1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clips and Celts must convince the NBA that Doc and KG are not packaged

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 19, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No, of course everything you are saying is making sense and I agree with your logic. I'm just going to be surprised if they end up sticking to their guns (Stern/league). But, if they do, awesome. It's good theater!

2. basketballholic

The league has already told them how the transaction has to go down.

It must be doable since there's nothing about it being completely shot down. I suspect Boston has to let go of Doc first for nothing. They have to waive the non-compete. Doc has to agree and sign his contract with the Clippers. And then the trade goes down.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Celtics and Clippers haven't talked for several hours, sources tell Y! Clippers insist they want deal done, working on ways to satisfy NBA.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/347808559813230594">June 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. justtxyank

Stern flat out said breaking them into two transactions with regards to different timing is not going to solve anything.

5. Major

Major Member

Certainly. But from the article:

The concern from the league's perspective is that Rivers' value and salary cannot be accounted for under cap rules and thus cannot be included in a trade involving players -- nor can it be negotiated as a contingency to a trade.

So reducing compensation addresses the first part of this. Still have to find a way to address the second. But the fact that both sides are still talking suggests that the league has given them some sort of implicit reason to believe that this is still possible.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No they didn't. Show us a quote that proves your statement above is correct.
    First, Stern has shot it down. Secondly, there is nothing officially sent to the league office for approval, since Stern already shot it down.

Stern flat out said this won't cut it.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It cant help that this all pretty much stems from a star player flexing his muscles to get his way once again. For as much flack as Lebron took and still takes about his super-friends fiasco, its amazing that CP3 isn't the most hated star player ever after forcing his exit from New Orleans, and now his pull in this coaching trade dilemma.

Its sad too that Doc Rivers' reputation will be very tarnished now especially in Boston where he was poised to have a statue in front of the Garden before now. KG as well to a lesser extent.

Also we are just hours away from a historic game 7 finale, but Stern is being forced to come out and talk about star players/coaches/teams trying to pull a fast one on the NBA.

This whole situation is just making a whole lot of people look really, really bad.

8. treeman

treeman Member

9. heypartner

Woj says they are not talking. Sounds like they haven't, since Stern went public.

10. justtxyank

I love it.

It's like the league saw Jopatmc's thread questioning whether circumvention was legit and decided to give him a public example. All this effort just so that jop would know the league is serious about the CBA.

11. heypartner

I'm curious about the rumor that Sterling leaked this to purposely trigger a circumvention inquiry, as a way to nix Rivers ever coming to LAC so he can tell Paul (sorry, I tried) then hire a cheap coach.

Is he that smart?

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rivers looks worst of all. I'm sure he's a hated man, not wanted back [by the fans]. And I don't blame them.

Doc too good for rebuilding. What, are you Phil Jackson now? :rolleyes:

Sorry Rondo and the rest of you guys, you aren't good enough for me. Then he even reportedly told the Clippers, "Hey, don't trade Bledsoe." Wow.

Outside of Boston though, seems Doc has pretty much gotten a pass because he's a good man, good coach, whatever. Chris Paul getting a pass too.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is what I don't get. DeAndre is all flash. He is so overrated and overpaid. I think the Clippers will be lucky to get out from under his bloated contract and have an always motivated KG for the next 2 years. NBA financial guys should not be judging trades based on NBA talent. This kind of reminds me of the Nuggets trading Nene for Javale McGee. They wanted to get out of the albatross contract Nene was going to be, although they then proceeded to give Javale an equally disturbing contract. Still, who are these NBA employees determining whether value in a trade is adequate or not? Nonsense

14. justtxyank

Doc is a punk in all of this, particularly if it is true that when the deal was being worked on he told management of the team he was NOT under contract to what players they should avoid trading for him because he wanted to coach them. I hope he ends up stuck in Boston, being booed at home games, or ends up fired and coaching nowhere next season.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Could not agree more.

16. Major

Major Member

While that's the headline, that's not the content. There are two specifics in the article:

#1:

"I would say: in the language of diplomacy that the teams are aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn't authorize trades involving coaches' contracts," Stern said. "The only consideration that can be done here in player transactions is other players, draft picks, and a very limited amount of cash. But coaches contracts don't qualify as extra consideration, or acceptable consideration in player transactions. The teams know that. It has been confirmed to them."

This one is the direct quote from Stern - but it only really clearly states that the Clippers can't compensate the Celtics for Rivers in a player trade transaction. If the Clippers don't compensate them, it's unclear if that's still a problem.

#2:

Stern told ESPN Radio Thursday the Celtics and Clippers had been notified the proposed trade, which would've sent Kevin Garnett and Rivers to the Clippers for DeAndre Jordan and multiple first-round picks, was not permissible.

This only says the current trade is out, which we already knew. Nowhere do we have any sources that state that NO trade is possible - just that this particular one isn't. Again, if you change the compensation such that the Clippers aren't paying for Rivers, then they aren't getting around the rule of trading for coaches, and the league might allow it.

I don't know if the Celtics would be willing to take less, or if the league would end up relenting. But I suspect, at the end of the day, someone will figure out a way to make this work.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Or that dumb?

I wouldn't put anything past Sterling to be honest, but I doubt it in this case. It sounds like there are more than a few leaks going around based on the multitude of reports coming out almost hourly.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should reduce Doc's salary to 4mil per year but make the Celtics pay the 3mil per year to charity. Everyone get's ****ed just enough to appease all.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

The Los Angeles Clippers' new strategy, in the wake of NBA commissioner David Stern's public comments Thursday expressing serious misgivings about the legitimacy of the proposed trade of Kevin Garnett and corresponding transaction that would transport coach Doc Rivers from Boston to L.A. as a package deal, is to pursue Rivers first and roll the dice on acquiring Garnett and Paul Pierce later on, sources told ESPN.

Rivers, whom sources said Clippers owner Donald Sterling has already signed off on paying upwards of $7 million a year for five years, is now the Clippers' primary target. Boston would require compensation, as he is still under contract for three years and $21 million with the Celtics.

The Clippers' new challenge, sources say, is thus twofold. They must offer enough in compensation to convince Boston to let Rivers go -- which would likely cement the signature of star guard Chris Paul on a new contract when Paul becomes a free agent -- and then hope that any subsequent trade agreement they pursue for Garnett is ultimately approved by the league as a separate transaction that was not contingent on the hiring of Rivers.

League sources told ESPN.com Thursday morning that previous constructions of the proposed transactions – which would've sent Garnett to Los Angeles for DeAndre Jordan, and Rivers to Los Angeles with two first-round picks as compensation, were unlikely to be approved by the league office.

#119 J.R., Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  20. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I hope they veto the KG part then haha