1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers no longer allows Clipper Darrell to be Clipper Darrell

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 29, 2012.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

That, I would actually understand.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is another situation where the corporation has to aggressively fight copyright infringement and it make s them look bad. If they don't fight it it sets a precedent for them that allows anyone to use the Clippers logo without permission for whatever they want. It makes the company look bad, but if they don't protect their rights they can actually lose them.

We had a similar issue a while back concerning a local High School and Penn St. The school was a recolored copy of the Penn State logo. They were sent a letter telling them to stop using it or face a lawsuit. A lot of local people were upset (this was before the other Penn St. stuff) because they had to change their logo, but it was because if someone else started using the logo and Penn State sued, the other guy could use the school's use of the logo to fight Penn States claim of copyright. Chik-fil-A had a similar issue in the Northeast a few months back.

From what I read the guy was making appearances that caused the impression that he was affiliated with the team and selling merchandise without the teams permission to use their copyrighted logo. I also read that they reached out to him and asked him to consult with them before making any appearances and had originally agreed to it, but then backed off and continued making his own appearances. It's bad publicity for the team, but Darrell is not as innocent as he is making himself out to be.

2 people like this.
  3. dd89

dd89 Member

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Clipper Darrell is out for Clipper Darrell.

the whole Mark Cuban thing was completely made up by...Clipper Darrell.

they did meet but there was no monetary offer and he never promoted the Mavs in-arena.

#44 across110thstreet, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

You have a very valid point. And while I agree that this may be a potential problem, this could have been handled far better. Especially when there's no real damage/loss being done.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, clutchcity was actually trademarked. clipper is not. neither is the word "clutch" or "rocket."

clutchfans is fine
    rocketgirl is fine

because there is no trademark to that.

how is clipperdarrell not OK? I say ignore their request. If a boat captain of a clipper ship can call himself clippersam.com, how can you legally force another guy to not use the word clipper?

btw: clippersam.com is apparently not taken.

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Because Clipper Sam is not painting his boat Red and Blue, using the L.A. Clippers logo to sell his own personal merchandise, and taking money for making public appearances while giving the impression he is working for the L.A. Clippers. It isn't the word that is the problem, it is all the other stuff associated with the trademark that this guy is doing. That is the reason for the cease and desist request.

Clutch is fine. The word is not trademarked and he isn't using the Rockets logo on stuff to make a profit. It's one of the reasons I would guess, that we don't have official T-Shirts, he doesn't want to appear to be making a profit off of anything Rockets related.

And for tchou, I agree they could have probably done this a little better, but in the end it would most likely be the same results. They would still look bad, and Darrell would be playing the victim. In their defense, I have read they did make some offer to him to continue appearances but to allow them notice of what kind of appearances they would be. He supposedly agreed to that but then kept doing things without notice and without their consent.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Reading more about this story I have to defend the Clippers now. Several Clippers fans say this guy started good but now is only in it for the money and fame, videos and his current behaviour support these sentiments. The guy is shady and wants to make money off the organization, REAL fans don't have the need to get paid for their support and sell it or go public. He's the one that used the Clippers, not the other way round. They even paid for his seats and stuff yet he felt the need to make money.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That would be an excellent idea.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem here is he's been a Clipper fan since 1994. He was like their uber Rocket Rowdy, and he'd show up to games and do his best to cheer for the team. Yes the Clips gave him free seats however before Blake Griffin was drafted the team wasn't any good, and nobody came to watch them play. If he was some shady guy looking to make a buck why didn't he go support the Lakers, instead of a loser team like the Clips?

If you read the yahoo article he mentioned that in 18 years of being a clipper fan he only made $7500. That's not exactly worth cheering your ass off for 18 years on crappy team. If the Clips really needed to protect their copyright all they have to do is say anybody who wanted to promote their team needed to be a fan for 18 years first.

This is like the Rox organization coming up to Rocket Girl and asking her to stop making custom rox gear (technically copyright infringement).

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Clipper Darrell breaks down on live television

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WW6b8owdhxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I still fail to see how this is hurting the Clippers. Are they making less money now because of the guy? Are they not getting free publicity from Darrell marketing himself for personal reasons? Even if what you say is true, is he screwing the Clippers with his antics?

The guy is not exactly stealing millions of dollars of merchandising money from the Clippers. Nor is he hurting the team indirectly by attacking the organization in some way. Even if he's technically infringing whatever copyright law that Sterling's lawyers can come up with, it still make Sterling and the organization look like a-holes to me.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

OK as much as I dislike the owner, this Darrell guy seems kind of shady.

Maybe he should change his name to Sterling Darrell. I don't think that's copyrighted.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All these public appearances make him look more shady, the crying doesn't help either. You already know he boosted his level of fame 100x with that stuff and will sell more gear online.

@Meh:
    Of course he isn't hurting them from a financial standpoint, but it's just wrong if you're a fan that is not an employee of the organization and go to events trying to sell stuff. Doesn't matter if he only makes a couple thousand bucks, it's still wrong. Being a fan means rooting for your team, not making money off of it. The guy was a sincere fan but at one point realized he could make money and gain semi stardom by advertizing himself and selling gear.
    He even made several News apperances to spread the word. And don't tell me he goes on TV just to show how much he loves the Clippers. That is where he clearly crossed the line between being a good fan and being a businessman.

He has to realize this and people have to stop defending him, the Clippers even gave him free tickets and said they'd offer him to control his appearances, all he had to do was drop the name (that's how it first went down). That is a grateful offer to a fan, he wouldn't have to pay for his tickets and could semi represent them. But he goot greedy because he saw his little one man "franchise" in danger and started going on a national rant.

The man is in it for the money, no one can tell me otherwise.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Clippers organization is the reflection of Sterling's personality.

16. Yao11

Yao11 Member

Agreed. The year they become relevant, they drop all known association with "Clipper Darrell".

Here's the link to the Yahoo story about this:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...breaks-down-los-angeles-sports-000852317.html

My favorite comment had to be:

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

So I was in the section right above where Darrell sits at the game this past Saturday -- he was in his usual red/blue suit get up.

He showed up about 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter

Sat down the entire game
    led one of his usual cheers
    stood up during the time where the clippers spirit (dance squad) was out there between quarters doing their dance -- he would mimic the dancing and in the past would get on the jumbrotron as well -- this time he did the entire dance thing and wasnt put on the jumbo tron

at the end of the third when mo williams hit that big three to give the clippers a 3point lead literally the entire stadium minus rockets fans got up and cheered except for darrell who was just sitting there like nothing happened

clearly the guy is pissed that he isnt getting the same attention he used to get and of course the same level of money.

also - random i have this high intensity basketball training google ad the guy looks like a blend of Charles Barkley and Charles Smith

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I was at that game. Was looking for Clipper Darrell but didnt see him, didnt know where to look.

Figured itd either be an obvious WELCOME BACK water under the bridge thing, or itd be kinda how you described it, coming back underwhelming with "tail between his legs".

Since he's a semi-part of the organization now that could mean he's actually MORE a team "mascot" than before, so why not show him. Whole situation's just odd.

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

str8 up, they would let clipper darryl do his thing if the clippers were still losing.