1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchCity Members Mock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wattafan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

but I must agree that he would be the next BPA...

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The only question mark that I had for Evans was his speed...that's been the thing that many analysts have held against him. He proved to be much faster than people expected...a 4.53 official time. That's pretty damn good for someone his size.

Compare his numbers to Watkins...Evans is a solid 4 inches taller, longer arms, 3 inches more on the vertical, faster on the shuttle than Watkins, and just barely slower on the 3 cone drill (7.08 for Evans and 6.95 for Watkins).

I definitely would take Evans within the top 12 picks if I needed a WR. The guy will be a stud...and an even better red zone threat.

3. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

On Behalf of "raining threes"

With the 3rd pick of the 2014 NFL a default BPA pick will be awarded to Jacksonville Jaguars:-

Greg Robinson OT Auburn

STRENGTHS: Remarkable combination of size, power and body control. Owns a prototypical frame for playing offensive line in the NFL, including broad shoulders, long arms, a relatively trim waist, thick bubble and tree trunks for legs.
    Latches on and controls as a run-blocker with good hand placement, easy knee bend and awesome power to simply maul opponents, often driving them yards off the line of scrimmage. Keeps his legs driving, showing good spatial awareness and body control to keep his feet in traffic. Good quickness for the down block and shows surprisingly light feet to adjust to moving targets when asked to block at the second level.

Developing pass blocker with all of the physical traits scouts look for in an NFL left tackle. Quick out of his stance, plays with good flexibility and has the long arms and strong hands to catch edge rushers and ride them out of the pocket. An exceptional talent just scratching the surface of his potential.

WEAKNESSES: Only two years of starting experience and played in a relatively simple collegiate system which catered to his strengths, rarely asking him to pass block on an island. Catches edge rushers and rides them wide but must learn to slide his feet more consistently or he will draw penalties for holding when matched against NFL speed.

Can be a bit high off the snap. Can play too low, at times, leaving himself vulnerable to over-arm swim moves.

Has only played on the offensive line since his junior year in high school (2009).

COMPARES TO: Anthony Davis, San Francisco 49ers - Like Davis, the physically-gifted talent selected No. 11 overall in 2010, Robinson boasts all of the traits to emerge as a dominating presence in the NFL. Whereas Davis entered the NFL with a history of weight issues and immaturity serving as potential red-flags to scouts, Robinson's relative inexperience (especially in pass protection) appears to be the only thing that could keep him from earning a blue chip grade.

--Rob Rang (2/5/14)
    Another rush job to keep this thing moving.
    vstexas09 has contacted me and asked me to post his pick which I will post momentarily.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

On Behalf of vstexas09.

With the 4th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft Cleveland Browns select:-

Blake Bortles QB USC

STRENGTHS: Good height and a NFL-build. Very athletic mover and picks up chunks of yards with his legs. Anticipates pressure and uses his mobility to move the pocket. Quick feet with very good pocket footwork and maneuverability.
    Climbs well and keeps his eyes downfield. Good set up and delivery with a balanced base and quick eyes to survey his reads and take what is there. Terrific peripheral vision and feel to see the entire field. Above average poise and accuracy under pressure. Efficient decisions and always under control of the situation.

Smooth release with good zip and the arm strength to get away with off-balance throws. Very good rhythm and timing from snap to delivery and won't shy from tight windows with his confident arm. Tough, hard-nosed ballcarrier and delivers well on the run.

Strong competitor and exudes toughness, leadership and confidence. Coachable with a high football IQ - game comes natural to him. Hard worker on and off the field and already prepares like a pro. Very alert and observant. Recorded 71 career touchdowns (56 passing, 15 rushing) and a .815 winning percentage as a starter (22-5 career record).

WEAKNESSES: Can make every throw, but lacks elite arm strength. Ball placement has room for improvement and his touch is undeveloped. Throwing mechanics have room for refinement. Doesn't always step into his throws and will sometimes deliver with his momentum falling away from his target.

Needs to learn how to better use his eyes to hold defenders - will too often lead defensive backs to the intended target. Not afraid to take chances, but too many risky throws.

Room to improve his spatial awareness from inside the pocket. Deep accuracy is a work-in-progress. Ball security when scrambling has room for improvement.

COMPARES TO: Mix of Andrew Luck (Colts) and Jake Locker (Titans) - Bortles has the arm strength and delivery that is reminiscent of Luck and also the mobility and some of the inconsistencies of Locker. Bortles projects to the NFL somewhere in the middle of those two players.

--Dane Brugler (1/8/14)

This is vstexas09 own selection and not BPA.
    Oakland Raiders are on the clock! Rezdawg - you're up!

1 person likes this.
  5. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

There's a lot more to it than the underwear olympics. When I watch tape, which imo is infinitely more important than stats or combine results. I see a very talented but very raw player that needs A LOT of work. He doesn't play at 4.53 in actual games. He has terrible route running. It's mostly go routes. He benefited from having a QB that could extend plays until he was open. On the plus side, he's very athletic. Is good at working back to the ball on those extended plays and is very good at fighting for the ball and coming down with it, even with a defender right on him. His potential is great, but will he live up to that potential? I have no idea. But personally, I wouldn't take that risk. Like I said, I would rather take Watking(of course), Lee(who is imo the most NFL ready WR. Great rout running, quick in and out of his breakes, dynamic with the ball in his hands. Minus, had a lot of drops this year and injuries) and Beckham JR(great hands, good rout running, well rounded WR).

