1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clutch, Rocket's insiders, etc: Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 16, 2014.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

If you had to rank the available max-level free agents/trade targets this summer, how would they fall on the Rockets priority list? Obviously LeBron would be at the top, but after that it's not clear who the Rockets would prefer.

For this exercise, let's assume they all "cost" the same, i.e. Rockets send out Asik, Lin, young players and/or picks.

Players under consideration:

LeBron
    Bosh
    Love
    Melo
    Rondo
    Dirk
    Aldridge

My darkhorse.......Bosh. Just 4 years ago, Morey was on his doorstep with this revolutionary device called an iPad. His value has been diminshed because of role, not skill.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lebron
    Love
    Bosh
    Aldridge
    Melo
    Dirk
    Rondo

(not an insider)

3. basketballholic

I agree with larvs8. But Aldridge isn't available.

4. Nook

Nook Member

LBJ
    Love
    Dirk
    Melo
    Bosh

I think that Morey is a huge fan of Dirk, even at his age. He is under rated defensively and is close to a perfect fit.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Probably true, but at most you've got 2 years left of "elite" Dirk versus 5 of Melo and Bosh. Also, Bosh gives you backup center minutes and makes us elite defensively in the half court.

A team like the spurs would counter a Bosh/Howard lineup by going small, which means we would need to invest our MLE in guards and small forwards, ie Sergio Llull and Kostas Papanikolaou.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

This makes me want to cut myself. I respect Dirk as a player but I absolutely can't stand him. He's up there with Kobe on my punch in the face list.

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

I also can't stand Dirk. But I have to admit, he would be a pretty great fit next to Howard...
    My main problem with Dirk, besides the fact that I have never been able to stand him, is his age. He doesn't fit with our young roster that is going to be able to grow together, and with him our title window would be 1 or 2 years tops, instead of the potentially 4 or so with Love/Melo/whoever else.

That and the fact that I think there is no way Dirk would leave Dallas.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why is Dirk on any list? That fellow is more likely to play for the French National Team than any NBA squad not named the Mavericks.

LeBron, who is absolutely not coming to Houston, is more likely than Dirkie.

9. Nook

Nook Member

I normally would agree with you...... but if a team like Houston offers him a 4 year 60 million dollar deal... and the Mavs are offering him a small portion of that, then Dirk has to strongly consider it.

Cuban HOPES to get Dirk resigned at a low number so he can add other players. A team offering a huge deal forces Cuban to make a long term decision that he really doesn't want to make.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Speaking of dirk, he is no longer a max level FA. Dude has already stated that he will come back for less money. He's been publicly campaigning for Melo on the mavs.

11. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

LeBron
    Love
    Melo
    Aldridge
    Dirk
    Rondo
    Bosh

Dirk would be higher, but his age is a major factor that lowers his place on this list. 2-3 years of Dirk < 4-5 years of the others above him.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

LeBron - Best player in the world
    Love - Young and fits perfectly
    Aldridge - Younger than Bosh by a couple of years. Fits well and can play backup center.
    Bosh - Older than Aldridge. Fits well and can play backup center.
    Melo - Very good player, but his skills are somewhat redudant with Harden and Parsons.
    Rondo - Late 20s. Not an elite scorer. Could setup Harden/Dwight.
    Dirk - Good for a 2 year run.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

1.) Lebron
    2.) Love
    3.) Melo
    4.) Aldridge
    5.) Bosh
    6.) Lowry...not max level
    7.) Dirk
    8.) Rondo

I added Lowry to my list!...:eek:

(I peeked inside once)

14. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

why do some of you guys want Bosh over Melo? He is nowhere near the player Melo is....his defense has slipped significantly, his offense was horrible in the finals (and frankly most of the playoffs), and he rebounds worse...

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

Patterson.

16. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

LeBron
    Love
    Dirk
    Aldridge
    Rondo
    Bosh
    Melo

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are alot of insiders on the Garm today.

Answer is simple... the priority is to get the one you can actually get.

Love can be had most likely the quickest coming up on draft night. I assume he is priority #1 right now along with other draft moves.

All others will likely be either available or not come July 1st. By that time Morey will know who is available and who isn't and go from there.