1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers interested in Smoove

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Jul 6, 2015.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Smith is a lot slower and less explosive than he was in Atlanta, he's still decently athletic though. His game around the basket has declined a TON, but he's shooting better than he ever has been from three.

If DMo and Jones are both healthy we do not really need him on this team IMO. He was so valuable last year because of the injuries.

He was great in stretches but also godawful in others.

2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

He can choose. We're talking about the future, not the past. He can choose to take less money this next year. And actually he did choose to take less money to come here last season. Do you think our Bi-Annual Exception was the best money he could've gotten after being waived by the Pistons?

And I do see "his" perspective (which is actually your perception of his perspective), but Smith would be making more money than KJ McDaniels whether he signed the qualifying offer or the full MLE or an even bigger contract. $7.07M (total compensation if he signs QO) > MLE. The Rockets would themselves be paying him less, but he'd still be making more. Could he make even more? Yes, and we'll see what he decides.

3. malakas

malakas Member

he can choose as everyone can choose and Dwight next year can choose to sign for the vet min too. Please show me where another team offered Josh Smith more money than us? Who offer him a full mle?
    The fact that you even compare that Smith will be STILL making more money than a rookie that has done absolutely nothing in the NBA and certainly nothing to our run to the WCF don't think that will impress him at ALL. And taht's not even by the Rockets that from money he will take anyway even if he doesn't play a minute in the NBA.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You can tell malakas is one of those posters that absolutely has to get the last word in no matter how right or wrong they are ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I could be wrong, but isn't he a bucks fans? Can you really root for 2 teams equally at the same time ?

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I know someone who has a favourite east and west team. I've always wanted to find an east team to call my favourite but I just can't. I can't find the passion to love another team like I do the rockets.

I have gone in and out of liking certain eastern teams that I may root for in a season and hope they do well, but not really with the true heart of a fan. It's more like a thinking of "I hope that team does well this year". It's young and upcoming teams who have gotten over the rebuilding phase and are playoff bound (in the east that's nothing special though).

For me right now that is the Wizards. I like them at the moment, but not a true fan like I am the rockets. I especially like Beal's stroke, and respect Wall's game. Also they have built a frontline with strong experience. In the past, other teams have been Miami during the Zo/Hardaway days, and the Bucks during the G-Robinson/Allen/Cassell days (Cassell helps liking that team more, and I just loved Ray Allen up until he went to the damn Sonics).

7. malakas

malakas Member

The Wiz are nice. Wait till you see Dudley's interviews.

Ok..so IF i disagree with people who want to shame blame Smith into taking less money and call him disloyal and that smh we "fixed his value around the league" when we clearly didn't do anything of that sort...i MUST ABSOLUTELY not be a true rocket fan. Because I'm not a blind homer? Ok.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I would much prefer Smith. When he is playing well he makes Houston dominant. Jones doesn't do that.

9. basketballholic

you did tell me specifically that "duds" as you called him wasn't going anywhere when I suggested that he could be traded. What happened there? Bucks change of heart??

10. malakas

malakas Member

no. he asked for a trade because he wouldn't get a lot of pt this year.

11. basketballholic

okay. reasonable.

I did feel like his expiring contract combined with his skill set would be the easiest thing for the Bucks to move out for value.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

This, in a nutshell. Smoove is more important to the Rockets success than any other PF on the team. He is arguably the 3rd most important player on the team.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

For better and for worse.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

And that is why, I think he should have been offered the Full MLE. I like KJ, but we need Josh more. Harrell should be given a 2 yr contract. It's too bad that Wood can't be retained, if Josh returns.

I also feel that Morey should have reached out to Josh first, before trying to get LMA.
    We would have had to break up the team for him.

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I actually believe that title goes to Ariza, with Smith being right on his tail.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I believe Ariza is definitely a core piece on the team but Ariza cannot put the team on his back and win a game as the big dog. Smoove can do that, and has done that. Not just at Houston.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, hopefully Smith gets signed by the rockets soon, another year of chemistry could really help the team grow. I mean we could actually have a team that doesn't change out all its core players for a change...

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Smooth hasn't visited any other teams IMHO he is just waiting on all of the other dominos to fall and will sign for the $2.5.

He's made plenty of money in his career and is still getting paid from the Pistons and despite people thinking of him as a knucklehead he's actually a level headed, kept his nose clean guy.

He'll be back after KJ is figured out and we finally obtain a starting PG.

20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

If I'm another team I'm not offering Mcdaniels until Smoove is signed.