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Damn, this is pretty cool. Wish I would've clicked this thread sooner.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's too late to get in.

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

There are still teams available! Pick from those without a GM.
    1. Houston Texans - Autopick - Jadeveon Clowney DE/OLB (Def, BPA)
    2. St. Louis Rams - sugrlandkid - Sammy Watkins - WR
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars - raining threes - Greg Robinson OT (Def, BPA)
    4. Cleveland Browns - vstexas09 - Blake Bortles QB
    5. Oakland Raiders - Rezdawg -Raiders are on the clock!
    6. Atlanta Falcons - K-Low_4_Prez
    7. Tampa Bay Bucs - FLASH21
    8. Minnesota Vikings - BIG-Tnguyen
    9. Buffalo Bills - Plowman
    10. Detroit Lions - Harden2Dwight
    11. Tennesse Titans - thething
    12. New York Giants - FLASH21
    13. St. Louis Rams - sugrlndkid
    14. Chicago Bears - FLASH21
    15. Pittsburg Steelers - Plowman
    16. Dallas Cowboys - dc1985
    17. Baltimore Ravens -
    18. New York Jets - M.G.
    19. Miami Dolphins -
    20. Arizona Cardinals - AnHero
    21. Green Bay Packers -
    22. Philadelphia Eagles -
    23. Kansas City Chiefs -
    24. Cincinnati Bengals -
    25. San Diego Chargers - AnHero
    26. Cleveland Browns -
    27. New Orleans Saints -
    28. Carolina Panthers -
    29. New England Patriots -
    30. San Francisco 49ers - NewRoxFan
    31. Denver Broncos - rezdawg
    32. Seattle Seahawks - Ziggy

It seems PM's are not alerting posters, this means you will have to keep an eye open for the Pick Posts where the selection is posted and mark the time - you will have 4 hours not counting the hours between 10PM - 7am.
    You can post any time but picks will not be auto between those hours.

9. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

I still want the Ravens if they are available

10. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I wonder how long it takes to activate editing privileges?

Sir Geving has Baltimore Ravens
    and vstexas09 also has Miami Dolphins

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

wattafan, bortles is from ucf, not usc

just FYI when youre able to edit

12. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

I'll take saints and colts (if available?)

13. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

garthomps has Saints and Dolts
    Wattafan will take Jets and KC

14. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Just saw Mike Evans and Mike Tomlin at Red Lobster . I doubt Evans will last that long but maybe Steelers will try to move up a few spots

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I emailed the Raiders pick in...but Im guessing it'll be up first thing in the morning.

16. Plowman

Supporting Member

Are you a Steelers fan, DAROckets? If so, I wouldn't want to deprive you of picking for them. I already have Buffalo.

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

With the 5th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select

Khalil Mack OLB - Buffalo

STRENGTHS: Strongly put together frame with good body thickness throughout. Very good take-on strength with powerful wrists and hands, using his arm to jolt and lock out.
    Plays fast in pursuit with very good closing burst. Smooth lateral movements with good range, surging with his hips. Uses his length well to engage, swim and swat and uses a wide array of moves to keep blockers guessing.

Active and powerful upper body to rip through blocks and won't stay tied up long. Physical striker and hits through his target. Keeps his eyes elevated to quickly locate and track to chase and finish.

Versatile skill-set and has experience lining up all over the front seven. Relentless motor and feeds off the energy of the game. Four-year starter (48 career starts) and didn't miss a game due to injury in college. FBS career records for forced fumbles (16) and tackles for loss (75, tied with Jason Babin).
    He is built very well for the position with good functional strength and movement skills to quickly disengage blocks and easily accelerate to chase down the ballcarrier or disrupt the pocket. Mack did most of his damage against mediocre competition in the MAC, but he also showed he can match up against top tier teams with excellent games against Ohio State and Baylor in 2013.

His natural skill-set projects him as one of the draft's top pass rushers and probable top 10 selection.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal range in coverage and needs to play with more consistent leverage and fluidity in his drops. Room to improve his instincts in space to do a better job anticipating the action.

Not the most consistent tackler in space. Doesn't always explode off the ball and needs to improve his snap anticipation. Needs to do a better job keeping himself clean through traffic.

Missed the 2012 season opener due to a one-game suspension for violating team rules. Needs to stay focused and prove he has the mental aptitude to make the jump to the next level.

COMPARES TO: Robert Quinn, Rams - Mack is a little more versatile, but both have an excellent blend of quickness and power to be effective sacking the quarterback or stopping the run.

--Dane Brugler (2/11/14)

Atlanta Falcons are on the clock 7am 03/27/14

NOTE - Please do not wait for me to post these picks for you - it will take wayyy too long as I have work commitments. When you know your turn is up, go ahead and design your own post - make it as flashy as you wish with pictures or whatever you want.

18. raining threes

Sorry I missed the pick.

I had to work late.

Going on vacation starting tomorrow.

Will be checking in.

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

naw I'm Texans .. just was eating in college station and saw them having dinner together

20. Plowman

Supporting Member

Thought so...just thought I'd check.

I'm more than happy running both anyway.