1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers vs T-Wolves (Griffin vs Love)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rpr52121, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

True, I hope he plays for a playoff team sooner rather than later. I hate seeing good talent go to waste. If not... there's always contraction.

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

heard a lot of big names like love. hopefully they want to play with him. if he has an above average PG playing with him, he can put up 25 and 15 EASILY. that's how good he is.

griffin and the clips have it good for the next decade unless their ownership messes it up again. and griffin can easily average 30 points at some point in his career.

it's good to see some emerging big men, since there are a bajillion great guards nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  3. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

So did Brandon Roy.... for a while.

There's only so much surgery that your knees can take before you are done.
    And if you play that much above the rim, all it could take is one undercut by some punk and that migh be it for you.

4. Honey Bear

Ive always preferred big men to guards, especially guys with craftyness. And yeah there are alot of great guards but no unconscious ones. Tim Hardaway knows what Im talking about.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, so Blake Griffin is an injury risk and Kevin Love isn't?

SMH....

DD

6. Honey Bear

Roy is a meniscus issue that is exclusive to him. You and that guy who used to play for the bulls should catch a movie sometime. The 'im a lotto pick but wont drive to the basket because of all these sprained ankles I keep hearing about' guy. Granny this is the nba not poker night at the local hall, you gotta take some risks.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

every player is at risk for injury. you can be a finesse player and be injury-prone (brandon roy, yao ming), or you can be an athletic player and be injury-prone (tmac).

i dont' like it when people think from a certain perspective and say this player "may" be injury-prone. when you play ball, you don't think about that. if u do, you won't be playing at your best (e.g. tmac).

blake griffin has superior athleticism. let him use it. as he gets more experience and refine his game, he'll curtail it b/c his game has expanded.

i don't know how people on this board can predict injuries for players, unless they have a 3-4 year injury history like yao ming

for me, it doesn't matter what position a player plays, as long as they dominate in an efficient fashion.

historically, you win with big men though. but superior guard play has helped determine championships a lot in the past decade.

8. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

LOL

I completely agree that you have to take some risks with the players that have the ability to be special. And hell yeah I would take Griffin out of the Clippers hands if he became available.

That being said, I find it funny when people constantly berate the front office for investing in Yao/TMac and trading future prospects for contributing role players and now some of the same people are crying about the Amare trade that wasn't.

Generally,

Players with a history of multiple surgeries -> usually increased injury risk and shortened career.

+

Players, whose game relies on athleticism more than usual -> need to improve the skills to compensate for lost athleticism. Some do (i.e. Kobe, Amare), some don't (i.e. Steve Francis).

+

"Reckless" playing style -> Probably more injuries.

You don't have to pretend that these issues don't exist and players' injury histories doesn't matter because they in most circumstances do. You can still take risks with these type of guys but you better have a supporting cast fast or at least a quick plan for one or otherwise your window might close very fast like it did for Rockets & T-Mac & Yao.

1 person likes this.
  9. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Blake Superior

10. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

yao ming and Tslack were supposed to be a dynasty

we got screwed.

11. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Obviously Griffin is more prone to a serious injury than Love.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who said "one month." It's two months...exactly 60 days and 28 games since his breakout 44/15/7 game.

So, yeah, I still say you are missing the point regarding your comment on stats, "Griffin has Love on just one stat, assists."

Griffin has been consistently freakish all year; it's just that it took the Clipper's part of November to get used to it and letting him carry them; and his increase in assists (starting at the 44/15/7 game) is evidence of the ball going through him more since. With more of the offense focus on him, he went into a much higher gear (statistically speaking) the last 60 days. But he's been freakish all year. He just wasn't "statistically freakish" over the first 20 days as the team got used to him.

The statistical gap between Griffin and Love on only going to get bigger by all-star game, as the skewing effect of the first 20 days becomes less significant -- statistically.