1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers no longer allows Clipper Darrell to be Clipper Darrell

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Remix

Remix Member

This is like the social awkward kid that finally gets to hang out with the cool kids and decides to stop talking to his old friends. Way to show some class Flop City

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I think it's funny how he thinks their team can win it all! Lol

3. HorneR

HorneR Member

Yeah it's classless, but even more than that it's pointless.

What a ****ty organization.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I saw that episode of Saved by the Bell in 5th grade!

5. PeppermintCandy

Couldn't they just let him keep the Clipper Darrell name and persona, but forbid him from making a financial profit off of it?

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

clippers release a statement:

http://clippers.ocregister.com/2012/02/29/clippers-statement-regarding-clipper-darrell/

I've sat next to Darrell during a game he is a pretty big fan but it would be very naive to not say he isnt profiting/enjoying the extra fame he gets for being "clipper darrell" at least to the games I have been to he arrives a lot later than I would expect for someone who is their #1 fan. of late at least what I have noticed of him he cares more about being seen and known as he has become more known around basketball circles

that being said if he was offered by the clippers to be part of their org and he refused then as much as people say 'sterling is a dick' they have every right to tell him to stop using 'clipper darrell' as a name i can imagine he would want to be held to the same standard that the clippers and the nba enforces on their teams. he is making money (probably decent too) off of the team with his appearances and all - i think thats what upset the team (and well any team for that matter) that there is a guy that making a decent amount of money for their brand.

unfortunately there was no good outcome for the clippers in this - i mean if darrell did something at one of these things thats bad the clippers could be pointed at in terms of responsibility and even if they claim none it still hurts their brand. asking him to drop the moniker they are going to look like the bad guy but i think most people on the business side of things would understand.

hopefully the two can reach an agreement most people will still call him clipper darrell and all

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I liked that guy. He made boring games fun last year when I went to watch them. Dicks.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Time to switch to Laker Darrell.

It has always been a wrong choice to cheer for the Clippers.

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

that's pathetic and a b**** move by the clippers management

10. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

FIFY ;)

11. PeppermintCandy

If this is the case, then the actions of the Clippers make more sense.

Still, the fact that they waited until now - just as the franchise is finally getting some notice - to cut the guy off is kind of classless.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

My puzzlement is whether or not this is really worth it. Regardless of whether or not Clipper Darrell is trying to make money or make himself famous, is it really screwing the Clippers? Are they losing money? Losing fan support? Losing respect from around the league? If Clipper Darrell is costing them millions of dollars in revenue or something, then I can understand. If he was blasting the organization or letting out false information that's detrimental to the team, I can understand.

But from what I see here, this just seem like the Clippers telling the guy he should STFU because he's annoying.

13. stefanb

stefanb Member

you said it right there. they are a low class organization. no class at all.

14. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

If he was a criminal of some sort, then maybe I would understand it. But this is ridiculous.

Fans associate themselves with the organization they are rooting for. A team telling a fan he cannot associate himself with that organization is just ridiculous. Having fans like this is how these teams make money.

This is like the Rockets organization telling us to stop referring to the Rockets as "we."

15. Trackball

Trackball Member

Damn it, Clippers...you show your true colors once again. Even after finally getting a good team together, you do something makes me question your very existence as an organization. I mean, yeah, I can understand WHY you did it (trademark/copyright infringement), but surely you realized that going after your biggest fan would only result in a public relations disaster, right, Clippers?

No, wait.

This team was named for the clipper ships of the 1800s, yes?

Well, if you're going to name your team after a seafaring vessel, I have a much more appropriate name for you.

To me, you are no longer the Los Angeles Clippers.

From this day forward, I shall continue to refer to your biggest fan as Clipper Darrell, since he has my respect for staying with the team through thick and thin.

However, for the organization itself, I shall refer to you solely as the Los Angeles Junk.

16. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

There's gotta be more to the story than this. If not, then I'm not surprised--it's Donald sterling after all.

17. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

In behalf of the best team in basketball, you are welcome to become Rocket Darrell ;)

18. likestohypeguy

A clipper, will clipper you to death.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Morey can ask "Rocket Guy" to stop using that name.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This is the kind of **** that makes me hate "professional" sports.