1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers Broadcasters suspended for comments about Hamed Haddadi

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Nov 20, 2009.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Umm...why in the world were they suspended? Excessive tipping (see thread in the Hangout) and excessive political correctness (this) and excessive prudishness (see Janet Jackson/"Nipplegate") are taking over in the US.

2. jose

jose Member

because comparing anyone to Borat is disrespectful, btw Kazakhs are mad that their country was disparaged by the movie.. it was a funny movie but they should have just used a made up fiction country so that no one would be offended.

Kazakhs look nothing like Borat and look Asian, European, or mixed for the most part.

I guarantee you if he was from Africa or something more people would agree that the comments were offensive.

3. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I agree with this, not sure about the I-ran pronunciation if its racist or not don't know how people feel about that but the Borat comment may have been stereotyping a bit. The one caller who complained about I-ran was only one person but I think they took the conservative approach to avoid any backlash in the ultra PC world we live in.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OK I'm slow, why is saying "the real Iran" offensive?

5. Bipolar Bear

Bipolar Bear Member

Political correctness will kill us all!

6. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I don't really get it

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I always liked Ralph and Mike and listened to them for years in LA. They are very generous giving praises to the opponents. They always laughed at Kaman when he tried to challenge Yao. They are also pretty funny. Ralph's signature oh-me-my bingo after a made three.
    That said, the complained about exchanged was border line inappropriate. LA has a large Iranian population, so this doesn't surprise me they didn't get away. At least, their comments showed their ignorance and arrogance toward Iranian basketball, which is the Champion of Asia.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think they sold out more games than the Rockets.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

I know some Iranian Jews. :eek:

Don't worry. According to my friend, all of them are in US now. :grin:

10. mazyar

mazyar Member

I'm Iranian and I'm offended by the comparison to Borat. Not cool.

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

And that's my point.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

All offensive mediums are offensive because the people who they target are offended. Look, I wouldn't go around mispronouncing America, or American, because to pronounce names/places/titles correctly is a sign of disrespect. Maybe it's not to the same degree as the n word, but it's still an insult nonetheless. As a Iranian American myself, I think when people mispronounce my parent's country's name wrong it's almost as a way of saying "Well, we're better than you, so we don't need to know how to say it correctly". Case in point, we all have a friend who has a weird name. Do you ever call him/her by what you think the name is, or do you call him/her tells you what to call him? We call our friends by the names they want to be called by out of respect.

Disrespect sets a hierarchy between the person making the insult and the person insulted, and says that the person making the insult is somehow superior to the insulted person. Does it matter how much of an insult it is? I see the same situation occur when a person uses the n word. The analysts are definitely in the wrong here, especially seeing as how they ARE LA analysts (LA has a massive Iranian population). It's ignorant and offensive. My pet peeves have always been mispronouncing Iran/Iranian and not knowing the difference between an arab and a persian.

In general, regardless of it's a slur or not, doesn't this show how as Americans we are growingly accepting ignorance? Ignorance to a country's name, ignorance to a country's people, ignorance to the world around us. This saddens me more than angers me.

13. jose

jose Member

Kazakhs are much more offended, as they look nothing like Borat anyway.

screw propaganda anyway, Iran is nothing like the American media portrays and it disgusts me that in the 21st century, people still believe that everyone has the same views as their leader, and that everyone is like the very few radicals in their country.

I did an internet search and found an informative thread:

http://www.slideshare.net/peoplesgeography/the-real-iran

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Their comments were inappropriate, I don't really see the problem.

15. Landry92

Landry92 Member

" Ohh me Ohh Myy "

Insanly annoying sentence that annoucer says when the clippers one and while make a nice play .. I like Iran I really wouldnt care if two idiots made fun of my country ..

16. ashiin

ashiin Member

Their comments were rather ignorant, and I personally hate it when people pronounce it "eye-ranian" or "eye-raq", but it's nothing compared to the N word, it's not even a derogatory term.

17. Landry92

Landry92 Member

One more thing i forgot

This just shows how unproffsional the american media is .. U should learn from the Brits ..

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So that Americans do not commit further atrocities upon other nations, and they not carry themselves in an elitist, pompous and non-respectful manner, can someone outline in better detail all the offenses that were committed in the comments?

So that we can restore the dignity to our once great nation? And future generations do not commit the same mistakes as our predecessors?

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Take it to D&D.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

From the article I have no idea what the **** anyone could complain about.

There's no reason to cater to stupid people.