1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers Dilema

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by NewAge, Apr 14, 2015.

?

What do you do tomorrow if you are the Clippers

Poll closed Apr 16, 2015.
  1. Try to win vs Pho for a slim shot at #2 seed

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Try to lose for a more realistic shot at #5 seed

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. NewAge

NewAge Member

The LA Clippers beat Denver tonight and are headed to Phoenix for the season finale. They have already clinched over Memphis, and with Portland locked as 4th seed, they can finish either #2,#3,or#5 seed, which will be decided from the outcome of the Phoenix game as well as Utah@Rockets and San Antonio @ N.O.Pellies.

Of the eight possible outcomes of these three games, the Clipper finish as #3 in 6 out of the 8. The only scenarios where LAC don't finish #3 are:

LAC beats Pho, both San Antonio and Houston lose, then L.A. gets the #2 seed.
    LAC losses to Pho and both Hou and SAS win, then L.A. finishes as #5 seed.

Their chances for the #2 seed are very slim: it is true that both Utah and N.O are aspiring young teams but to rely on Houston losing at home the last game of the season and San Antonio losing anywhere to anyone the way they have been playing lately is a long shot.

On the other hand the Hou/SAS double win is much more likely, which opens the possibility for the #5 seed. As #3 LA would be facing injury-riddled Portland at home. As #3 they would be facing Memphis to whom they lost in the playoffs last year.

So what do you do tomorrow if you are L.A.? Try to win to keep the slim hope of #2 alive or try to lose for the more realistic chance at #5?

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Clippers lost to the Thunder last year in 6 games. Remember that epic Chris Paul choke?

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Even if we win we can still get the 5 seed. Why not go for the win and at least have a shot at 2? I'm one who doesn't even want the 5 seed but still...

4. NewAge

NewAge Member

oops! I meant the year before, 2013...

5. NewAge

NewAge Member

Who is "we"? We are talking Clippers here. Clippers can't get #5 with a win. Only #2 or #3

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I admittedly didn't read and just went off the title. My bad.

I think any team with serious title chances should try to avoid the 5 seed. Avoid the Warriors as long as you can. In a perfect world the Spurs end up at 5, but that doesn't sound like it's possible.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

That would be such a dirty move to do. I definitely want Portland over Memphis, and if everyone plays like they should, then we should get Portland.

Good thing is, it looks like there is no way we can play LAC anymore unless they lose BOTH games. Where basically a lock for Blazer or Griz, with Blazers being the most likely outcome.

8. houstonflagfan

Actually, with the Pelicans playing for a playoff spot if they win, there is a good chance they could beat spurs, we beat Jazz, and we get #2 seed

9. jman7373

jman7373 Member

:confused::confused::confused:

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Sorry, it should read: As #5 LA would be facing injury-riddled Portland at home. As #3 they would be facing Memphis to whom they lost in the playoffs last year in 2013.

11. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I would love to see the Rockets matched up against the Griz, if possible. Gasol hurt his ankle a few days ago and may not be at full strength for the playoffs. If not the Griz I think the Rockets have a good shot at beating Portland with Matthews being out.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd win. (1) I don't think Portland is going to be any easier than Memphis to beat. (2) If you're throwing games to avoid the likes of Memphis, you have no shot at a championship anyway. (3) I'd never throw a game to try to engineer what I think is a more favorable matchup. Besides being unethical, it's bad for morale.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd put my money on PHX. No way LAC covers 29 off a back-to-back. Whoa, the line is 10 now? Nevermind. It was 29 a few hours ago.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

They're not going to throw the game, but it doesn't matter. I don't see CP3 ever winning a title the way he approaches the game.

Prove me wrong, Chris.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I would assume the Clippers (and their fans) want the 4 seed to face the wounded Blazers in the opening round followed up with a chance to wreck the season of their most hated rivals, the Warriors.

Clippers want no part of the Spurs in the 2nd round regardless of home-court as #2 or road team as #3.

That said, they will not tank and lose to the Suns trying to get the 5th seed.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tanking for seeding is never good.

17. rocketsmetalspd

Clippers had a tough game last night with the Nuggets. The Suns will get the Clippers on a B2B and will be free stroking their shots tonight, the Suns could easily win this game.

18. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Personally, I don't see the massive appeal of facing Portland compared to Memphis. Both are on the downslope after a strong start, both have injury concerns, and Portland is guaranteed to get you a round 2 date with a juggernaut.

When in doubt I suppose elite defense and average offense (Memphis) is scarier in a playoff series than vice versa (Portland) but the difference is minor.