1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutchfans 5K Running Club?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emjohn, Aug 3, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Wanted to see who else might be interested. I've been thinking that it may be time to test the waters of an organized Clutchfans Presence at these events. I know there's a load of us at the Rockets Run each year. Be nice to meet some of the other Clutch runners/joggers.

Incomplete List of Annual 5Ks in Houston
    Sept 23rd - Texans Running of the Bulls
    Oct 6th - Komen Race for the Cure
    Nov 3rd - Hermann Park Run in the Park (* 5 miles)
    Nov 22nd - TXU Energy Turkey Trot
    Dec 9th - Jingle Bell Run
    Jan (19? 26?) - Rockets Run
    Feb (23?) - Rodeo Run
    Mar 9 - Bayou City Classic
    March (9?, 16?) - Brian O'Neils Shamrock Shuffle
    Apr (?) - Memorial Park 4 The Park
    May (?) - Dynamo Go For the Goal
    May (?) - Astros Race for the Pennant

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...B-on-tap/a043ff6b-7f64-4058-bbdc-85b9e48badd4

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Have you ever done one of these? What are they like? I've tried to take up running very recently and it sounds like a good goal to have.

3. Rasputin12

Rasputin12 Member

Your best bet to start is simply to run the Memorial track. It has markers, and, if you dare, even has a Beck's Prime at the finish line.

4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I would if I could but I cant so I shant.

Seriously though, if I were a Houston resident I'd be there. Most could do 3.1 miles blindfolded...if they thought about it.

5. emjohn

That's one of the other key reasons I'd like to see if we can get this going - every ~8 months or so, a poster comes to the Hangout looking for running advice.

I find it's much easier to stick to running (especially across the brutal summer months) if there is an event coming up to hold your feet to the fire. For me personally, that's usually in the form of half or full marathons, but 5Ks are a great all-inclusive event. They are approachable for folks trying to break in, and are an enjoyable challenge for the hard runners.

I've done most, but not all of the ones listed. Also several others, but wanted to keep the list short. There's a 5K somewhere in the greater Houston area just about every weekend of the year, and even 2-3 a month in June-August. Google for Houston Race or Run Calendar or do a search on Active.com.

The Rockets Run, obviously, should be circled in red (never blue with pinstripes) on the calendar. Rodeo Run is incredibly popular. Komen is as well...but can get gummed up with high numbers of walking supporters lining up in front of actual runners (non-competitive run).

Brian O'Neill's in the Village has a weekly Tuesday 5K. Free to register/participate, and your lap around Rice finishes with Happy Hour in the pub. Freebies as you hit milestones.
    http://www.bonrunningclub.com/

The beautiful thing about this is it is completely personal. You can walk the entire thing if you have to. You can slow jog it. You can run/walk. It's just a matter of improving over time.

6. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Which event has the hottest females?

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

The ones that take place mid-summer.

*rimshot*

1 person likes this.
  9. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

THIS.

10. emjohn

If it's a serious question, the answer is the bigger events that are more competitive. Komen obviously has a high female:male ratio, though a ton of that is older women and kids.

The events that are less geared towards mainstreamers are what bring about the serious eye candy. 4 milers, 8Ks, 5 milers, 10Ks, 10 milers, Halfs, 25K, 30K, etc. The "Warrior/Spartan" style obstacle courses also usually bring out some lookers.

99% of folks look 1000x more attractive when they're rocking a tight body.

11. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

12. emjohn

To make everyone feel worse about themselves, the Men's Olympic 5K was won today with a time of 13 minutes, 13 seconds. That's a ~14.2 mph pace. Personally, I could maybe hold half that pace for a 5K.