1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clock Shenanigans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SeeingRocketRed, Mar 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I was super pissed at the time, but I'm trying to look at it positively. I think it was just a double misunderstanding (even the missed out of bounds) - the ref didn't blow the whistle for OB because he knew the play couldn't be completed in the remaining time, and the timekeeper anticipated the whistle and made the correct move for the whistle.

I am 88% sure that had that shot gone in, they would have waved it off because of the clock.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What I want to know is how the scorekeeper would have even been able to see that Cunningham stepped out of bounds from halfcourt on the ground level to know to stop the clock?

I dunno, but the whole thing baffles me. Mauer did the thing were he basically baited Dwight into a turnover throwing the ball in the backcourt. I actually thought that was pretty funny.

Had they actually made the shot though I think nowadays with the accountability they are held up to and the scrutiny they get from the media that holds them under a microscope, they would have heard about it from the league.

There is no way they could have brushed those shenanigans under the rug. However that doesn't mean they would have changed the win or anything.. They just would have looked really bad which in the playoff race implications, and the draft pick implications... doesn't really mean S$%#. First the missed call on Harden in the Memphis game, and then that game... yeah... and there is NO bias towards Houston around the league at all.

I'm sure @Hoopscritic would have thought the clock was actually running at the correct speed.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious... the timekeeper is supposed to use the whistle to start and stop clock? I have kept time for AAU games in the past and for those games the refs instruct to watch their arm drop, not the whistle.

Regardless... the timekeeper would react to the ref... not to the play itself.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Most cases aren't this extreme. There wasn't really a "call" to be made, he was out of bounds. I imagine most time keepers don't even pay attention to the whistle when a ball is clearly out of bounds. The second it lands out, the clock stops.

5. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

yes it was. Just ask Houston-Jazz watchers and you'll get an education.

Dwight could not grab the ball entirely but was very smart to slap it high in the air. That clock was not running fast enough eh ? Old trick that needs to be fined. Pathetic that it would even come to a one hand heave.

6. Manos

Manos Member

Exactly what came to mind.

Me too, was a terrible no-call.

7. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

like some have said, clock stopped because they assumed there was no possible way that out of bounds call could have been missed...unfortunately they underestimate late game calls against the rockets

8. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Because they have a monitor in front of them?

9. photojoe

photojoe Member

I was busy last night and was only able to catch the game for parts of it here and there. I missed this play. Is there a gif or video anywhere of what happened?

10. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Off with Ken Mauer's head!

11. LG1200

LG1200 Member

just for FYI, refs have belt packs that automatically stop the clock to the frequency of a blown whistle. time keepers however are still supposed to manually stop the clock as a back up. they can also start the clock from the belt pack

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Did anyone check up to see if Gene is ok?

13. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

Can anybody post a video of the "Mauer baiting Dwight into committing a half-court violation", please? I wasn't able to watch the game and have heard multiple references to that incident. I'd love to see it for myself.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The refs have control of the clock

15. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

if the shot go in it will be a replay disaster
    NOP will complain the shot is good because there's still time on the clock
    Rockets will complain the clock isn't right and it should be Rockets ball

16. hakeemthagreat

Can anybody post a video of the last play?

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

<iframe src='http://streamable.com/e/in9l' width='560' height='314' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen scrolling='no'></iframe>

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The clock operator is supposed to be trained to operate based on the signals given from the referees. If they are watching the monitors only then they aren't going to get the full vision of the refs if they go out of the picture display. I seriously doubt the clock operator is facilitating the game off of a monitor.

19. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Did Dwight strategically try to spike the ball down to a) keep the ball going away from the rim and b) kill as much time as possible? Or was it just knocked out of his hands from behind?

Besides the Jazz "homecooking" incident, the other memory this play immediately brought up was this :(

[youtube]XWSbgAzTDks[/youtube]

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, if you go to any games and will sit near the control table, its not hard to find out that most of those people there are watching the games through the monitors (of course they could have more different views than what we have seen on TV), even for lots of the commentators, they rely more on the monitors than watching the live actions on the floor nowadays except maybe a few of the very old school guys.

New tech and data are used to help people making better decisions and do their job easier nowadays.