1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clowney hurt

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jay713, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's actually pretty funny that you post this in that it's people like you that make every thread about one or two posters rather than discussing the topic at hand. At no point did you even attempt to stay on topic....this is how threads get derailed.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree... it would be best if folks simply ignore him and avoid responding. Those of us that have long ago put him on ignore would sure appreciate it (much better to simply see all those blue lines in the Texan threads and red lines everywhere else).

If folks don't know... Go to User CP, Click on Edit Your Ignore List, and type in the name of the person you wish to ignore.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's amazing that Clowney was the only one to step into the supposed injury hole. If I recall there were several other players on the field that day as well.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, didn't happen, Swearinger was lying about the whole thing because he has it out for the field crew.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The better explanation is Clowney lied to Swearinger so he wouldn't seem injury prone.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Clowney is one of a growing list of players who have gotten bit by the Reliant turf bug. Not all that surprising anymore.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I'm sure that's exactly what happened, he was on the field in pain and the first thing he thought of was "I need to come up with a lie so I don't seem injury prone". Absolutely the most logical possibility.

1 person likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jadeveon Clowney says he's ready to hit someone. Still not certain when he'll return.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/520616002930106368">October 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clowney has been cutting on his knee. Says he's ready to hit somebody. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/status/520616435119583232">October 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clowney said he would like to play on MNF if he's able to. Still not sure.</p>&mdash; Dave Zangaro (@DZangaro) <a href="https://twitter.com/DZangaro/status/520614926218723329">October 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Clowney was asked what he thinks when he sees what Watt's doing. Said he thinks he can do the same thing. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/520615270113873920">October 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That quote is awesome.

We can only hope.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

I would absolutely love to have him for MNF, hopefully he's ready.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Clowney said he doesn't know if he'll play vs. Steelers

— Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) October 10, 2014

Is that a BO'B ploy?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it would take an unforeseeable setback to keep him out. By all reports, his recovery has been on schedule.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans' dream tag team looms when Clowney returns

Once the Texans unleash their other defensive beast, it could be a match made in pass-rush heaven.

J.J. Watt, the Texans' only consistent pass rusher, is off to one of the greatest starts of any defensive player in NFL history with three touchdowns, four sacks, 20 quarterback hits, seven tackles for loss and six deflections.

Imagine what Watt might accomplish once Jadeveon Clowney returns to the defense.

Whether it's the Oct. 20 Monday night game at Pittsburgh or six days later at Tennessee, Clowney is eager to complete his rehabilitation from arthroscopic knee surgery and see if he can become part of the solution to the slow starts that have contributed to three losses in four games.

"I want to hit somebody," Clowney said Friday.

Maybe Clowney needs to knock some sense into his teammates so they'll understand the opportunity they're allowing to slip away.

The Texans' failure to generate anything positive early in games has plagued them in their recent tailspin that has cost them first place in the AFC South after Thursday's 33-28 loss to Indianapolis - a game in which they fell behind 24-0 by the end of the first quarter.

Clowney could only watch as the Texans staged a ferocious rally but fell short in the last five minutes when receiver Andre Johnson and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick lost fumbles that allowed the Colts to beat them for the fourth consecutive game, reducing the Texans' record to 3-3.

"It's frustrating to see my team out there fighting, and I'm not able to help them," Clowney, 21, said. "My biggest goal is to get back on the field and help my team.

"I'll come back fired up. I haven't hit anybody in a long time. I'm looking forward to it. I'm just going to try to get after the quarterback and do my job."

The question is when will Clowney be able to do the job expected of him after the Texans selected him with the first pick in the draft?

Since the Texans made him a multimillionaire, Clowney suffered a sports hernia that required surgery during OTAs, missed two preseason games because of a concussion and had surgery to repair a torn meniscus cartilage in his knee.

Better safe than sorry

Coach Bill O'Brien didn't sound optimistic Friday about Clowney playing against the Steelers.

"He's progressing, but I'd say it's still 50-50," O'Brien said. "He's getting better. He wants to be back, (but) you've got to be careful bringing a guy back too early when he's not quite ready.

"We've got some time to sort it out, (but) I'd say it's iffy whether he'll be ready for Pittsburgh."

"Iffy" isn't a description fans want to read about Clowney, but O'Brien is right. It would be foolish to rush him back, no matter how tempting it is to think about Watt and Clowney attacking Ben Roethlisberger from different angles.

Even if it's during the second half of the season - at home Nov. 2 against Philadelphia or even Nov. 16 at Cleveland after the open date - there's no reason to risk aggravating the injury and forcing Clowney back to the sideline.

"I'm still in the healing process," he said. "I feel all right. The trainers are really helping me get back into football shape and make my knee better.

"I talk to the trainers every day about how I respond to the drills and what they have me doing. I can run straight. I've been doing some cutting. It's coming along. I trust my knee."

Soaking in knowledge

The time away from practice and games has allowed Clowney to work on the mental part of his game. He's making the transition from college defensive end to outside linebacker in Romeo Crennel's 3-4 scheme.

"I'm learning a lot of football," he said. "I've learned a lot from the guys, and they've helped me keep up in the meeting room."

When Clowney is healthy, he better return with a vengeance. He was drafted instead of a quarterback because the Texans had him as the highest-rated prospect available. They selected him to help take some pressure off Watt.

While he has been sidelined, Clowney has been watching Watt. And learning.

"Watt plays great every game," Clowney said. "He's a great leader. He gives 100 percent on every play.

"I'm ready to come back and help him. I believe I can help him by getting after the quarterback and making plays."

Watt and Clowney, the Texans' tag-team duo.

The only question is when?