice and game and has been in this league for a very long time.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Bima -- I stand by by sig because that's what I believe Moneyball achieves, a good, winning but mediocre team. I suppose I fall in the #3 category, because, if you search, I have praised Morey for what I believe have been his good moves (Martin and Dragic acquisitions for example) and have been critical of other moves. For example, I have never relented mor recanted in my criticism for his role in the Rudy Gay trade. That was the first step down the road to the Rockets' ruin IMO.

In short, with so many small contract "assets," trading for "stars" becomes so difficult that the action approaches an impossibility.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey was assistant GM for 1 year prior to the 2007 draft, and I believe he had a fairly large role in Rockets basketball operations during that time. Its been said that he was heavily involved in the 2006 draft (you know, the one in which we traded for Shane Battier). So your position that he was completely uninvolved and unaware of the scouting the Rockets were doing prior to his taking the GM position officially is a little unbelievable.

I have to ask: is this just more speculation being passed off as facts, or do you actually have a source for these claims? Its fine if you're just speculating, but you should make that clear so people who are reading don't get the wrong impression.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am a Morey skeptic. I believe he brings a lot of value to the club, but not as a GM.

I think either JVG or RA would have been better evaluators of what the team needs, not Morey.

Problem with Morey's stat approach is it helps you get the most for your money, not maximize your chance to win an NBA championship. Basketball is a team sport, and unlike baseball guys actually have to work very perfectly in tandem. You need players that work together and fit. It's not about statistics only.

Plus Morey tends to get us undersized guys....he gets us a lot pound for pound, just not a lot of pounds.

We've come to realize that he and others overvalues his picks and "genius". Brooks, Scola, and others - all solid players but he couldn't move them at a price that would bring in superior talent.

He lacks experience and I think doesn't pay enough attention to the intuitive side of sports which has a lot of value (this has been demonstrated in countless books).