1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clippers Broadcasters suspended for comments about Hamed Haddadi

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Nov 20, 2009.

1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

wow thsi is the first ive heard of a difference pronounciation of iran being offensive.

2. Francis 4 ever

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PC culture. If you polled america i garuntee you the majority of people think the correct way is EYEran and EYEraq. It isn't offensive in the least bit. It is like saying Mexico instead of Mehico.

3. Francis 4 ever

It is the way the english language is read its not EARon its EYEron.

4. FFz

FFz Member

didn't portland broadcasters make fun of yao and china?

5. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Look at Hammed Haddadi's eyes. It's racist. It's also offensive to Iranian women.

I've learned to accept racism. I don't know if that makes me racist.

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

persians decend from aryans
    it's not racism

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i really don't see how that is derogatory. I don't see how calling someone a Jew is derogatory either if they are in fact a Jew. Everyone pronounced it as eye-ranian until recently.

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Haddadi is Iranian, isn't he? Not Persian.

You say Persians descended from Aryans, so where do you think Iranians descended from?

9. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

the people from iran who i have spoke to have called themselves persian
    persians are decendants of aryans just liek the english, germans, spanish french, italians etc.

racism involves the subjugation of people from a different origination

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Persians?

You do realize that modern day Iran is Persia of yesteryear....

Back on topic: fair enough that someone complained considering the delicate scenario that exists between the 2 countries. They should note the complaint and move on - not worth much more than that.
    I'm sure they weren't INTENDING to demean Iranians (Persians for BEAT LA) - and if they were, then discipline them further.

11. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Hmm,it made me wonder,how should I pronounce this word 'Iranian' and 'Iran' without being considered offensive to someone else?

12. aghast

aghast Member

13. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

My OP says it all.

14. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

LOL wtf...that wasn't racist at all. Who cares if you pronounce it eyeranian? Lol, everything is racist these days, you eat a piece of chicken next to a black guy and its racist.

1 person likes this.
  15. soydeedo

soydeedo Member

Er...the pronunciation was offensive? Most US presidents have called it I-ran for I don't know how long and no one ever bothered to correct them.

I first read this story on nba.com and it didn't have anything about the pronunciation being the complaint; I thought it sounded a little ignorant since they went on about it a bit much, but it wasn't anything ban-worthy. Maybe a slap on the wrist and a behind-the-scenes warning so they are a tiny bit less discriminatory, but that's it. This pronunciation thing is even more ridiculous.

For the record, I am of Persian/Iranian/whatever descent.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Are you kidding me? Mispronouncing a race is racist nowadays? So what about Chase Buddinger? Should he file racism suits against everyone in the forum for calling him Bud-ing-JER? And Yao Ming should probably file suit against his whole team as well. They probably kept calling him Yao because they thought that was his first name. RACISM :rolleyes:

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

However looking at the transcript again I don't think it was the I-ran thing that got them suspended, probably the talk about the "real" Iran and the way "those I-ranian centers could really pass" comments did them in, especially if they were laughing while they did it.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Turkish - Turk
    Jewish - Jew

Nothing wrong with it at all.

19. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Being Jewish is a reflection of their religion, not where they hail from. I'm sure if there are practicing Christians in Iraq that there are Iranians who have converted to Judaism or other religions. I think you comparing apples to oranges.

Jewish refers to their religion.
    Iranian refers to their country of origin.

Big difference to me.

20. adoo

adoo Member

and this is the same Fox Network that uses "production error" as its excuse for mis-using old news footage
    :rolleyes: