1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers sign Paul Pierce to 3-year, $10M deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 1, 2015.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

He'll be 38 y/o when the season starts. This is Nash to LA all over again.

2. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

he's not the starting SF. they don't expect him to have a huge role like they expected nash to have. it's a safe, low risk move.

3. verysimplejason

Horry-like signing. 10-15 mins should be enough. Nice signing...

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

it's a waste of money, but hey fine by me. :grin:

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Three years?

With careful minutes management, I would say one and a half seasons of decent play. Max.

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Damn a 3yr deal for a 57 yr old player. I am not sure I would do this I don't care who the player is.

7. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Who is the starting SF then, Stephenson? I think they have to start Pierce because of size

8. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Whether Pierce starts or not, he will be limited to 25 minutes per game I'm sure. Stephenson will get his minutes as well so he will fill some of that gap. The Clippers have been talking to Wes Johnson who I wouldn't be surprised will be there starting small forward next season. He's athletic, decent defender, and can knock down open three point shots. The Clippers starting lineup was the most efficient offensive group in the NBA last year but their wing defense was god awful. They could use some sprinkle of athletic players that fill role player spots vs just a bunch of scorers.

Additionally, bench scoring and defense was really pathetic for the Clippers last year as well so having Stephenson, Crawford (if not traded), and Pierce with the second unit can hold the fort so CP3 and Blake can get some rest.

Clippers obviously need Deandre back first and foremost, but after that, they need a rim protector off the bench as well and, if they can find one, they will be set.

9. slestack11

slestack11 Member

Duncan (39) is older than Pierce. I'm sure the Spurs will be paying him more than $3M per season. Plus, the 3rd year of the deal is a team option. So it's really a 2 year deal if the Clippers want it to be. With guys like Kyle Singler getting $25M for 3 years, it seems like a great value pickup getting Paul Pierce for $3M per season. Especially with the life he showed in the playoffs last year.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I wish we had gotten him as well. He has a game that ages well. But, it seems like the Clippers had the inside track as his hometown and with his longtime coach.

I haven't seen anything definitive, but the third season is probably a team option and/or not guaranteed. Year 2 of that contract won't even matter with the ballooning salary cap -- and easily tradeable anyway.

11. i3artow i3aller

Of course he signs on Canada Day.
    [​IMG]

12. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Raptors fans celebrate lol.