1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] An NBA Nightmare: The James Harden-Dwight Howard Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Jul 18, 2013.

1. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Total assists per game does not indicate which player is a superior passer in the pick and roll. First off, pick and roll is only part of the game. Second, simply passing more often does not mean you are doing a better job running the pick and roll.

2. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

boy this is so much true...were asik able to finish those we would be easy top 3 seed...those missed easy opportunites were great momentum killers...

3. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

In the drawing the author has Terrence Jones(#6) in the corner. He will be shooting more outside jumpers and 3's this season for sure.

4. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

Charles Barkley said

“Well, I think he made the best basketball decision. The two frontrunners, in terms of basketball, were the Houston Rockets and the Golden State Warriors. He’d be a nice addition to either. With James Harden down there they got a terrific head coach in Kevin McHale, who I think gone really help Dwight’s game, because Dwight has got a long way to go offensively.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/cha...-stink-and-defends-dwight-howard-for-decision

5. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the great responses to the article both on the thread and offline. Clutchfans is such an awesome community.

I just wanted to add some perspective to a few of the questions raised:

Q: What were Jeremy Lin's stats as a P&R ball handler compared to James Harden?

Short answer: As a P&R ball handler, Jeremy Lin scored 0.85 PPP compared to Harden's 1 PPP. As mentioned by another poster, Lin ranked #43 in the NBA in this stat compared to Harden's #5 ranking.

Important qualifier: The main metric that I looked at was Points Per Possession (PPP) as a P&R ball handler. This counts ONLY the points generated by the ball handler when they decide the outcome of the play themselves (i.e., by shooting or turning the ball over). It does NOT account for any points the ball handler creates for the roll man (or any other player for that matter) off the pass.

Q: What drives Harden's 1 PPP versus Lin's 0.85 PPP?

James has a higher 3-point shooting percentage off the P&R (39.4% vs 30.4%), more 3-pt shots taken and made (47/119 vs 7/23), is fouled more (12.5% of the time vs 8.8%), and generates more and 1's (24 vs 7). All of these combined to make Harden more effective at generating offense for himself off the P&R.

Q: If what you say in your article is true, why did Daryl Morey say that Lin was the 5th-best P&R player in the league? This seems contradictory

Daryl made this comment in his end of season debrief with SR610 [you can re-listen to it here], starting at the 3:15 mark.

His exact quote was, "He's the 5th best pick-and-roll player in the league on 9 pick-and-rolls a game."

I believe Daryl is referring to Lin's effectiveness when passing to the roll man in a pick-and-roll situation. This blog post on ESPN offers more perspective.

If this is the stat that Daryl was referring to, it is a little bit of a nuanced way of framing the issue as it excludes Lin's personal offensive output and his passes to the other 4 players on the court other than the roll man. Part of me feels that Daryl was somewhat economical with the data here, probably to show support to a player he felt had been unfairly criticized (or to drive up his trade value, all you conspiracy theorists).

That said it is very encouraging to know that with the offensively challenged Omer Asik as his P&R roll man, Lin was able to end as the 5th most productive assist man.

This means that Jeremy Lin is highly effective at generating offense for the P&R roll man which is encouraging news for his ability to set up Dwight off the play this season.

How effective are Lin and Harden as three point shooters?

Without weighing in too much on this, I direct you to the shot charts below courtesy of NBA stats, so you can draw your own conclusions.

Harden

[​IMG]

Lin

[​IMG]

#225 GBRocket, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
    4 people like this.
  6. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

Thanks for the interesting Data GBRocket

7. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I made an effort to watch some of the linsanity games to see what his fanboys are ranting and raving about. I watched the Lakers, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami and Toronto game. One thing that stoodout to me. He attacked the double teams well. He wouldn't wait ffor the teams to react and he would attack them. What I saw last season was a guy playing reactive instead of taking the game on. Complete 360 to that period.

I must say he has a lot of talent but last season for me he looked lost and reactive compared to his linsanity period. When he wasn't thinking even his 3's were going down.

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

again, Lin can contribute very well by playing the PNR. if we do not use his talent on the PNR, we are wasting it and we should trade him where his talent will be properly utilized.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have always felt the same way that when Lin was most successful is when he has the ball and is initiating the action. Lin just doesn't look like a good fit with Harden on the floor a the same time. Harden is going to control the ball and that leaves Lin as pretty much a jump shooter or secondary shot creator. His abilities in this scenario just aren't maximized. And I think it effects him mentally. I think he gains a lot of confidence when he is initiating the action.

Lin would be better off as a "6th man" energizer type scorer playing WITH the basketball while Harden is resting on the bench. I think he could flourish in this role and could get back to, or close to, his play during his "Linsanity" run.

10. jocar

jocar Member

I agree. But the problem here is that Harden is better than Lin is on the p&r. He shoots better, finishes better, commands more double teams, and gets to the line more, so he'll most likely be running it more.

11. rokit

rokit Member

He doesn't

12. Karolik

Karolik Member

He does

James has a higher 3-point shooting percentage off the P&R (39.4% vs 30.4%)

13. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Wow that chart, Lin is really effecting on the shooting mid range right side. That can become a very important aspect when facing teams like Pacers or Grizzlies.

14. rokit

rokit Member

But his FG% is lower. 45% James vs 47% JLin

15. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

The quick and dirty answer is, according to the author of the article, is:

and

For a more nuanced answer, you can read his (GBRocket) follow up response to the original article.

I wonder how this will all translate during the regular season.

16. Drunk_Goat

Drunk_Goat Member

[​IMG]

Seeing #12 written in this picture gave me chills for a second. I pictured Rafer Alston driving to the basket doing a tear drop lay up again.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

but ranked 68th in the league for mid-range shots by Synergy.

At 1:35

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KnHndbNPYi0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I'm curious, why in the world would the Rockets even consider doing that?

19. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

agree!

20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

LOL. Those good old times...

[In Barat's voice] High five!