1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

clips shopping olawakandi ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mulder, Jan 3, 2000.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Raw... kind of like a young man from Nigeria who only played soccer until U of H. Is there potential in this kid?

------------------
    The truth is out there... on the NET.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'll admit I haven't seen much of Olowokandi's game. Is he agile enough to play the power forward position? If he isn't, then do we put him on the bench? Because don't tell me you want Cato to come off the bench for 20 mins a game and be making 40+ million dollars. Ugh.

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

3. BIG D

BIG D Member

Wasn't Olawakandi supposed to be like Olajuwon? I think he be a good pick up only if we don't give theat much.

something like:
    Olawakandi
    for
    Hamilton
    Massenburg
    2nd round pick

What do you think? We should not trade Drew or Bullard there number 1 and 5 in the NBA in 3-pointers.

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

walt *ouch* is enough. it'd hurt to see tbone go... he seems to have a good heart, and if any team can polish his (or kandi's) game, it's the rockets. i'm sure though that there's some team willing to trade a long term, cheap (and better) player to the clippers for his potential, that alas, they'll probably never discover.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If any of you haven't heard, Olowokandi skipped a practice because he felt he was underappreciated after the verbal bashing he took from Mo Taylor. He (or his agent) claimed the reason he skipped practice was because he still has an injured knee and is playing at 50%.

If this is the case, those Clippers' doctors and the owners better take a look at why he's still playing.

------------------

6. popeye

popeye Member

For the record:

Kandi-man has been shopped by the Clippers often in the last several months. Having been underplayed last year for any of a number of reasons, he was an almost afterthought at camp, and his forward/center (4/5) position was redundant. His $3.6M salary this year made him an expensive "project" for most teams to acquire.

Taylor was also shopped early and then less as the season approached the twenty game mark. He also seems to be more comfortable on the team and has asked to be included in the LA Clippers long term plans.

However, talk is now that Taylor will be included in any future trade talks (again) if the Clips can't get some assurance from him and his intrepit agent that MO will be definitely be available for a "reasonable price" come this summer.

Back to O'Kandi-man

He has good shooting range, he's athletic but with suspect footwork, if that makes any sendse. I guess I mean he does not have the athleticism in his lower body as Hakeem had at the same stage in his career. (Yeah,but who does?) He has nice touch at the basket. He is a bit tentative shooting sometimes but seems to improve throughout a game with an increase in his playtime. Despite the price tag, and his "media-star quality" he will remain a "project" for a couple of years on most teams. He would be a perfect fit for the Rockets with Hakeem as his true "tutor" for the next year or so. Kandi, if he was smart would be pushing to get here. He also has a comfort zone with Hakeem, as the Dream has offered him a great deal of advice and guidance in the past.

Cost????

Actually, I think he can be had ... quite cheaply. TMass,Mack and Drew (who the Clips really absolutely love) would get Kandi and more IMHO. He was offered in another deal earlier for a lot less. Drew would be the key to acquiring him, again in my humble opinion.

Another scenario of Walt and Drew has been bandied around earlier, but the Clips really want Drew, Mack and another.

My Pick 'Em

I have liked Nesby for a while.Would love to have him included in any deal. I like the game of Taylor,but he needs to work a little harder and more consistently to earn the type of money his agent is talking. Kandi would be an afterthought as far as Rockets are concerned. They have more pressing need areas, but dang, if he's available, he could be used to build another cornerstone for the future. He is bright and he would learn very fast under the tutelage of Hakeem. As I said, probably faster than on any other team.

Kandi dollar for dollar ($3.6M/year until 2002) for Walt($4.4M/year X 85% = $3.74) would be close to my ideal trade. Definitely a NO-GO by Clip standards. But not without some arguable benfits in Walt for the LA Clippers. They need some veteran influence and an putside shot. Nesby and Taylor for Walt, TMass, Mack and probably a pick would work for me. I like the idea of looking at Taylor in our systen for half a season before we sign him on for a four to five year contract. Again the Clips would likely insist on Drew and much more.

I have been close to a couple of these trade offers in the past, and quite frankly the Rockets have been very reticent lately, so this may all be just a bunch of wasted smoke. The Warriors maybe a softer touch these days. G. St.Jean is desperate.

Cheers.

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited January 03, 2000).]

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Popeye:

*I still don't see the point of gettin Mo. He will cost the max next year and I don't think he's worth it.

Unlike Mo, Kandi probably deserves a similar contract as Cato and should produce similar numbers as him. The great thing about trading for Kandi is:

1. His value is much less than Mo.
    2. His playing style is more suited for rockets. (Defensive presence nothing more, other than an offensive threat like Mo)
    3. We also get Nesby! I just like the spark he provides.
    4. Mo doesn't like him now. Teammates don't like him. Reminds me of pip situation. He will come very cheap.
    5. He learns very quick. He's injured now. Value goes down even more.

Thought I'd also confirm it: Clippers need a PG badly. Trust me, I know. I live in LA and know quite a few Clipper fans. Drew's will be overvalued by the clips.

8. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dr. of Dunk:

Couldn't Cato be moved over to the power forward position? If that was done, Kandi could start at the center position.

Achebe:

I agree. We gotta keep Tbone. The guy has a good attitude, and besides, he could really be useful in a series against LA.

Popeye:

That trade of TMass, Mass, and Drew for Olawakandi jumps at me. Why would they not make that deal? As you reveal more information about the deals Rockets management passed up this season, your argument against their behavior becomes stronger and stronger.

I don't see what would hold up the Rockets from making that trade - it's a perfect fit! Kandi is a talented project at center. The Rockets are a rebuilding team with a great staff for developing big men. Not to mention the franchise has revolved around a foreign born center who has already struck up a friendship with Kandi! Besides, we are already overloaded at guard. What long-term future does Drew really have with this team anyway? Man, I would love to see this happen!

