1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Clowney with Season Ending Injury (microfracture surgery, out 9 months)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tenchi, Dec 4, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Everything you say here is true. I myself don't have a good feeling about him either because he's essentially shown very little since his junior year. However, there's still a chance that Clowney may come back fully healthy and monster produce next year. As such, He cannot be legitmately considered a bust until he totally fails on the field. Now, as for this season and the fact that he was the very first pick in the draft, I think it's fair to say that given his total lack of production, his was a wasted draft pick.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't understand this logic. Why would he never be ready to play in the league if he isn't ready by training camp?

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

If he hasn't overcome a meniscus in seven months, he's never going to be healed or injury free enough to play a significant amount of time in the league. Especially considering how much his game thrives on his athleticism.

4. Brando2101

Thanks Doctor.

5. Two Sandwiches

Just keeping it real. The average timetable is 4-8 weeks, and that's being conservative. Unless we hear that they did something significantly different than his meniscus, he should be fine to return within 28 weeks or so. Even a repaired meniscus would take maybe half that long to get back to the field from. If not, I will question whether his knees truly are shot, and I'll probably consider him a bust. Just my opinion, but if he can't make it back in that time, I think he's gonna be worthless. Unless, of course, he has a different ailment in between.

I still have a ton of hope for the guy, despite my initial outrage. But these are my loosely established guidelines of hope.

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

From a purely medical standpoint, you are wrong. Meniscus repairs (not the type where they just cut it and ur good to go in a couple weeks), generally take anywhere from 2-4 months to repair. Most of the time when a meniscus repair doesn't work (like perhaps Clowney's case), its due to the individual putting too much strain on it in the early healing process. The stiches simply come undone, the meniscus doesn't necessarily degrade or tear further. So the statement that "If he hasn't healed by now, he never will" is simply not medically accurate in Clowney's case.

1 person likes this.
  7. Brando2101

I can't believe this thread will go on for another year. Really thought Clowney could end it by coming back and silencing critics. Now, have to do this until next September and HOPEFULLY this all goes away. God help us if the knee surgery is extensive enough to keep him out for a year from now.

8. Two Sandwiches

Doctor?

Just curious of your sources.

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

I have a personal relationship with Texans' Dr. Lowe.

10. Two Sandwiches

I do agree with everything that you said. And by the way, the timeline you gave is about what I said as well. I was being conservative and estimating for a meniscectomy. If they do a repair, it'd be longer (I implied 4 months, which is pretty average). How is that wrong from a medical standpoint? Unless you know more than I do about his situation.

As I said, he could have some sort of setback, but I fully expect him to be back within seven months. If not, the bust crowd will get substantially larger.

I'm not trying to root against the guy, I was initially simply responding to someone saying something about him possibly not being back by training camp. By all indications, medically, he should.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We could be a 10-6 team adding a #1 talent next year.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And potentially a beast NT as well.....not to mention whoever we pick in the first round. Next season could be really exciting depending on the schedule.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Depends. If Fitzpatrick is still at the helm, this team needs to have a top 3 defense in the NFL in order to make some serious noise. If Clowney/Nix prove to be legit that could happen but the secondary might still be mediocre.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you say that, they are "making noise" right now.

15. val_modus

val_modus Member

I don't disagree with your timeline, its just very possible that the stiches opened up before he should have put pressure on the knee.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

so does clowney elevate them to 12-14 wins? i don't think so. he will help, but the texans problems revolve around starting an average backup qb.

17. Two Sandwiches

Oh, I completely agree. I doubt that a highly skilled surgeon botched a meniscectomy, like some around here say. The more likely explanation is too much activity, too soon, causing a setback.

18. Two Sandwiches

I my opinion, Clowney, Nix, a rookie (inside linebacker maybe), and Mallett could easily do it. Key word is "could", as we don't really know what Mallett brings. At all.

19. Mr. Clutch

Not with the same qb. I'm assuming we can upgrade to someone at least average for a starter.

20. Mr. Clutch

How about also adding a second round guard?

No we can't assume all our crappy rookies will all of a sudden be good