1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cliven Bundy: Welfare Rancher & Insurgent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

A pretty detailed timeline in this WaPo article.

Much more...

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Cliven Bundy: Welfare Rancher & Insurgent & Racist

I'm shocked! SHOCKED I TELL YOU!

A Defiant Rancher Savors the Audience That Rallied to His Side

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” the rancher began as he described a "government house" in Las Vegas where he recalled that all the people who sat outside seemed to "have nothing to do."

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

1 person likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has Rick Perry been involved in this situation? I am watching an interview with him on CBS this morning and he has been asked about it a few times. To Perry's credit he did say Clive Bundy is a side show.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Sounds like the perfect Sean Hannity hero.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I bet he's mad that "Any criticism of a black person = automatically racist."

1 person likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's important to ask two questions on this subject.

1) Didn't most slaves get treated well by their masters? To the point of feeling like part of the family?

2) Looking back hundreds of years later in hindsight, wasn't it a good thing for Africans that slavery ever happened in the first place? I mean, nowhere else on earth do blacks live as well as they now do in America. Let's be honest -- would you rather be living in the Congo right about now?

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It always seems that the Tea Party anti-federal government types eventually show their racism.

It is why the Ron and Rand Paul types of "libertarians" always are assorting with these folks.

Rand and Ted Cruz and other rightist federal politicians have now spoken out against their erstwhile hero.

Rand can talk about the evils of federal laws to prevent business owners from refusing to sell to African Americans, but this is too much even for him.

8. CometsWin

It certainly seems like it's always there as soon as you pull the curtain back a little bit. It's uncanny. Even in my own neighborhood, which has a lot of Republicans, I hear incredibly racist comments in passing conversation with neighbors. It's shocking really but simultaneously not altogether surprising.

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Wait- are you being ironic?

Cause if you're looking for discussion, this ***** is so beyond the pale I don't think it can earn it.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

11. CometsWin

Yeah, just quoting my favorite poster.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

^This seemed worthy of reposting.

The most his family ever had was a grazing permit for a few spring months. He now has 900 head spread over BLM and Lake Mead National Recreation Area (National Park Service). Both agencies have exhausted administrative avenues over the last 20 years and he has had two court orders (the earliest being 1998) and a rejection by the US Court of Appeals (where he represented himself).

He has degraded the land and not paid for that use. It is not the government he has not paid. He has not paid us. It is public land. This is no different from a wildcat oil company drilling in Yellowstone or some pot hunter taking a backhoe to Mesa Verde. On top of that, it is estimated that only about 35% of the cattle he claims are not branded and a significant number of them are feral. In other words, he doesn't even care for his cows.

Anybody that supports this guy is being played. He's using you for self-aggrandizement and to do whatever the hell he wants to do.

There is a reason the Nevada Cattleman's Association does not support this guy. He is a black mark on western ranching and the hundreds and hundreds of ranchers who abide by the rules and regulations when grazing on public lands are getting a black eye because of this yahoo who doesn't even understand the country he lives in.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think texxxy hasn't posted because he "needs some more information" before he considers this as racism

1 person likes this.
  14. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

When the NYT is called in to do a hit piece and throw out the race card, that's when you know that Harry Reid and his cronies are concerned about growing negative public opinion on this issue. It's the dirtiest form of damage control out there. But what else would you expect from the sleaziest politician in the game, Harry Reid? The man who openly lied about Mitt Romney's tax returns. This NYT piece is nothing more than carrying the water for Harry Reid's public image.

Reid wanted this land badly to advance his crony capitalism and failed 'clean energy' schemes. The schemes that have enriched himself and his family. He was called out for it in the public domain by Breitbart, and now he's retaliating against Bundy. How anyone can support this sleaze is beyond me -- sadly blind partisanship has replaced self-critical thinking in today's politics.

15. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

all I got out of this saga is that seems like a lot of people care about cow suffering...

wondering why there aren't more vegans in America

16. CometsWin

So the NYT coerced, cajoled, bamboozled Bundy into making these comments? Please present your proof.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You do realize there is video, right?

18. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Bundy's racist comments are a red herring. It's a distraction technique being attempted by the NYT. That's what this administration has now perfected -- the distract, intimidate, and marginalize scheme to handle opposition. They want you focused on everything but the real issue -- the real issue in this case being states rights versus federal overreach. The real issue in this case being crony capitalism. The real issue in this case being excessive use of force against American citizens... and the need for civil disobedience to protect against an over-the-top armed assault on citizens.

The same playbook being used here has been used so many times by this administration-- Distract: Call Bundy a racist, and make this a white vs non-white issue. Intimidate: Show up with guns, threaten the use of force. Marginalize: Call Bundy's supporters "domestic terrorists". These techniques are spelled out over and over by Saul Alinsky and Noam Chomsky. Take the time to read books from these two -- and you'll understand the manipulation that this administration employs on those who lack the education to identify what's occurring. When Reid called Bundy's supporters "domestic terrorists", he revealed his game plan here. It's no different than calling people "deniers", "flat-earthers", "carnival barkers", "birthers", or straight up racists, whenever this Administration disagrees with someone on an issue. They try to marginalize them -- insult them, call them names, personalize them in such a way whereas they are isolated and now untrustworthy -- regardless of the merit of their specific claims. These guys are nothing if not predictable... to those smart enough to understand what's going on.

1 person likes this.
  19. CometsWin

Yes, it's a distraction from the fact that he's in violation of the law, has lost several court cases over the matter, doesn't recognize the authority of the US government, and instigated an armed provocation of federal agents. If Tyrone and his buddies did this in Chicago they'd be thugs, gangsters, and would probably be dead or in prison right now and you wouldn't be talking about federal overreach and this kind if stupidity.

20. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Glad to hear the liberals now support full enforcement of all of the laws on the books. I suppose they now favor deportation of all illegal immigrants and also full enforcement of drug laws? Do they also support taking back Indian reservations? The hypocritical nature of their argument here hasn't dawned on them yet.

This is anything but a clear cut case of Bundy being in violation of the law. His family has been there since the 1800's, and the federal government has allowed grazing there for most of that time, until this mysterious tortoise was "discovered" on the property. Of course the federal government used this tortoise as an excuse to take control of the property -- it was a convenient, manufactured excuse to increase their power -- the goal of most governments. It's an issue of who has sovereignty -- the state of the federal government. If you say the federal government has sovereignty, then the second question of 'is that just' must be raised. The government can't afford to conduct its own affairs, running trillion dollar deficits for years and running most of their operations in a completely ineffective manner. Why then, should we entrust them with managing millions of acres of land when states are better candidates and closer to the issues?