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited January 03, 2000).]

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oakdogg,

I'm not sure Cato could handle the power forward position for extended minutes. Forget about any athleticism he may be lacking, but he would be in foul trouble trying to keep up with the elite/quicker PF's in the league. He often gets in foul trouble trying to contest opposing centers; I'm almost scared to think what he'd do against opposing PF's. Also consider that Cato's main contribution to the Rockets above-all-else is his shot blocking ability. If you put him at the power forward spot, you will be taking much of that advantage away by moving him out of the post. Then you'd have a $40 million average-to-above average PF that doesn't like to start games and would rather come off the bench. Ouch.

Then again, if Nick Van Exel can command $77 million, who am I to deny the man his money? [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 03, 2000).]

10. alaskansnowman

I would love to get olawakandi. But we shouldn't give up too much for him. It's not like we really NEED another center. We could use a good small forward though. I pretty much like everybody on this team. I would hate to see anyone go. Wizard/Drew are primarily shooters, but who says you got to have a post up offense so that they can get off their shots. Wizard has proven he can score without the benefit of the DIT offense. Bryce is playing well recently. That floata of his is gonna come a long way too. But if it must come to this, then we must take this opportunity.

But, in the end, I dont think the Rockets will make a trade.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Alaskansnowman,

I would have to agree. I don't see a starting lineup of Olowokandi and Cato. I can, however, see a 3-way trade in which Olowokandi is involved and we end up with a better PF perhaps. Unless Olowokandi can play the PF, I just don't see him being here while Cato is... that may be inviting trouble.

------------------

12. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

If you guys are so quick to point out that we can just ship Drew away to bolster our young frontcourt aren't you forgetting that it will really hurt our awesome Backcourt? Sure Drew might not be the best thing in the world but is a solid backup, who else will play the backup 1 if he leaves??????????

if someone says KJ I will shoot them.........

--Rocketman

13. oakdogg

Rocketman,

How about Mobley? He started last season. Despite being shot happy, he still gets more assists than Drew I would imagine. Plus, his style is not that different from Francis', so the same types of plays could be run. Moreover, both Mobley and Anderson's games command more minutes than can be distributed at the 2. If you think Mobley should be ruled out because he is not a natural point (didn't play one in college), the same could be said about Drew. Besides, Drew probably would not want to stay here very long when he only gets fourteen minutes a night. I personally think he might be our best trade bait if we are looking to make trades.

Dr. of Dunk,

Thanks for the analysis of Cato at power forward. I guess I just figured he would make a better PF than center because of his size (he looks a little small for a center). Maybe he could play the Willis role on the team and back up both the PF and C positions - a pretty expensive backup, though. Overall though, you may be right about having both Cato and Olawakandi. If the coaching staff made the evaluation that Cato could do well at PF, I would like to see the trade. Then again, I may be a little trade happy.

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited January 04, 2000).]

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oakdogg,

Both Cuttino and Francis get significant minutes. We may see more of them in the same backcourt together now. Who's going to spell them if we don't have Drew? As much as people hate Drew, he's not that bad a backup guard.

------------------

15. oakdogg

Dr. of Dunk:

Mobley, Francis, and Anderson are all getting good minutes now that we are so weak at the SF position. I just foresee difficulty in getting these guys minutes when we get a legitimate SF. Besides this, I would like to know if there have been any first round picks that have been groomed into good point guards who have chosen to stay on a team where he only gets fourteen minutes a night. I don't see him taking minutes away from Anderson and Mobley at the two when minutes become harder to come by with the presence of a strong small forward. I'm just curious.

16. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

there was a report that the clippers were shopping olawakandi at nbatalk. and they said it would be for cheap, so i'm thinking a dea;l that could work out for us would be:

rockets get:
    michael olawakandi

clippers get:
    tony massenburg
    walt williams
    bryce drew

they also said that the bucks and bulls were expressing interest in him.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Interesting little tidbit. However, NBAtalk is almost always full of ****. If indeed, there is any validity to this rumor, then of course, who wouldn't be interested. Is see this guy as kind of a Motumbo. He came out early out of Pacific, which isn't a very good program, so he's real raw. That's OK though, he's young and he has all the skills you can't teach right there. Give thi guy a couple of years and he'll be like Motumbo is now. Cato and Olawikandi in the front court with Fancis, Mobes, and Anderson; forget about it. That would be the undisputed team of the future.

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I have posted recently about wasting a pick on Drew who would be a career backup with the Rockets. What do the LA Clips think of the pick that they spent on Olawakandi?

Mango

19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You may want to look at how many players at all stayed with the team that drafted them as a first round draft pick to begin with. It's a fact of the NBA that whether you're good or not, you will be traded irrespective of playing time.

FWIW, Travis Best is a first rounder who's stayed with Pacers and has averaged about 19 mins/game for his entire career.

As for Shandon, you're right, he could spell the guards. For some reason, he escaped my mind... woops.

With regards to Drew, he's a quality backup and may eventually be a good starter. But he's not there yet. When he does get there, trust me... he'll be trade bait as long as Cuttino's here. And you never know, that SF you claim we're going to be getting may be the result of trading Drew away.

------------------

20. oakdogg

Dr. of Dunk:

Agreed. There are a lot of questions - SF, whether Mobley will be kept, the draft. It should be interesting.

Mango:

The Clips have some major problems. I'd much rather waste a 16th pick as opposed to wasting a number one pick! If Olawakandi has close to the potential that should warrant his draft position, a Drew for Olawakandi deal would be an absolute steal!