1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude, relax and take a Xanax or something. Sure, you're obviously color blind, and you have my sympathy for that, but we really don't need to have our eyes assaulted with your handicap, so get a grip, OK?

Oh, and the Lakers are going to suck hard this season. Your team has reached a low it hasn't seen in years. Must be a bummer for you.

By the way, dude, if anyone needs reporting, it would probably be you for going off the deep end and seeing everything in red, so chill or you may not last long here at the finest basketball BBS in the universe. Just a friendly FYI.

2. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. autoprt

autoprt Member

one of the reasons he came off the bench in OKC was the fact he needs a special pg that doesn't have to have the spotlight. harden knows jlin is a good compliment to his game, believe me if harden had wanted jlin gone he would be.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

i hope we dont cut back on our 3 pointers this year

pick and rolls are great but we hae alot of snipers on this team and need to rain them 3s!::eek:

5. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

The pick and roll aligns well with having 3 point snipers around the perimeter to help spread the floor. There are many ways to defend an awesome pick and roll combo like Harden/Howard, none of them are lock down.

1. The defender guarding the player setting the pick switches onto the ball handler - This results in a mismatch
    2. The defender guarding the player setting the pick temporarily guards the ball handler until the defender that was screened recovers - this opens up the screener
    3. The defender guarding a player on the perimeter helps on the ball handler - this opens up the 3 point shot.

There are many other defensive options but all of them gives up something. With great team balance (Harden/Howard pick & roll with 3 point shooters spreading the floor) it really is a pick your poison scenario.

I'm really looking forward to all the different plays that the Rockets will employ. Finally having a player that can generate points in the paint will give us more options. We'll also have the pick and roll, the fast break and plenty of variations. I am so keen for the season it's going to be awesome.

1 person likes this.
  6. myjohnlai

myjohnlai Member

The only proof that it works is to have D12 + the Beard play against Asik + Lin 5 on 5. The training camp is going to be interesting.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL you act like you haven't seen Lin play with Asik

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't you know how well the control group is to test a new group?

9. vlaurelio

Lin + Asik is a new group? :eek: :rolleyes:

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Our offense featured pick and roll heavily last year as well, and it didn't keep our 3 point shooters from raining it. It's still going to be a high scoring affair in H-Town. You can bet on it.

11. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

What he means to test Howard + Harden pick n roll against Asik and Lin...
    Thus Lin + Asik is the control group and Howard Harden being the new group

12. RememberSura

RememberSura Member

First time reading the article, nice read.

on the current debate on how hard vs lin asik, it could be made more instersting to see which tandom is better
    harden and asik
    vs
    lin and howard

im still leaning towards harden and asik as long as asik can have soft hands

13. vlaurelio

Is there a doubt that Howard + Harden pnr >>>>> Asik + Lin pnr

14. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

and bev + smith for a surprisingly highly ranked advanced stat PnR.

15. jedicro

jedicro Member

[​IMG]

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Howard and Harden will be better, but by how much is to be seen. Also, I think the poster was saying Lin and Asik would be defenders on team defending Howard and Harden.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Lin and Howard should be very effective when spelling James Harden or trying to set him up for an open shot.

I think that Howard is going to do a lot for the efficiency of Lin and especially Harden. Those guys really had to work too hard last year for good shots. I don't know if I expect Parsons to have an improved offensive year. I just can't see him making another jump. He was so impressive last year that I believe that will be more than enough from him for us to be successful. I really think that Harden or Howard (but probably not both) could end up in the MVP conversation.

18. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In Aspen w/the <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets">@HoustonRockets</a> working out w/ <a href="https://twitter.com/DwightHoward">@DwightHoward</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/JLin7">@JLin7</a> Coach McHale &amp; the coaching staff. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23highaltitudes&amp;src=hash">#highaltitudes</a> <a href="http://t.co/seOkvQ5VoQ">pic.twitter.com/seOkvQ5VoQ</a></p>&mdash; Hakeem Olajuwon (@DR34M) <a href="https://twitter.com/DR34M/statuses/377565237542518784">September 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Play07

Play07 Member

good news, use the PG how he should be used, Harden will ready for open shot or pass for him to drive also

20. Ultimate6thMan

Wrong thread. :rolleyes: