1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers leave Elgin Baylor out to dry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Oct 9, 2008.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the circumstances around the departure of Clippers VP of basketball operations and GM Elgin Baylor are coming to light. the Clippers really gave him the shaft and didn't even inform the players of his exit. it took a columnist from the Orange County Register to point out that he wasn't listed in the media guide on media day. the team skirted around the question and finally came out with the fact that he is no longer with the team.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i0H_iA1A_0wlYyrI0xXPetZWroKg
    granted, the franchise is and has been an embarrassment, save for one season in which they outlasted their next door neighbor Lakers.

baylor and his lawyers are exploring options...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/10/elgin-baylor-up.html

article on how the players didn't know he was leaving

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not that I sympathize with Baylor. He's been a terrible GM for too long. But the way he left looks to be a pretty classless act on the Clippers' part.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know what to think of Baylor. While I *think* he's a horrible GM, it's really hard to tell considering that he works for Sterling.

I mean, you pretty much have to be a freaking genius to succeed in that environment.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I don't think he has been a good GM either apart from making some good decisions but I feel he is the fall guy for the Elton Brand debacle.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Come on Baylor had a hell of a run, 20 years as a GM with a losing record. In this league you get fired if you don't win in a given year let alone with a record that Baylor had. His drafts were terrible, the guy was no judge of talent. He was not treated unfairly, just because he was a legend as a player doesn't mean he should be treated with kid gloves.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i thought baylor was shafted.

the clippers have been a terrible team most of the years he was there that is true, but alot has to do with sterling who was always unwilling to pay his players and never tried to get anyone himself.

its kind of hard for a GM to make any move for any player when the players' agent knows that the player has no real financial security playing in LA. even rookies would bolt because there would be no reasonable extension coming from the owner.

their drafts havent been that bad at all...outside of the kandi debacle--they did screw that one up, livingston was becomning a solid PG before his injury. they had a bit of bad luck. its no coincidence that only after sterling was willing to open his pocketbook a little that the clippers went from being the nba ceiling dwellars year in and year out to being a competitive team in the stacked west.

wont matter who the new GM is its will always be about sterling and how much he is willing to make the clippers a legit team.

Makes me glad and appreciate that we have Les Alexander as an owner.

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. OUCH.

I am never going to complain about Rockets draft picks ever again.

9. yobod

yobod Member

While I think Baylor was probably sub-par as a GM, I still think most of the blame should go to Donald Sterling. He's obviously one of the worst (if not THE worst) owners in all of sports, and he does nothing to endear himself to fans, players, or management. I read an article a while ago about he always advertises about his big homeless shelter that he's building, but then if you go to the actual physical address, there is nothing there. He just seems like a horrible person.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I tend to agree with this...Great player, horrible GM. Granted, the way it was handled was piss poor...

11. blink

blink Contributing Member

dont feel bad for baylor at all.... he was a crappy GM

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The NBA should force Sterling to sell the team.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they should move to Seattle and make them the Super Sonics.

I don't like the fact our old foes got moved to Oklahoma.

14. adoo

adoo Member

Donald T. may be a unscrupulous jerk, but he ain't stupid.

15. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

I disagree..."Before losing his job Tuesday, Elgin Baylor presided over 21 Clippers drafts with almost no success. He had nine top-five overall picks and came away with just one All-Star (Danny Manning)."

You've gotta be either cheap or stupid to allow your GM to make bad move after horrible move. Well, hell maybe both.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I understand that Sterling gets some blame, but Baylor gets the lion's share. Regardless of what Sterling was willing to do with the payroll, Baylor had a ton of draft picks, mostly high ones, and he missed almost all the time. Sterling can't be blamed for the fact that the team never assembled a good core of young players.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They are a **** franchise becuase of Donald Sterling. Noone could win as cheap as that dude is.

18. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Bill Simmons wrote a great, positive article for Elgin after he got fired. It's a great read and it pays long overdue respect for Baylor and his contributions to basketball.

You can still read it on espn.com.

19. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

here's the latest update...

20. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

just because you struggle at work doesn't excuse crappy behavior from your employer.